Patient Comments: Hypermobility Syndrome - Cause

Please share the cause of your hypermobility syndrome.

Comment from: K., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I have been suffering with joint pain for quite a few years now. I was sent to a rheumatologist and diagnosed with hypermobility syndrome. I get a lot of pain in my wrists, knees, ankles, and shoulders. I am also starting to experience a lot of fatigue, or perhaps it is possibly a sign of poor sleep due to waking due to pain during the night. I also have an issue with my feet. Over the past few years I have had a lot of pain there too, the skin on my heels seems to be very saggy. The padding under the skin seems to have gone.

Comment from: Cheermomred, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I was recently diagnosed with Ehlers Danlos syndrome. I find it to be a very painful and so little known about it.

Comment from: makingit, Published: June 06

I have hypermobility. Though before I was injured in the military I had only minor problems. I believe what helped me through childhood and early adulthood was that I stretched every day. I did dance and martial arts. Working with PT I've notice that the closer I can get back to my "natural" range the less pain I feel. But it's a slow process. I have to strengthen the muscles but still get them more flexible. I know the frustration of not having doctors listen or understand. Try stretching maybe even yoga if you can.

Comment from: Kimbo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I am 26 years old and was diagnosed in august 2011 with joint hypermobility syndrome. I have dislocated my right shoulder twice and have now undergone surgery to try and fix it. The bones in my left foot have collapsed and I now have to use insoles in my shoes. I have pain in my knees and elbows daily. The doctors don't take me seriously but I am persistent and have made a break through with my needs being assessed.

Comment from: arieljane, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I have been diagnosed with hypermobility because it caused my feet to create bunions. I've always been able to do the double-jointed stuff with my fingers. I love running, but can't really do it anymore because every time I do, my knees or feet hurt. My hands also hurt a lot and I tend to drop things for no reason. My shoulders get dislocated and painful. How do you deal with the pain? I miss running like I used to, but every time it ends up hurting.

Comment from: Jonsie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I have suffered with Hypermobility Syndrome since I was a child but it was only diagnosed last week. I have had numerous strains, sprains, ruptured tendons, tendonitis, bursitis, plantar fascitis, and associated problems including endometriosis, depression, anxiety, migraines, IBS and chronic sinusitis, not to mention the growing pains as a child! I remember telling a doctor when I was in my 20s that I wish someone would look at me as a whole and not individual ailments as I was sure that there was a connection. I now have early stage osteoarthritis in my knees and shoulder, which may not have happened if I had been diagnosed earlier.

Hypermobility Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your hypermobility syndrome?
Hypermobility Syndrome - Treatment Question: What treatment have you received for hypermobility syndrome?