Patient Comments: Hyperkalemia - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your hyperkalemia?

Comment from: mj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I had muscle weakness, and was out of breath walking across the apartment. I was taking Dyazide diuretic, and the doctor had me taking too much potassium supplement to correct what was lost through diuretic. The doctor had me go back to original dose of potassium and I was okay. Some people are very sensitive to elevated potassium and develop symptoms of hyperkalemia when it is even a little too high. I thought I was having a heart attack! But no, I was okay after a few days of decreased potassium supplement.

Comment from: vilaskotekar, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 17

My brother is suffering from cirrhosis of the liver, portal hypertension, and ascites. He is taking Ursomax and Aldactone. Now he is taking Indian Noni Gold juice. I don't know whether this improves his health condition or causes side effects. It is supposed to increase potassium levels in the body.

Hyperkalemia - Diagnosis Question: Was your doctor able to quickly diagnose your hyperkalemia, or was it difficult to hone in on the disorder?
Hyperkalemia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your hyperkalemia?
Hyperkalemia - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hyperkalemia.
Hyperkalemia - Medications Question: What medications were you prescribed for hyperkalemia?