Patient Comments: Hyperkalemia - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your hyperkalemia?

Comment from: SmokyMtnLady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I had weakness and fatigue, cloudy thinking and tingling in my fingers because of hyperkalemia. My legs were very tired. I also felt sleepy, or over-medicated all the time.

Comment from: Doug, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 15

My episode with hyperkalemia led to muscle weakness to the point that I couldn't walk. I also had a pulse rate in the 20s, blood sugar that was very high, mental confusion to the point that I wasn't coherent, an EKG all over the place, near kidney failure, and the ER doctor telling my wife she had better gather the family. I had foolishly ignored my morning blood sugar (505), the muscle weakness, and chest pressure – probably because of the confusion caused by the increasing levels. I have learned my lesson: management of my diabetes and seeking medical attention when necessary.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 20

I had nausea, left shoulder pain, and stiffness.

Hyperkalemia - Diagnosis Question: Was your doctor able to quickly diagnose your hyperkalemia, or was it difficult to hone in on the disorder?
Hyperkalemia - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your hyperkalemia?
Hyperkalemia - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hyperkalemia.
Hyperkalemia - Medications Question: What medications were you prescribed for hyperkalemia?