Patient Comments: Hyperkalemia - Diagnosis

Was your doctor able to quickly diagnose your hyperkalemia, or was it difficult to hone in on the disorder?

Comment from: Dorie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I have hyperkalemia and have had it for over a year. What they do is put me on Lasix and nothing else. The doctors (and I have been to a lot of them) just don't care to pursue the end results. I've lost over 30 pounds and look like skin and bones, still no help from the doctors. We never get any answers from the endocrinologists. I have the heart palpitations, slurred speech, my hands are useless and when it's bad I'm bedridden because I can't walk

Comment from: romo, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 15

I had no symptoms at all with my hyperkalemia. I had a liver transplant, so I go and have blood drawn every week. I went and had blood taken, and they asked me to stay for the results, so I did. When the doctor called me in, she told me she was admitting me into the ICU. I asked why. I said I feel great, in fact, the best since my transplant and I was ready to go for my eight-mile walk I do four times a week. She told me about my potassium level and said it was high. If it wasn't for my blood work, I would not have known.

Comment from: 45-54 (Patient) Published: March 06

I had been taking several medications for high blood pressure, including a diuretic, Norvasc 10 mg, metoprolol, and an ACE inhibitor. I had a second episode of irregular heartbeat and went to hospital where I was found to have hyperkalemia. My symptoms were/are tingling/numbness in lower extremities, sweating, and a slight shortness of breath.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 06

I woke up one morning, and I had a loss of balance and was unable to stand without leaning or holding onto something sturdy. I had weakness in my lower torso and my hands. A blood test determined I had hyperkalemia. I was told to stop taking my naproxen and lisinopril. I started taking a hydrochloride medication immediately to counteract the potassium in my system.

Published: July 02

My balance became so badly messed up, I couldn't walk without members of my family holding me up. After falling while trying to walk 6 feet, I went to the hospital where hyperkalemia was diagnosed; the result of a medication I had been given.

Published: June 20

Nausea, weakness, not feeling good for several weeks, discovered with blood work.

Comment from: claire, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I think I may have hyperkalemia, I am glad to have read this article. I am a healthy middle-aged woman; I run several days a week and lift weights. However I have been taking dyazide - a potassium-sparing diuretic - for 6 years or so for Meniere's disease, for which it is very effective. In the past 6 months or so I have noticed increasing episodes of irregular heartbeats until it pretty much happens all the time, sometimes every 5th or 6th beat, like a persistent hiccup in my chest. And I think my stamina is less than it should be, my ability to run distances has been steadily declining. Also a few years back when I had a blood test for another reason, the doctor remarked that my potassium was mildly elevated. Will get this checked out soon!

Comment from: john 54, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

I am a kidney transplant patient (June '07) and I have chronically high potassium. Be careful with this as it can stop your heart and can obviously kill you. Get a list of high potassium foods and PAY ATTENTION. Bananas, oranges, tomatoes and potatoes are just some of the many foods which will aggravate this problem while sodium polystyrene will reduce potassium levels (but gives you diarrhea).

Hyperkalemia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your hyperkalemia?
Hyperkalemia - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your hyperkalemia?
Hyperkalemia - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hyperkalemia.
Hyperkalemia - Medications Question: What medications were you prescribed for hyperkalemia?