Patient Comments: Hyperhidrosis - Cause

What was the cause of your hyperhidrosis?

Comment from: anna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

Excessive hand and feet sweating is hereditary for me. I remember my grandfather had sweaty hands, and my mother does, too. I've suffered from excessive hand and feet sweating for as long as I remember, and since about three years ago, I've noticed that my underarms were starting to sweat excessively as well. Every year the amount of sweating seems to be getting worse. Recently I'm starting to sweat on my scalp, face and neck. It is so bad that I have to shower and shampoo at least three times a day, and I can never use a blow dryer to dry my hair because by the time I've blown my hair for 10 minutes, I have to take a shower again from excessive head and facial sweating! The area in which the hyperhidrosis affects me seems to be enlarging yearly. It's so embarrassing and frustrating -- I hate this!

Comment from: Mum, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 31

My daughter has been suffering from excessive sweating of the palms and feet since she was a baby. I remember when she first started to walk, she would leave little wet footprints on the timber floor! She is now 10, and it is really bothering her and seems to be getting worse. She struggles to do her school work as her hands are always wet and she struggles to hold onto the pencil. I have not been to the doctor with her yet, but am keen to hear any successful remedy stories!

Comment from: weather101, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

Since high school I've been disturbed by this illness. I so hate it most especially the time when we were having our sports festival. I just moved a little but my sweat is flowing like water in all parts of my body. I think it's hereditary because my father has it too. I want to end this suffering! I've tried almost all kinds of anti-perspirant deodorant but it just makes it worse. My armpit sweats like hell! It's so embarrassing! Please I want to end this.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

Hyperhidrosis has been devastating for me my whole life. I am 22 but have been sweating excessively since I was 7. At first the seating was isolated only to my feet, but now that I am older, the feet have stopped sweating, but my palms and armpits sweat constantly, it doesn't matter the weather! I have to change my shirts and shower 2X a day at least. I wish I could go out to coffee with friends or hold people's hands, but I can't! I have an appointment for Botox so I hope this work because nothing (Robinyl, Dri-sol, antiperspirants) have worked for longer than a week. I mostly just deal with it (wear lacy clothes that breathe) and wash my hands a lot and wipe my hands on my jeans before an interview (which is awkward because they see it), but hopefully medicine can create something with 99% effectiveness soon!

Comment from: Anonymous, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I am a teacher and have had excessive sweating under my arms for years. It was embarrassing to lift my arms to write on the board. I even had a student ask why I sweat so much. I about died! My nephew was diagnosed a few months ago with excessive sweating. I did not know that there was a thing called hyperhidrosis. I just thought I was weird. I went and asked my doctor about it. I have been on an underarm medication now for two weeks. It is amazing! No sweat! I can finally write on the board and not be embarrassed!

Comment from: Kimo, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 30

I have been suffering from excessive sweating ever since I was very young, my mom, brother, cousins, aunts and uncles on my mother side all suffer from the same thing. I can just be sitting and relaxing and my feet and palms starts sweating. it is so embarrassing and what worries me is I can get pulled over by a cop and when I'll start sweating, they might think I'm guilty of something! I don't even want to shake somebody's hands because I'm embarrassed. And sometimes they think I'm rude.

Comment from: Jakub, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I hate hyperhidrosis. I'm sweating more than I can remember. The only thing, that helps is to lean your arm in a car, and let the wind dry it. You have to keep switching seats, though. It doesn't matter what kind of weather it is or if I'm under stress or not. When I was 15, my doctor said that it's connected with puberty and it will pass eventually – but it didn't. In my opinion, it's getting worse. I hope that I will be able to do a Botox procedure; otherwise my life will continue to be embarrassing.

Hyperhidrosis - Treatments Question: What were the treatments for your hyperhidrosis?
Excessive Sweating - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with excessive sweating.