Patient Comments: Hyperglycemia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hyperglycemia.

Comment from: Gessie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

After 20 years with type 2 diabetes which was in recent years brought bang under control using medications (metformin, glitz and sitagliptin) and a strict low glycemic index diet, two months ago it suddenly rose from readings below 7 to above 17. The highest was 26.8. I am now up to 70 units of insulin as well (2 doses). And nothing is working for my hyperglycemia. The consultant said he doesn't know what's wrong; the diabetic nurses treat the symptoms with ever increasing doses of insulin and my general physician isn't sure and wants to leave it to the experts. Meanwhile, I feel awful and am sleeping my life away!

Comment from: Jeff, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

I experienced a 3 month period of dry mouth and major weight loss, I still felt fine during this time, though my wife was worried. I went into see my doctor, who ran some blood work. My sugar level was 30 mmol/lt. So next day I saw a diabetes specialist. She shot me up with various Insulin products. Shortly after I lost my sight in one eye and phased out the other. These insulin products increased my already high blood sugars into the high 40s. I decided not to take anything, as it affected me in a really bad way. It took 2 months to regain my sight and still hasn't returned to my perfect vision before I went in. In June my levels have returned to 6 and 7 mmol/lt. I'm thinking it was not diabetes, just a bout of hyperglycemia. Unknown cause as my dietary habits never changed. I now have a serious mistrust of doctors, and unless I'm dying, I don't think I'll be seeing one any time soon.

Comment from: gina moore, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I felt tired, bloated. I can't understand why they say pinworms are not harmful. How can that be! I did not feel the same. Doctors need to be more educated on this.

Comment from: Pinknut16, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I have been having frequent hyperglycemic attacks with blood glucose levels ranging from 3.8 to 15.7, two hours after food. My general physician reluctantly gave me glucose monitor to keep check but HC1A came back as normal. He doesn't think I have diabetes.

Comment from: Elba Ramos, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

My experience with hyperglycemia is very bad. When my sugar is over 250 I start having an attack, I have blackout, dizziness and after being in the floor I start hearing myself.

Comment from: BJ, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I have had hypoglycemia all my life, but a recent trip to the emergency room found my blood sugar to be 174. I had the same symptoms as l have with low blood sugar and my levels have returned to normal.

Comment from: missmuffet, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I have a slight headache and back my neck is sore when I bend it. The middle of my neck, I feel a very slight pain. This morning my blood sugar was 281 and tonight it was 217. I watch what I eat, I stay away from things like cake, assorted fruit pies, candy, etc. I have sugar free candy and things like that. Every morning I have non-sweetened apple sauce. I look on the jar for 5 grams of sugar. Should I stop eating that applesauce or what! I trying my best to stay away from sugar.

Diabetes and Hyperglycemia - Treatment Question: How was your hyperglycemia treated?
Hyperglycemia and Diabetes - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your hyperglycemia?
Hyperglycemia - Prevention Question: In what ways do you try to prevent hyperglycemia?