Patient Comments: Hyperglycemia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hyperglycemia.

Comment from: Jeff, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

I experienced a 3 month period of dry mouth and major weight loss, I still felt fine during this time, though my wife was worried. I went into see my doctor, who ran some blood work. My sugar level was 30 mmol/lt. So next day I saw a diabetes specialist. She shot me up with various Insulin products. Shortly after I lost my sight in one eye and phased out the other. These insulin products increased my already high blood sugars into the high 40s. I decided not to take anything, as it affected me in a really bad way. It took 2 months to regain my sight and still hasn't returned to my perfect vision before I went in. In June my levels have returned to 6 and 7 mmol/lt. I'm thinking it was not diabetes, just a bout of hyperglycemia. Unknown cause as my dietary habits never changed. I now have a serious mistrust of doctors, and unless I'm dying, I don't think I'll be seeing one any time soon.

Comment from: BJ, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I have had hypoglycemia all my life, but a recent trip to the emergency room found my blood sugar to be 174. I had the same symptoms as l have with low blood sugar and my levels have returned to normal.

Comment from: missmuffet, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I have a slight headache and back my neck is sore when I bend it. The middle of my neck, I feel a very slight pain. This morning my blood sugar was 281 and tonight it was 217. I watch what I eat, I stay away from things like cake, assorted fruit pies, candy, etc. I have sugar free candy and things like that. Every morning I have non-sweetened apple sauce. I look on the jar for 5 grams of sugar. Should I stop eating that applesauce or what! I trying my best to stay away from sugar.

Comment from: Suzy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I learned that I had diabetics 2 last August. I do not have insurance, for the last 2 weeks I have been extremely thirsty and nauseous. I do have some metformin 500mg tablets. Today I was very dizzy, got hot flashes, and nauseous. I checked my sugar level and it was 458! Tried to go walking but I'm short of breath. Couple of people just suggested the cinnamon and cider vinegar, just read an article on okra and slicing off the ends and in the middle, put in a glass of water and soak overnight.

Comment from: almageecruises, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I am wondering what happens with mental abilities with Type 2. We have a friendly card game couple times a month. Last game I took my 2 1k mg glumetza ER (recent change from metformin) with food just before going. I didn't check blood sugar. I played the worst ever for about 3 or 4 hours. I played well the last two hours. We gamers have discovered the use of cough syrup before or during the game has a negative effect on our playing skill. We will ask someone after they make a bone headed play. I checked my hypo symptoms and no mention is made of mental effects. What is the mental effects of type 2 and treatments for it.

Comment from: bfstacy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I have had a high glucose level for about 17 years now. I have been on a lot of medications for other illnesses so I have been controlling my hyperglycemia with my diet. So far it has been working.

Comment from: Becky, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 20

My son is 12 years old. He was diagnosed with type 1 in 5th grade when he was 10 on Jan 8, 2009. We were doing really well at managing it and he was for the most part independent. All of a sudden about 1 month ago we had to call the ambulance 3 mornings in a row and administer glucagon injections due to blood sugars in the 20's, him seizing and unresponsiveness. He had some memory loss after those episodes regarding if he had gone to school that week or done his homework. The doctor seems to think possibly he was injecting himself with extra humalog trying to get out of school etc or in a confused low state and done it and not known. This has continued and now he is in the hospital and has been for 5 days and his blood sugars are staying between mid 300s and in the 400s. No one knows what's wrong. He's getting more insulin than he has in the past month. CBC, CMP all normal. Sonogram of pancreas has ruled out an insulinoma. I too am ready to have my son back and be better. The Doctor said no reason for type 1 patients to not have a normal life if they take care of themselves!!!!

Diabetes and Hyperglycemia - Treatment Question: How was your hyperglycemia treated?
Hyperglycemia and Diabetes - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your hyperglycemia?
Hyperglycemia - Prevention Question: In what ways do you try to prevent hyperglycemia?