Patient Comments: Hyperglycemia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hyperglycemia.

Comment from: Jeff, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

I experienced a 3 month period of dry mouth and major weight loss, I still felt fine during this time, though my wife was worried. I went into see my doctor, who ran some blood work. My sugar level was 30 mmol/lt. So next day I saw a diabetes specialist. She shot me up with various Insulin products. Shortly after I lost my sight in one eye and phased out the other. These insulin products increased my already high blood sugars into the high 40s. I decided not to take anything, as it affected me in a really bad way. It took 2 months to regain my sight and still hasn't returned to my perfect vision before I went in. In June my levels have returned to 6 and 7 mmol/lt. I'm thinking it was not diabetes, just a bout of hyperglycemia. Unknown cause as my dietary habits never changed. I now have a serious mistrust of doctors, and unless I'm dying, I don't think I'll be seeing one any time soon.

Comment from: Pinknut16, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I have been having frequent hyperglycemic attacks with blood glucose levels ranging from 3.8 to 15.7, two hours after food. My general physician reluctantly gave me glucose monitor to keep check but HC1A came back as normal. He doesn't think I have diabetes.

Comment from: Elba Ramos, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

My experience with hyperglycemia is very bad. When my sugar is over 250 I start having an attack, I have blackout, dizziness and after being in the floor I start hearing myself.

Comment from: BJ, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I have had hypoglycemia all my life, but a recent trip to the emergency room found my blood sugar to be 174. I had the same symptoms as l have with low blood sugar and my levels have returned to normal.

Comment from: missmuffet, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I have a slight headache and back my neck is sore when I bend it. The middle of my neck, I feel a very slight pain. This morning my blood sugar was 281 and tonight it was 217. I watch what I eat, I stay away from things like cake, assorted fruit pies, candy, etc. I have sugar free candy and things like that. Every morning I have non-sweetened apple sauce. I look on the jar for 5 grams of sugar. Should I stop eating that applesauce or what! I trying my best to stay away from sugar.

Comment from: bfstacy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I have had a high glucose level for about 17 years now. I have been on a lot of medications for other illnesses so I have been controlling my hyperglycemia with my diet. So far it has been working.

Comment from: Suzy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I learned that I had diabetics 2 last August. I do not have insurance, for the last 2 weeks I have been extremely thirsty and nauseous. I do have some metformin 500mg tablets. Today I was very dizzy, got hot flashes, and nauseous. I checked my sugar level and it was 458! Tried to go walking but I'm short of breath. Couple of people just suggested the cinnamon and cider vinegar, just read an article on okra and slicing off the ends and in the middle, put in a glass of water and soak overnight.

Diabetes and Hyperglycemia - Treatment Question: How was your hyperglycemia treated?
Hyperglycemia and Diabetes - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your hyperglycemia?
Hyperglycemia - Prevention Question: In what ways do you try to prevent hyperglycemia?