Patient Comments: Hyperglycemia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hyperglycemia.

Comment from: Hawkeyes, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 23

I just spent 3 weeks in hospital. First diagnosed with acute pancreatitis, then jaundice, then hyperglycemia. My sugar levels jumped all over (I am Type 2). Every time they tested. If over 10 they would inject fast acting insulin. I am home now still exhausted and afraid I will go into insulin shock. Have had wicked headache for 5 weeks now and I am going back to see doc on Thursday as can't shake it.

Comment from: JPShields1978, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

I'm 33 years old; I eat regularly, exercise, and am over all healthy. There is no diabetes in my family, yet here within the last six months my blood sugar is never below 120 and usually it's over. I have the very shaky hands all the time anymore. My mother in law is very diabetic and after the first week of the shakes I have made it a point to check my blood sugar on a daily basis, which is how i know that it is always above 120. I am growing really concerned with this.

Comment from: Jim Rawdon, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 25

I am a type 1 insulin diabetic for 33 years. I take 3 injections of Novolog before meals the amount depends on my reading (sliding scale) and Lantus at bedtime. In the last year I have experienced a change in my well being in that most mornings I awake with low blood sugar 58 to 68. Obviously hyperglycemia causes my body problems thereafter during the day. I have chest pains and am very tired and become sullen and I am moody. Simple solution takes less insulin or a cracker before bed. It doesn't work for me. In fact I go to bed at 11pm awake at 4am my BS reading is 138 great! That same morning at 7 am I am 80.

Comment from: BertTheRat, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

Before i was diagnosed with type 2 hyperglycemia I went days without hardly eating or sleeping. I had an incredible amount of energy, but I was constantly thirsty and way too hyper for everyone. I was also and still am extremely happy which I haven't seen anywhere to be one of the symptoms. For me it is has been a life changing experience for the better even though there are some bad effects and risks to other long term health problems. I am not scared of anything, my brain works better and faster than ever. I went from being kind of shy and depressed to the most talkative person I know. Even when I got my sugars down to a less scary level I am still happy and full of energy. Maybe I have something else but the doctors see the sugar level and a couple of common side effects and they say diabetes.

Comment from: stevoo1989, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 17

I am nineteen and I was recently diagnosed with type 1 hyperglycemia diabetes. I have tendencies to black out and my friends are around and tell me that I get very belligerent and irate and violent what could be the causes of it and I have no recollection of the day of the black out.

Comment from: Worried man., 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

Just wondering what is fasting hyperglycemia. In my case and after measure five day in row, the level goes up to 144 after waking up in the morning and drops to 100 rang in the afternoon. This may be the case for the past four years ago and had offered no medication and my HAC1 is normal at 5 max, but the latest urine test reveals +3 for the first time and my Doctor recommended for me to take low dosage of Glucophage. Can someone enlighten me on this.

Comment from: kfnjwh, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I am a post gastric bypass patient of 10 years. I was not diabetic before gastric bypass surgery. I had an episode where both my legs lost muscle control and I fell, never losing consciousness. For two months now we are trying to find out why? I had episodes of hypoglycemia in the past, but this is a switch. At the beginning of year I was changing eating habits to a vegetarian and sometimes total vegan. I have been told that my new eating plan would not cause this reaction.

Diabetes and Hyperglycemia - Treatment Question: How was your hyperglycemia treated?
Hyperglycemia and Diabetes - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your hyperglycemia?
Hyperglycemia - Prevention Question: In what ways do you try to prevent hyperglycemia?