Patient Comments: Hyperglycemia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hyperglycemia.

Comment from: Nana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

Here a few years ago I noticed anytime I had sugar or had something sugary the first thing I would start off with is a headache, shaky, and then have to lay down (would go to sleep). Now here lately I noticed if I had not ate for a while and then ate a little bit after I get a headache and not feel good. What can I do?

Published: November 26

My experience with hyperglycemia is that I'm always tired my head hurts and when the light is on in my room I squint. I am tired most of the time unless I get some coffee or soda pop like a Coke or Pepsi and I have insomnia.

Comment from: Toomuchsugar, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

I have Type 2 and my sugar always runs above 250. Everytime I go to the doctor they always look so disappointed in me. I know I could exercise more but muy motivation is nowhere to be found. I tried cutting out breads, sweets and sodas, with no luck to bring down my FSBS. I don't know what else to do, I take Metformin and 108 units of Levamir and nothing seems to help.

Comment from: bela, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 14

My son has only just been diagnosed with it, but I would really like to ask how to prevent it and how to get rid of it. His last bad one was on Mothers Day this year and he throws up first and then slowly goes jelly like and doesn't know what is going on and he looks right through you when he is like that. His BSL dropped to 0.9 and nearly ended up in a coma. The doctors have no idea what it is or what to do about it. They are just putting needles in after needles. I can't stand it anymore I just want my son better. They have given me a GlucaGen shot to give him just in case, but have not even showed me how to use it. I've never used a needle ever. I wouldn't know how far to put it through is leg. Then they tell me I have to get it through the muscle or it won't work. (Ambulance man tried to go through it with me) when my son had another one on the school holidays this year.

Comment from: Jenny Johnson, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

Sometimes to most of the time I get extremely thirsty after a meal and even when I drink water it takes awhile for the extreme thirst to go away. I tend to skip meals a lot during the day. I get busy. Then other times I'm consistent. I believe I am too inconsistent with my eating habits. On two separate occasions I have blacked out and/or passed out due to lack of eating and dehydration though I drank Gatorade when the incident happened. This usually happens when I am really stressed, exhausted, and haven't had enough to eat. Is it really hyperglycemia or am I becoming diabetic? I don't exercise either. When I test my blood it is always either 70, 80, 95, but just today all the sudden I got extremely thirsty so I decided to test my blood on my meter and it said "140." So I tested it again a minute later to get a more accurate reading and it said "120". I'm so confused by this. I ate 3-4 hours earlier but I didn't eat breakfast, or lunch.

Comment from: bev, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I have looked after my mom's type II diabetes for many years. About 8 years ago I developed the same thing. I found that using my Mom's diet did not help me at all. I should state that my overall diet is terrible. About the same time I developed diabetes I also developed ulcerative colitis, acid reflux, high cholesterol, and liver pathology. I found the few veggies and fruit I like irritated other medical problems. I don't overeat, but I do eat a lot of milk products as I have less acid and stomach upsets. This in turn aggravates my liver with increased pain and bloating. The medications I take for pain upsets my stomach and I frequently vomit or suffer severe nausea which in turn means I can't keep my diabetic medications down or control my diet. I can't be the only one with these types of problems. I should state that my other medical problems are chronic rather than at an advanced stage of the disease.

Comment from: dee11, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

A cortisone shot made my reading go over 400. I did not know that cortisone would affect blood sugar...

Diabetes and Hyperglycemia - Treatment Question: How was your hyperglycemia treated?
Hyperglycemia and Diabetes - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your hyperglycemia?
Hyperglycemia - Prevention Question: In what ways do you try to prevent hyperglycemia?