Patient Comments: Hypercalcemia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hypercalcemia.

Comment from: Sylvia R, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

Serum calcium is 10.0 and Vitamin D is 127. Currently taking Vitamin D 50000 unit oral capsule due to a deficiency. Have a family history of kidney stones, nephrosis, and heart disease. I also have hypothyroidism that is being treated but continues to be an issue (tests still indicating values are not normal). I also have numerous calcifications in breasts which are being monitored. Stopping Vitamin D.

Comment from: MJ in St Pete, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I was diagnosed with hypercalcemia several years ago. Turns out it was the result of a parathyroid adenoma, or parathyroid tumor. I had the tumor removed, and it took awhile for the calcium level to regulate. After the removal of the bad parathyroid, I had to take calcium supplements by the clock until the remaining parathyroids started working. Was very touch and go, I felt so sick, but now I'm fine.

Comment from: calgal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

My internal medicine doctor diagnosed me with hypercalcemia this past week. I can't believe there's anything wrong because I feel as good as ever! My doctor kept asking if I had pain anywhere and did a bone scan, which showed nothing. Now my doctor's ordered a bone density test. I've been on lithium for 14 years or more and am wondering if that has anything to do with it. My doctor has mentioned surgery, but I'd like to know if there's cancer anywhere in my body that may be causing the high level. So, for now I feel fine with no symptoms, just a high calcium level, which I thought was to be desired. I hope everything will be ruled out before surgery for this.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I had a calcium level show up on lab tests three times in the high error range. Which isn't very high at all. I didn't think I had any symptoms, except that I remember my mother was always telling me to stop rubbing my legs. My legs felt the same way as when I was young and had played too hard. My parents would have called it growing pains. It made my legs feel better to rub them. I also noticed my chest was very sensitive when I did monthly breast exams for cancer. It turns out that I had an adenoma of one of my parathyroid glands. Later, I discovered a male cousin had adenomas on each one of his four parathyroid glands. I had surgery to remove the adenoma and had immediate relief following that surgery for the constant leg aching I had been experiencing for two years.

Comment from: mamaof2, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 26

My daughter is 3 yrs old and has hypocalcaemia, nephrocalcinosis, and hyperoxaluria. The nephrocalcinosis was discovered by ultrasound that was performed for a different reason, it was an incidental finding. We were referred to a kidney specialist. Testing showed high calcium in both blood and urine and oxalate in the urine. RTA, MSK and Hyperparathyroid were all ruled out. All endocrine disorders were ruled out. She also has the tremors some have previously mentioned here, with no apparent reason. We have seen a neuro and had an EEG done. Interesting to hear others have experienced this too. She has very little appetite, no weight gain, large abdomen, enlarged lymph nodes in her abdomen, low muscle tone, and low bone density.

Hypercalcemia - Symptoms Question: What were the signs and symptoms associated with your hypercalcemia?
Hypercalcemia - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your hypercalcemia?