Patient Comments: Hypercalcemia - Symptoms

What were the signs and symptoms associated with your hypercalcemia?

Comment from: LoisElaine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

An MRI showed a thyroid tumor. As I went under for surgery, my calcium levels were checked and were 15. I had 1 parathyroid removed, 1 biopsy, looked at and tumor not found. Also thyroid was removed. After surgery my levels dropped to the normal range, but I experienced tetany and spent 2 weeks in the hospital until stable. I left the hospital taking Citracal and Rocaltrol (D) in large amounts daily. My blood was tested daily, and as my levels climbed we would drop back on dosage. This went on for a month. Then levels were tested weekly for a couple months, until finally a small dose of calcium and D kept the levels correct. I also took Synthroid. I was about 23 years old. Four years later when I was pregnant the doctor wanted me off all medications. I was scared to death but my levels have been stable since. I'm now 47. I only take Synthroid daily and have had no other issues. Looking back, migraine headaches stopped as soon as the parathyroid adenoma was removed. Also, I was always thirsty. And would get strange blisters under my tongue, like bubbles. I didn't think I felt bad until I felt better.

Comment from: CindyEB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

After 5 days in the hospital due to increased levels of calcium, I was diagnosed with sarcoidosis. It"s located around my lungs. I was back in the hospital 3 weeks later with hypercalcemia again. I am trying to keep myself hydrated and listening to my body for warning signs. The first time before being admitted, I was fatigued, my heart raced all the time. This went on for a few days before I went to the doctor, who did blood work and made me go to the hospital as it was at a critical level. The second time it came on all of a sudden. I was at work and then "boom"... my heart was racing, I had shortness of breath. I had to be taken immediately to the hospital.

Comment from: sanjay pawar, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 26

My 5 months old son is now hospitalized due to his suffering from high calcium and PTH (parathyroid hormone). He had thyroid surgery when he was 2 months old then also his calcium level is not in control and it is always high. He has had no weight gain from his birth.

Comment from: DEANNCARR, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I have high blood calcium and low vitamin d. I do not take calcium or vitamin d, or have a diet high in dairy i get very tired, i am thirsty a lot and have frequent urination. I have always had episodes of joint and bone pain, and stomach pain. No family history of breast cancer and no evident signs if breast cancer. I do have an irregular heart beat. This is the second high blood calcium test result that i have had. It was 10.2 last year this year it is 10.6. My vitamin d level is 26. I have high cholesterol. I do have spells of fogginess and vertigo and nausea. I have no cancer diagnosis at this time and have never been diagnoses with cancer. I have a hyeatal hernia and gerd. I have recently lost weight, but i have increased my exercise and improved my diet.

Hypercalcemia - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hypercalcemia.
Hypercalcemia - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your hypercalcemia?