- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Slideshow Pictures
- Digestive Disease Myths
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Quiz
- What is hyoscyamine-sublingual, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
- What brand names are available for hyoscyamine-sublingual?
- Is hyoscyamine-sublingual available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for hyoscyamine-sublingual?
- What are the uses for hyoscyamine-sublingual?
- What are the side effects of hyoscyamine-sublingual?
- What is the dosage for hyoscyamine-sublingual?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with hyoscyamine-sublingual?
- Is hyoscyamine-sublingual safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about hyoscyamine-sublingual?
What is hyoscyamine-sublingual, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
- Hyoscyamine is an anticholinergic drug used for treating irritable bowel syndrome, peptic ulcer disease, hypermotility of the lower urinary tract, and gastrointestinal disorders. Anticholinergics work by blocking the action of acetylcholine in the brain and at nerves throughout the body. Acetylcholine is a neurotransmitter. Neurotransmitters are chemicals made and released by nerves that travel to nearby nerves or, in the case of acetylcholine, nearby muscles and glands where they attach to receptors on the surface of the nerve, muscle or glandular cells. The attachment of the neurotransmitter can stimulate or inhibit the activity of the receptor-containing cells. Anticholinergic drugs like hyoscyamine affect the function of many organs by preventing acetylcholine from binding to its receptors. Hyoscyamine decreases the activity of muscles in the intestine and lower urinary tract. It reduces the production of sweat, saliva, digestive juices, urine, and tears. It also reduces the production of bronchial secretions.
What brand names are available for hyoscyamine-sublingual?
Levbid, Levsin, Nulev, Anaspaz
Is hyoscyamine-sublingual available as a generic drug?
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
Do I need a prescription for hyoscyamine-sublingual?
What are the uses for hyoscyamine-sublingual?
Hyoscyamine is used for treating
- irritable bowel syndrome (IBS),
- peptic ulcer disease (stomach ulcers),
- hypermotility of the lower urinary tract, and
- gastrointestinal disorders.
What are the side effects of hyoscyamine-sublingual?
Side effects include:
Other side effects include:
- Decreased sweating (anhidrosis)
- Blurred vision
- Dilation of the pupil of the eye (mydriasis)
- Loss of taste
- Stomach pain
- Allergic reactions
Possible serious side effects include:
Quick GuideIBS - Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Symptoms, Diet, Treatment
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.