GENERIC NAME: hylan G-F 20
BRAND NAME: Synvisc, Synvisc-One
USES: Hylan G-F 20 is used for treating pain caused by osteoarthritis of the knee.
SIDE EFFECTS: About 1 in 14 persons experience pain or swelling in the injected knee, and one third of those who do, need to have fluid removed from the knee. Side effects include:
- injection site pain,
- injection site stiffness,
- injection site redness,
- skin rash,
- facial flushing and
- facial swelling.
PREPARATIONS: Injection: 16 mg/2 ml, 48 mg/6 ml
DRUG INTERACTIONS: There are no known drug interactions with hylan G-F 20.
PREGNANCY AND BREASTFEEDING SAFETY: No adequate studies have been done in pregnant women. The risks of hylan G-F 20 during breastfeeding are not known. It is not known if hylan G-F 20 is excreted into breast milk.
STORAGE: hyland G-F 20 should be stored at room temperature, below 86 F (30 C). Any unused solution should be thrown out. It should not be frozen.
DOSING: Hylan G-F 20 is injected into the knee by a health professional. A course of treatment consists of three injections with each injection seven days apart when using Synvisc. Alternatively Synvisc-One, which contains all 3 doses (48 mg/ 6 ml) can be injected once as a single injection. Most people experience the greatest amount of relief from pain 8 to 12 weeks after beginning treatment. Some patients will require more than one course of treatment.
DRUG CLASS AND MECHANISM:
- Hylan G-F 20 is an injectable fluid that is used to treat osteoarthritis of the knee. Osteoarthritis is a type of arthritis in which the joints of the body degenerate and become painful and stiff.
- Osteoarthritis is the most common form of arthritis; almost 10 million Americans suffer from osteoarthritis. Most affected persons are over 45 years of age, and women are more often affected than men.
- Joints contain a fluid, called synovial fluid, which acts as a lubricant and shock absorber. Patients with osteoarthritis have synovial fluid that is thinner than normal, and, therefore, it is less effective as a lubricant and shock-absorber.
- Hylan G-F 20 is an elastic fluid that is made from a substance called hyaluronan, that is found in normal joint fluid.
- Hyaluronan is the key substance in joint fluid that provides the shock-absorbing quality to the fluid, and it is essential for the proper functioning of joints.
- When injected into the knee of a patient with osteoarthritis, hylan G-F 20 helps to restore the shock-absorbing effect of the fluid within the knee. This can reduce pain, resulting in a more active lifestyle.
Medically reviewed by Eni Williams, PharmD
Reference: FDA Prescribing Information
Quick GuideOsteoarthritis (OA): Treatment, Symptoms, Diagnosis
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.