Additionally, Droxia (hydroxyurea 200 mg, 300 mg, and 400 mg capsules) is used to reduce the reoccurrence of painful crises and the need for blood transfusions in certain adult patients with sickle cell anemia.
In some cases, hydroxyurea may also be used to treat psoriasis.
SIDE EFFECTS: Known side effects include:
- bone marrow suppression (drop in white blood cell, red blood cell and platelet counts),
- sores in the mouth,
- skin rash,
- swelling in the hands, feet, legs and face,
- changes in skin pigmentation,
- hair loss,
- painful urination,
- liver problems,
- shortness of breath,
- metabolic disturbances, and
- kidney problems.
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
- Hydrea: 500 mg capsules. Hydrea is used an antineoplastic agent.
- Droxia: 200 mg, 300 mg, 400 mg capsules. Droxia is used to treat sickle cell disease.
Quick GuidePancreatic Cancer Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.