Patient Comments: Hydroxyapatite Crystal Disease - Personal Experience

Please describe your experience with hydroxyapatite crystal disease.

Comment from: mealone, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

In 2004, I started with pins and needles in both hands. I eventually had carpal tunnel operation on both hands. However the shooting pains got worse. So 2 years, 3 specialists and dozens of tests later hydroxyapatite crystal disease was diagnosed. It is now in most fingers, both hands and wrists, most toes, both feet and ankles. Now my left shoulder has started with same symptoms. The hospital signed me off in 2008 as there was nothing more they could do. Rest is the best thing, and I use wine bottle ice sleeves with a cotton sock under to stop ice burns. The next range of tablets are going to be morphine based ones. I can only walk 20 feet before I have to sit, so a mobility scooter gets me around. I don't know of anyone else with this disease, so I hope this might help others.

Comment from: Wood, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I have crystal substance in bones/joints throughout whole body including from head to toes. I have chronic pain.

Hydroxyapatite Crystal Disease - Treatment Question: What forms of treatment, including therapy, did you receive for your hydroxyapatite crystal disease?