What is the dosage for Cyanokit (hydroxocobalamin injection)?
- The recommended initial dose is 5 g (one vial) administered by intravenous infusion over 15 minutes.
- A second 5 g dose may be administered if the response is not adequate.
- The maximum total dose is 10 g.
Which drugs or supplements interact with Cyanokit (hydroxocobalamin injection)?
- Cyanokit drug interaction studies have not been conducted.
Is Cyanokit (hydroxocobalamin injection) safe to use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
- Cyanokit has not been adequately studied in pregnant women.
- It is not known whether Cyanokit is secreted in breast milk. Cyanokit may be given to nursing mothers in life-threatening situations. Breastfeeding should be stopped after receiving Cyanokit.
What else should I know about Cyanokit (hydroxocobalamin injection)?
What preparations of Cyanokit (hydroxocobalamin injection) are available?
- Powder for Injection: 5 g/vial
How should I keep Cyanokit (hydroxocobalamin injection) stored?
- Powder should be stored at room temperature, 15 C to 30 C (59 F to 86 F).
- After mixing with liquid it may be stored for up to 6 hours at a temperature not exceeding 40 C (104 F).
- It should not be frozen, and any unused portion should be discarded after 6 hours.
How does Cyanokit (hydroxocobalamin injection) work?
- Hydroxocobalamin is made up off cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12) attached to cobalt. Hydroxocobalamin reverses the action of cyanide by binding to cyanide molecules. Each hydroxocobalamin molecule binds to one cyanide ion. The result of the chemical reaction is inactivation of cyanide and release of cyanocobalamin which is then excreted in the urine.
REFERENCE: FDA Prescribing Information.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.