Patient Comments: Hydronephrosis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your hydronephrosis?

Comment from: aneczkabeczka, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I had all symptoms of hydronephrosis and kidney stones. My previous doctor treated me for arthritis, never bothering to treat the blood, protein and ketones in my urine. I went to see a urologist, he performed lithotripsy with stent placement. My kidney function has been preserved.

Comment from: Molly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

In 1996 I had uroplasty surgery that restructured the kidney. I was off work for 2months but recovered nicely. No need for antibiotics and life returned to normal. In April 2012 the same kidney swelled and the pain was back. I am thankful for 16 good years! I am hopeful that the treatment methods have advanced and I would not have to go through that painful surgery again.

Comment from: mommanarciso, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

Stint placement under general anesthesia at 30 weeks of pregnancy. It was horrible!!! It saved my kidney, but I was in so much pain that they gave me opium and belladonna suppositories to deal with the pain. Look over your options carefully before making your decision.

Comment from: confused, 45-54 Female Published: July 15

I have hydronephrosis of the upper right kidney. The doctor treated my hydronephrosis by inserting a needle into the kidney and drained it. They said this was not a cure but better than surgery. They also said that my kidney would eventually fill back up with urine over time.

Comment from: Marg, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I had hydronephrosis in May. It was from a kidney stone lodged in the ureter. They tried stints and nephrostomy tube, but my kidney had failed and was not repairable. Just had left kidney removed in July. Doing well.

Comment from: vishnuvardhan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

For the past six months, I've been struggling with mild to moderate hydronephrosis in my right kidney. There was no mass storage evidence and my pelvic system is normal. Moderate means any severe condition? I'm not sure about these terms.

Comment from: alida, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I had developed it at five months pregnant took them two days of extreme pain to diagnosis and they put a stent in me, which supposed to be for most part painless, but for some reason I felt a ton and was in wheelchair for the rest of my pregnancy and in pain. Removal was horrifying due to the fact that they don't put you to sleep during the removal they use a little grabber with three prongs and go in and pull it out. The lady I had was extremely rude and kept dropping and reinserting it and pulling and dropping again, as well as passing stones and peeing blood, not fun.

Comment from: AzSummer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

Robotic laproscopic surgery to remove a congenital obstruction at the uteropelvic junction. Less than a year later I have hydronephrosis again in the same kidney (right) and new symptoms in the left. I don't know yet what they'll do as my surgeon is booked up for another month.

Comment from: Dtopoulos, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

The treatment for my unilateral hydronephrosis was a cystoscopy with ureteral stent placement.

Hydronephrosis - Cause Question: What was the cause of your hydronephrosis?
Hydronephrosis - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with hydronephrosis?
Hydronephrosis - Complications Question: What complications did you experience with hydronephrosis?