Patient Comments: Hydronephrosis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your hydronephrosis?

Comment from: squid91, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I am a 24 year old girl and have been suffering from kidney problems since birth. I was diagnosed with hyrdronephrosis at age 17 (after years of constant pain and investigations) and had a pyeloplasty procedure performed. It worked and I was well for a few months until I started getting urinary tract infections (UTIs) and experiencing extreme pain again. I had another of these operations done at the age of 21. All was well again until I developed kidney stones the year after and had to have lithotripsy to remove them. Since then I have had about a year's worth of being well (best year of my life) but have had intermittent UTIs ever since, I would say I have had around 20 to 25 all in all (maybe more). Most recently I was admitted to hospital with dehydration and diagnosed with a kidney infection and was hospitalized for three days. I had an ultra sound MAG 3 and a CT scan and am waiting for my results (September 2016). I am wondering if anybody had been through anything similar and had a success story to share. I am at the end of my tether with this illness.

Comment from: Sharon B, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I have severe hydroureteronephrosis with parenchymal atrophy. I had a very large left side ovarian cyst removed about 5 years ago. Within weeks I started to have pain and went to the emergency room thinking I might have kidney stones. They took an x-ray and told me I had constipation! They told me to drink a bottle of magnesium citrate and I would feel better, and sent me home. I had the pain off and on for several weeks, but thought it was constipation. Otherwise I was symptom free. About a year later I had an MRI for low back pain and that is when the kidney problem was discovered. The block starts where the bladder and ureter connect. By that time I only had 9 percent function in my left kidney. Too late to fix it. Also since the very first week I have suffered from chronic constipation. I am sure it is all connected somehow.

Comment from: RedPoppet, 45-54 Female Published: April 01

I have just been diagnosed with my third deep vein thrombosis (DVT). The first, in 2001, was as a result of surgery. The 2nd, in 2014, was after a long-haul flight from US to Australia. The reason for the 3rd, current [April 2016] DVT is still to be determined. No surgeries, flights or other obvious triggers and past blood screen has indicated that I do not have a clotting disorder.

Comment from: Novella, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I have been dealing with hydronephrosis of my left kidney for about 20 years. With this last attempt to get my kidney to drain properly, my urologist used the da Vinci method (a robot) to repair the damaged part of my ureter that was causing an obstruction (ureteropelvic junction pyeloplasty). He inserted a stent and then removed it weeks later. For months, tests revealed the kidney was draining ok. Then it wasn't draining ok. The doctor said that though the repair was successful and my kidney had 29 percent function before the operation, (enough to save the kidney) the ureter may not be working right. I go in a week for a MAG6 renal scan with Lasix to determine what is going on. I've already been through all this. It's a vicious cycle. I may be better off just asking the doctor to take the kidney out.

Comment from: Vscrap, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 28

I am 27 year old male and have congenital hydronephrosis (grade 4 severe pelvi-ureteric junction obstruction in the left kidney). Fortunately, I never experienced any pain, just some uneasiness in the left side of my belly. I started observing this from childhood but attributed to some indigestion. In 2009, while taking USG test, I accidentally found that I have this problem. After many tests, I found that the split function is 35 percent. I consulted many urologists and nephrologists. Urologists suggested that I go for pyeloplasty whereas one nephrologist told me that if I go for pyeloplasty, there is a chance of secondary hydronephrosis post pyeloplasty. Moreover I am not interested in pyeloplasty. I go for blood/urine test once in 6 months to check creatinine and pus cells count and make sure that I don't involve in any sport/activity which might rupture my left kidney. I never took any medicine also. In 2014, I did a split function test and saw that it got reduced to 12 percent. Only thing I can do now is ignore this with the above mentioned risk factors or remove my kidney as it is not a good option to go for pyeloplasty if the split function is 15 percent. My kidney size is around 25 cm x 18 cm.

Hydronephrosis - Cause Question: What was the cause of your hydronephrosis?
Hydronephrosis - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with hydronephrosis?
Hydronephrosis - Complications Question: What complications did you experience with hydronephrosis?