Patient Comments: Hydronephrosis - Cause

What was the cause of your hydronephrosis?

Comment from: Denise, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: October 06

I had an incisional hernia and small umbilical hernia that was connected and mesh put over both, 15x20 oval piece of Physiomesh. This was from an old surgery of a bifemoral bypass in 2002, and this surgery was in 2010. The mesh hurt as soon as it went in, but I was sent home and had fever for 4 days. In less than 2 weeks the mesh and everything that touched it had to be removed, my abdominal muscles, bellybutton, skin. I had a football sized hole that took 7 months with VAC unit to heal. My adhesions have gotten so bad that in 2015 I ended up in the hospital with an NG (nasogastric) tube in my nose going to my intestines, and had major bowel obstruction. I was never told that I could have died but it took 7 days of not eating and being on that VAC unit with x-rays every day. No surgeon wanted to get in there because of what the mesh did, I was claimed by doctors of 'being to blame for getting the mesh out.'

Comment from: Shah, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I was diagnosed with ureteropelvic junction (UPJ) obstruction 2 days after having a severe flank pain. I went under robotic pyeloplasty surgery where they remove the scarring tissues and repair the area. I had severe stent pain because my physician did not use the soft silicone based stent for me. I suffered with hydronephrosis 1.5 year because of my surgeon. He removed my stent 7th day after my surgery without replacing it with another. I had recurrent obstruction and my kidney burst and I had bad urine retention all over my back.

Comment from: Sharon B, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

My hydroureteronephrosis was caused when I had a large ovarian cyst removed. Unfortunately the blockage was at the site where the ureter connects to the bladder and not caught in time and I lost function of my left kidney.

Comment from: saltydog69, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I have a single kidney and I have severe hydronephrosis. I have had a stent put in in the past but now the fluid is more severe than it was before. My doctor says I either have a kink or scar tissue that causes the hydronephrosis and the only way to fix it is cutting out part of the tube and placing it back together but says I am a high risk for the surgery since it is my only kidney and will not do the surgery.

Comment from: Lynne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

I fell on black ice on Wednesday and injured my wrist. This is the following Tuesday. I wanted to see what I should be expecting at present and if I am on schedule on healing or not. Guess it's time to see the doctor again.

Comment from: moninja, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I was just diagnosed with hydronephrosis but I haven't seen my doctor for it yet. My appointment is in 2.5 weeks. I don't know when the onset was, don't know the level of the swelling of my right kidney. All I know is what I was told by the nurse who called me, which was that I have an obstruction which is not allowing urine to pass freely to my bladder. I don't know what to make of this since I have not spoken to the doctor as of yet. Maybe it's best I see my primary care physician first since I believe that's where they got the latest CT scan from, due to small ovarian cysts and fibroid.

Comment from: ANNMARIE, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had partial kidney removed on January 4, 2016 due to renal cancer. Last week I started feeling a lot of pressure on my bladder and frequent urination and some pain in back and side. I wonder if this could be due to hydronephrosis.

Hydronephrosis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your hydronephrosis?
Hydronephrosis - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with hydronephrosis?
Hydronephrosis - Complications Question: What complications did you experience with hydronephrosis?