Patient Comments: Hydronephrosis - Cause

What was the cause of your hydronephrosis?

Comment from: Shah, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I was diagnosed with ureteropelvic junction (UPJ) obstruction 2 days after having a severe flank pain. I went under robotic pyeloplasty surgery where they remove the scarring tissues and repair the area. I had severe stent pain because my physician did not use the soft silicone based stent for me. I suffered with hydronephrosis 1.5 year because of my surgeon. He removed my stent 7th day after my surgery without replacing it with another. I had recurrent obstruction and my kidney burst and I had bad urine retention all over my back.

Comment from: Sharon B, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

My hydroureteronephrosis was caused when I had a large ovarian cyst removed. Unfortunately the blockage was at the site where the ureter connects to the bladder and not caught in time and I lost function of my left kidney.

Comment from: saltydog69, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I have a single kidney and I have severe hydronephrosis. I have had a stent put in in the past but now the fluid is more severe than it was before. My doctor says I either have a kink or scar tissue that causes the hydronephrosis and the only way to fix it is cutting out part of the tube and placing it back together but says I am a high risk for the surgery since it is my only kidney and will not do the surgery.

Comment from: Lynne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

I fell on black ice on Wednesday and injured my wrist. This is the following Tuesday. I wanted to see what I should be expecting at present and if I am on schedule on healing or not. Guess it's time to see the doctor again.

Comment from: ANNMARIE, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had partial kidney removed on January 4, 2016 due to renal cancer. Last week I started feeling a lot of pressure on my bladder and frequent urination and some pain in back and side. I wonder if this could be due to hydronephrosis.

Comment from: Anna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I had a cystoscopy done and the doctor caused a lesion of the ureter and calyx rupture. Another doctor was called and he put a stent from my kidney to my bladder. After the removal of the stent I was okay. But the CT shows hydronephrosis. After 7 weeks I still have pain in my flank. I'm now wondering if the hydronephrosis could have been caused by the rupture and the damage they did during the cystoscopy.

Published: December 11

For my mom it was scar tissue blocking the tube.

Comment from: mommanarciso, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

Pregnancy was the cause of my hydronephrosis. I was 20 weeks pregnant & went into premature labor. It was later discovered that I had severe hydronephrosis of the right kidney. I had surgery for stint placement, but my daughter was born 8 weeks early.

Hydronephrosis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your hydronephrosis?
Hydronephrosis - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with hydronephrosis?
Hydronephrosis - Complications Question: What complications did you experience with hydronephrosis?