GENERIC NAME: hydromorphone hydrochloride
BRAND NAME: Dilaudid, Dilaudid-5, Dilaudid-HP, Exalgo
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
USES Hydromorphone is used for management of acute and moderate-to-severe chronic pain in patients when use of an opioid is appropriate.
SIDE EFFECTS: Side effects of hydromorphone are:
- itching, and
- dry mouth.
Since hydromorphone is a controlled narcotic, it carries a box warning of respiratory depression and abuse potential. Use with alcohol or other medications affecting central nervous system can worsen respiratory depression and may lead to death.
PREPARATIONS: Hydromorphone is available as immediate-release and extended-release tablets, injection, rectal suppository, and oral liquid forms.
- Dilaudid (immediate release tablets): Available in 2 mg, 4 mg, and 8 mg strengths.
- Exalgo (extended-release tablets): Available in 8 mg, 12 mg, 16 mg
- Dilaudid (injection solutions): Available in 1mg/ml, 2 mg/ml, and 4 mg/ml strengths.
- Dilaudid-HP (high potency injections): Available in two strengths: 250 mg powder for solution and 10 mg/ml injection solution.
- Dilaudid-5 (oral solution): Available in 1 mg/ml strength in 473 ml bottle.
- Dilaudid (rectal suppository): Available in 3 mg strength.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.