Patient Comments: Hydrocephalus - Causes

What was the cause of your hydrocephalus?

Comment from: Dr. D, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I had colloid cyst of the 3rd ventricle and VP (ventriculoperitoneal) shunt was placed. I had onset of symptoms of confusion, excessive somnolence and gait problem. One month later a large 3 + cm colloid cyst was excised successfully and there has been good improvement and full recovery is anticipated.

Comment from: cintrone, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

My name is Vangie. I'm in my twenties and I was born with hydrocephalus. I wasn't shunted until I was two months old. I have had over 12 surgeries throughout my entire life. My last two surgeries were in 2001. The first one in 2001 I almost died but God is great. I haven't has any surgeries ever since. Now, God has given me the chance to be a mother to a son. He is one years old. My son wasn't born with hydrocephalus. So have been very blessed. If I can do it so can you. Thanks for reading.

Comment from: maryslamb2011, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I have hydrocephalus and have had it for many years with a shunt to relieve it. Shortly before I was diagnosed, I had a fall from a 4-foot platform, which the doctor said may have caused it. I was also hit in the head as a child with a baseball bat, which may have also caused it and had it lying dormant for many years. They just do not know. I do know that with the surgery insertion of the shunt to drain the water I have been able to lead a normal life. My symptoms were headaches and being constantly off balance.

Comment from: DoubleDKY, 35-44 Female Published: January 28

I had sudden onset of severe headache. I never have headaches, but this was the worst you can imagine. This occurred suddenly after I finished a session of the new Zumba video exercises. I had the headache for 3 days and noticed that one of my pupils was dilated. This lasted for about 24 hours. I saw my local MD who ordered a CAT scan of the head that showed "fluid on my brain." I have had no symptoms for the past 3 days but have limited my physical activity to only work. I am a Speech/Language Pathologist with the local school system; I have an MRI scheduled next Tues.

Comment from: See Well, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 13

My son was diagnosed with hydrocephalus at the age of 3 months. I personally believe that it could have happened while I was giving birth to him. There was never any surgery performed on him, because the first time they checked him, they said they saw fluid and wanted to operate. But when he went back the second time, they said the fluid had miraculously disappeared on its own. My son will be 23 in July. He doesn't say anything and I was concerned about what I could do to remedy this. When he was younger he used to talk, but he won't say anything now. I would like to know more about the different surgeries or any shots that could possibly help him. He smiles all of the time and it makes me smile. Actually, he lights up the room with his smile. I just want what's best for him. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment from: Norms, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I have just been diagnosed with hydrocephalus. I am 51 years and in the last month or so have had major headaches. They've caused me to vomit and have affected my vision. These may last for days, and no matter what pain medicine I would take, it didn't seem to ease the pain – it just kept getting worse. Following a CT scan, they were able to identify the problem. That was two days ago. It's good to know what is causing the problem, but I am worried because one of my brothers died of this in the 1950s. I have an appointment with a surgeon next week. I'm a little nervous about what can be done and if it will work.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I have had hydrocephalus since birth. I was shunted at 23 months old. At that time, the surgery had only been around for about two years. I was one of a handful of children to have the surgery in 1976. I have had only two surgeries. My first surgery was when I was 23 months, and my last was when I was 10 years old. I've been fine since then.

Hydrocephalus - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hydrocephalus.
Hydrocephalus - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were the signs and symptoms associated with hydrocephalus in someone you know?