Patient Comments: Hydrocephalus - Causes

What was the cause of your hydrocephalus?

Comment from: Saba, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 04

I inherited this eczema from my mom. It gets worse if I eat black pepper seafood, chicken, beef, eggplant, coffee jaggery, etc. I used different ointments but no use. I am currently using urine, it is better than costly ointments.

Comment from: Lynn Marie, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 09

Hydrocephalus is caused by dehydration. The cure is not shunting, the cure is water. My teenager has a shunt and now I am educated. She was a typical teen with no health concerns. She never drank water, drinking fountains at school did not work, no water bottles were allowed in class and at lunch she was offered the same size carton of milk that a kindergartner gets. We didn't know any better either and we trusted doctors who just repeat the shunting process because that's what's always been done. Bottom line is, hydrocephalus is the result of prolonged dehydration. The cure is water. When your body is dehydrated it sends any water it can to the brain, heart and lungs that's why you get tremendous headaches, that's why you get coughing or sniffly nose, you are off balance and can't open your eyes.

Comment from: Dr. D, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I had colloid cyst of the 3rd ventricle and VP (ventriculoperitoneal) shunt was placed. I had onset of symptoms of confusion, excessive somnolence and gait problem. One month later a large 3 + cm colloid cyst was excised successfully and there has been good improvement and full recovery is anticipated.

Comment from: cintrone, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

My name is Vangie. I'm in my twenties and I was born with hydrocephalus. I wasn't shunted until I was two months old. I have had over 12 surgeries throughout my entire life. My last two surgeries were in 2001. The first one in 2001 I almost died but God is great. I haven't has any surgeries ever since. Now, God has given me the chance to be a mother to a son. He is one years old. My son wasn't born with hydrocephalus. So have been very blessed. If I can do it so can you. Thanks for reading.

Comment from: maryslamb2011, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I have hydrocephalus and have had it for many years with a shunt to relieve it. Shortly before I was diagnosed, I had a fall from a 4-foot platform, which the doctor said may have caused it. I was also hit in the head as a child with a baseball bat, which may have also caused it and had it lying dormant for many years. They just do not know. I do know that with the surgery insertion of the shunt to drain the water I have been able to lead a normal life. My symptoms were headaches and being constantly off balance.

Comment from: HOPE, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I am 23 years old and I had hydrocephalus when I was born but I already underwent a surgery when I was 1 month old. Everything is fine now except for one thing, I have been experiencing incontinence since I was a child causing me to wear diaper and never been able to urinate on my own; It will just go out whenever my bladder is full and I have no control of it.

Comment from: amandalake26, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 20

My daughter has been having very severe headaches; she would wake up in the middle of the night and would be crying. She is 6 years old. I took her to her pediatrician who sent her to the children's hospital where they did 2 MRIs. One of the brain and one of the spine. She was diagnosed with Chiari malformation of the brain as well as having hydrocephalus. The doctor did brain surgery on her a week ago. She is doing so much better.

Comment from: DoubleDKY, 35-44 Female Published: January 28

I had sudden onset of severe headache. I never have headaches, but this was the worst you can imagine. This occurred suddenly after I finished a session of the new Zumba video exercises. I had the headache for 3 days and noticed that one of my pupils was dilated. This lasted for about 24 hours. I saw my local MD who ordered a CAT scan of the head that showed "fluid on my brain." I have had no symptoms for the past 3 days but have limited my physical activity to only work. I am a Speech/Language Pathologist with the local school system; I have an MRI scheduled next Tues.

Hydrocephalus - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hydrocephalus.
Hydrocephalus - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were the signs and symptoms associated with hydrocephalus in someone you know?