Patient Comments: Hydrocephalus - Causes

What was the cause of your hydrocephalus?

Comment from: Jamie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 20

I am 49 years old have hydrocephalus and was originally diagnosed before I was 1. They operated and put in a rubber tube between my third and fourth ventricle of my brain. The operations resolved most of the symptoms and I have not had to revisit the Issue. The only long term consequences have been I am quite physically uncoordinated and I have a particularly bad memory for names. On the plus side I am pretty good with numbers. I graduated from college and earned a Ph.D. in biochemistry and have spent 15 years doing Biological research.

Comment from: grandma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I am now 60, had my first shunt at 15, they thought was congenital at the time. At 45, the shunt had to be replaced, the symptoms, falling, headaches, etc. The real thing no doctor told me at 59, I started having seizures, the buildup of scar tissue caused it. I wish the doctor would have said something.

Comment from: tweetybirdnurse, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I have hydrocephalus and I was born with it. I am now 47 years old with no shunt. And I'm not mentally challenged. I also had two children who are doing fine.

Comment from: Chrissymarie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I am 37 years old and have had hydrocephalus since I was about 8 years old. That's when I had the shunt put in. I have had the same shunt since then. But I have been having very bad headaches. I go to my doctor on Wednesday, so I am hoping it isn't anything bad. I also have neurofibromatosis.

Comment from: Keith, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 07

I have all the symptoms of hydrocephalus. Doctors over the years have come up with bipolar, lupus, thyroid problems – all as a possible reason. They did find that I have a tumor of the choroid plexus. If it wasn't for my dogs, I would have given up. The mental torture and pain is incredible. Doctors that don't understand hydrocephalus kick you under the bus.

Hydrocephalus - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hydrocephalus.
Hydrocephalus - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were the signs and symptoms associated with hydrocephalus in someone you know?