Patient Comments: Hydrocephalus - Signs and Symptoms

What were the signs and symptoms associated with hydrocephalus in someone you know?

Comment from: bethd, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I first started with gait issues - short, choppy steps that got faster as I continued walking - almost to the point of running. I was also experiencing balance issues, including falling. I had a neurologist who sent me to a neurosurgeon who eventually diagnosed hydrocephalus and placed a shunt in my brain. Though I still have issues with my balance, I at least am no longer falling!

Comment from: worried daughter, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 05

My mom lost her baMy mom lost her balance quite often and sometimes fell; she would phone me six times a day and speak to me as if it were her first call, often repeating conversations. Her short-term memory became poor. Then she couldn't walk right. She would end up running until she could stop herself at a wall or a doorway or fall to her knees. A wonderful doctor diagnosed the trouble with a CT scan and inserted a shunt. The problem went away and I had my mother back instantly!

Hydrocephalus - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hydrocephalus.
Hydrocephalus - Causes Question: What was the cause of your hydrocephalus?