Patient Comments: Hydrocele - Treatment

What was the treatment for your child's hydrocele? Was surgery required?

Comment from: donastl, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 25

This is in regard to my son, born in 1974, with large hydrocele. We were subsequently advised that one testis had atrophied, and surgical intervention was advised at 7 years of age. This was done, and he subsequently had 3 children. However, I was given injections during this pregnancy, in 1974, and as a DES (diethylstilbestrol) exposed mother I am concerned that my son was exposed to DES, as different reports have DES pulled in 1971, some others say 1975. Unsure of what to advise my son.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: kunal, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 22

My 18 month son has a hydrocele from the birth, we consulted with a pediatric surgeon, and he advised us to wait till the baby's age is 2 years.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: 0-2 Male Published: August 28

This is my godson he is having laser surgery next week.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: HOPE, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 21

An ultrasound was performed and a small left hydrocele was found with no evidence of testicular torsion. No specific cause for this problem was found; however, an antibiotic was prescribed to treat a possible infection. Swelling and pain went away after treatment.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Hydrocele - Types and Features Question: Please describe your experience with a hydrocele, including its type and physical features.
Hydrocele - Other Swelling Conditions Question: Was your child diagnosed with another type of scrotal swelling? Please discuss your experience.

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors