Patient Comments: Hydrocele - Types and Features

Please describe your experience with a hydrocele, including its type and physical features.

Comment from: Dhavan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

I developed what I imagine was a hydrocele on my left testicle when I was 13 years old. It expanded quickly to the size of a baseball (3-4 inches in diameter) and was very sore. The skin surrounding the sac was red and tender, due to being stretched. I lived on a farm and it was a busy time of the year, so I didn't want to bother my parents by demanding a trip to the doctor. The swelling decreased on its own after a week, but the testicle was ruined. I have always regretted not saying something to my parents. Many years later, my doctor said, “Thank goodness you've got two testicles,” as the other one seems OK. Thankfully I've had a fulfilling sex life, but am plagued by guilt over this incident.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: John Doe, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

I have had this enlargement for approximately 40 years. I am not in pain at all, but my scrotum seems to be getting larger. I have not confronted a doctor yet because I believe that if it's not broke, then don't fix it.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Hydrocele - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your child's hydrocele? Was surgery required?
Hydrocele - Other Swelling Conditions Question: Was your child diagnosed with another type of scrotal swelling? Please discuss your experience.

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.