Patient Comments: Hot Flashes - Treatments

How do you manage your hot flashes?

Comment from: Patti M, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I had to work outside all summer, even before summer actually started, and it was extreme heat the entire time- 100 degrees and above, about every day. I was worried I would die of heat exhaustion, since I can't drink enough water to keep up with the heat- and that was before the constant hot flashing. I learned to wet my t-shirt (wear only dark colors) years before, under similar conditions of work. Somehow it seemed to fool my body into thinking I was already flashing I guess- as long as I stayed outside in the heat, I noticed very few hot flashes. Of course, inside under the A/C with the wet clothes- cold chills, and THEN some flashes. So I can also use the wet shirt trick inside, but not sopping wet- just barely damp does the trick then. It's better than infinite hot flashes, when you're already suffering. Works for me. I was so glad to discover this, hope it helps others.

Comment from: anywoman, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

Flaxseed, flaxseed, flaxseed for hot flashes! It must be ground, but you can usually find it at a store that sells bulk foods. I was having constant flashing, but after taking 1 tablespoon each morning and night, they almost disappeared altogether. I have my life back.

Comment from: Ann, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I just started experiencing hot flashes and it's driving me crazy. I have used several different HRT supplement but nothing helps. I have being exercising and hope for a relief from this agonizing feel. I have overactive thyroid and I think this has contributed to the heat intolerance.

Comment from: whyme48, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I have hot flashes at least 10-12 times a day. The sweat just runs and I feel like a wet dish rag. I have had breast cancer and can't take any kind of hormone. Can certain foods trigger a hot flash. Only thing that helps me a really cold drink.

Comment from: buop, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

I have hot flashes three times per hour, seven days a week. I was told it was from one Lupron injection and will cease one year after the injection. I wake up all the time every night.

Hot Flashes - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Hot Flashes.
Hot Flashes - Causes Question: What was the cause of your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Symptoms Question: What are the symptoms associated with your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Alternative Treatments Question: What types of complementary or alternative treatments have you tried to relieve hot flashes?