Patient Comments: Hot Flashes - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hot flashes.

Comment from: Cats, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I am 64, and had a hysterectomy at age 30 due to endometriosis. I had my first hot flash 2 days later. The doctor put me on Premarin. That stopped them cold. Then 2 years ago my doctor said they had to start weaning me off. I said I was planning on doing so when I retired at 65. He said no doctor will give hormone replacement therapy (HRT) once you hit 65 so I started weaning off. I was at 2 mg, then cut back to 1mg each day for 1 year. I started having mild flashes within a week. Then it was 1 mg evert other day for 6 months. The flashes got worse. Then in half again. It's been 2 weeks with nothing and I'm absolutely miserable. I have 20 or so flashes hot during the day and 6 in a night. They make me tingle, sweat, sick to my stomach, weak and that' s not including the night sweat, lack of sleep, etc. I'm still working and am about ready to go back on HRT. I can't see myself living with this for 5 or 10 years. No wonder some women are institutionalized at menopause, or became druggies or alcoholics!

Comment from: Trouble16, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I am 54, two years post-menopause and the hot flashes started almost immediately after my last period. They went away for a few months, but now they have returned worse than ever. One at least every two hours, 3 or 4 a night, I haven't had a decent night's sleep in so long. I keep the ice water next to my bed but I feel so dehydrated from the fan blowing in my face all night that I gulp it all down. I'm up all night either sweating or going to the bathroom. I am feeling very depressed, I'm more tired now than I was when the kids were babies, I exist in a state of chronic fatigue and racing thoughts from sleep deprivation. I work full time and don't know how much longer I can do this. I got my period at 10 years of age, had surgery for anemia from fibroid tumors in my 40s, and thought I'd finally get a break from the female troubles in my 50s, no such luck. I look at snow on the ground and all I think about is rolling around in it like my dog does. Hoping to stick it out au natural without hormone replacement therapy but it is hard.

Comment from: Michigan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

My hot flashes occur every hour. Daytime isn't great, but nights are terrible. It takes only the slightest movement, at night, for the heat to take over from my head to my toes. I end up throwing all the covers off to make it through and then am freezing following that. It makes for exhaustion all day. Exercise is part of my life and hasn't helped and I have even tried Swedish tree pollen which does nothing for me. I don't want hormone replacement.

Comment from: Mindyliz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I started getting hot flashes in my early 30s, approximately 5 years before I hit menopause. Unfortunately, 20 years later and I still have them multiple times a day and night. I am the youngest of 5 daughters and none of my siblings experienced this. I actually started my hot flashes before my 13 years older sister did. Theirs all came and went and I still endure them daily. My mother had them until she passed at 76 years old, and I have resigned myself to the probability of enduring the same.

Comment from: Annonymous, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I'm 52 and I have been determined to do everything possible to avoid having to take any hormones through menopause if possible. Which means I'm eating much better, exercising, getting enough sleep, taking vitamins, not drinking coffee, etc. I've only had what I would call 'warm' flashes so far. I probably wouldn't even think they were menopause related if it weren't for my age and the fact that I never had them before. I actually enjoy them. It's hard to describe, but I like being warm. There is also often a tiny bit of increased libido associated with them which is also no big deal. I'll be back to re-post if anything changes with my hot flashes. I really hope it doesn't!

Hot Flashes - Treatments Question: How do you manage your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Causes Question: What was the cause of your hot flashes, and how do/did you treat them?
Hot Flashes - Feel Like and Symptoms Question: What do/did your hot flashes feel like, and were any other associated symptoms?
Hot Flashes - Natural and Home Remedies Question: What types of natural or home remedies have you used to relieve hot flashes, and have they worked?