Patient Comments: Hot Flashes - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Hot Flashes.

Comment from: helpful advice, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I began getting hot flashes in the first trimester of my pregnancy. My child almost 4 and I"m in the middle of one that has lasted for about 6 hours now. So I believe I"m either pregnant or peri-menopausal, because even my longest ones while pregnant were only a couple of hours. (Only that"s a laugh right?) I thought I"d share a quick, cheap way to make them more bearable with you all. Wet a washcloth and sprinkle peppermint extract across. Thanks to this little trick I barely even sweated pushing my little munchkin into the world, and somehow survived my third trimester falling in the summer (June to August) in the south. Hope it helps!

Comment from: pmw148, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I am 51 and started with hot flashes only at night about four months ago. They gradually became more frequent and are now about every hour during the day. At night, I take one Benadryl and .5 mg klonopin and sleep until about 2-3 and then the flashes start. The burning starts in my face and spreads down to about my waist and I lightly sweat. During the day I just suffer through it because by the time I would remove a sweater or go outside, they would be over and I'd be cold. At night I have a wonderful 'cooling pillow' which has a gel sheet on one side. It gets cool from room temperature. When I get a night flash I put my face on the gel pillow and it helps cool me down. When it passes I put the pillow on the floor so it will be cool for the next one. My face gets beet red and I am usually very pale so use very fair foundation. When I get red, my makeup looks terrible. Misery.

Comment from: DDock, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I am having a flash right now as I type this. It's terrible! I can function okay during the day and find relief by turning up the fan or fluffing my shirt out so air gets up there. The only thing that has worked for me at night is to actually get in the shower. I take two cold showers a night on average and that seems to kick me back into a normal pattern for a good amount of time and I can get back to sleep and sleep longer.

Comment from: Caitlin, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 28

For some reason, a lot of hot flashes have sometimes been making me feel sick a lot, but it"s all the time I have hot flashes, and most of the time I feel like I"m going to pass out, and whenever my mom checks my temperature, she says I"m perfectly fine. It"s so weird.

Comment from: Lori, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I'm 54, with a partial hysterectomy done years ago. I have one ovary left. About 2 years ago out of the blue I got hit with terrible hot flashes. The doctor gave me estradiol. Within 3 days they were under control. The last few months though, even on little exertion I am so hot I feel sick. My problem is, these hot waves are going on 24/7. I can't unload the dishwasher without burning up and profuse sweating. I remember my grandmother for years wearing a full apron with no back because she said she was hot all the time. Yesterday it was 3 deg C and I was in my truck with full air conditioning. I don't know how I can continue to work this way. I can handle a flash but this is crazy. The only relief I get is standing in the garage with a sun dress on when it's 2 deg C. I wear sundresses all day. I have to go back to work shortly after a short time off and do not have the luxury of bringing a fan with me.

Comment from: LeaAnn53, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I am 60. Menopause was at age 46. I had no symptoms at the time. No libido for over 14 years, now suddenly I have urges. Also, hot flashes like crazy.

Comment from: Lola, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

Oh my goodness, I can"t explain how these hot flashes and night sweats affect your life. First off at night before bed I wear a 100% cotton tank top and panties. Of course, around 3:00 a.m. it hits you like a ton of hot charcoal, I roll over and the spot I was sleeping in is literally hot to the touch, I find myself flipping and turning all night. Most mornings I wake up at the foot of the bed. Today I took my first hormone replacement therapy (HRT) pill, wish me luck! I"m sure I need it.

Hot Flashes - Treatments Question: How do you manage your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Causes Question: What was the cause of your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Symptoms Question: What are the symptoms associated with your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Alternative Treatments Question: What types of complementary or alternative treatments have you tried to relieve hot flashes?