Patient Comments: Hot Flashes - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Hot Flashes.

Comment from: JENNY E., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I am a 30 year old female and I have been experiencing hot flashes for 4 months that seem to last a little over an hour each time, couple of times a day. I can't seem to control my body temperature, then I get the chills and my face is so hot and turns red. I have taken every blood test and all results check out just fine.

Comment from: flash, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I had my first hot flash 6 years ago when I was 37 years old. I was 8 months pregnant with my 7th child. They lasted for hours and left me feeling weak and shaky. They started in my head and then would roll through my entire body making me feel like I was burning up inside. My cheeks would get red and I would feel sick to my stomach and get very anxious. The longest one that I had lasted for 7 hours. I saw my obstetrician, a cardiologist and an internist and none of them could find anything wrong. My obstetrician started me on Zoloft and the hot flashes stopped. I weaned off the Zoloft last month and they started again. I am going to try flaxseed. I have a family history of stroke so I don't want to take hormones. I have loved reading others' experiences. It helps me to know that I am not alone in this phase of my life.

Comment from: mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

Hot flashes for me are so severe that I fear that I will have a heart attack or die. Recently I had the worst one thus far, after 15 years of this. I got so frightened that I called 911. The burning starts in the middle of my abdomen then I get nauseated. I start sweating profusely and eliminating urine and waste uncontrollably. Then I start retching or trying to vomit. All the while ripping my clothes off and putting ice packs directly on my back and neck while running cold water on the insides of my wrists and face. These attacks last about 1 to 3 minutes, then I'm wiped out for a day or two. I have had no replacement therapy; too frightened about cancer developing.

Comment from: J Louise, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I get hot flashes that can last for hours. My doctor says this is normal but I have never met anyone who sweats like I do. It is torture. It can be 60 degrees out and everyone is wearing jackets. And I am soaked. Then sweating and chilled to the bone. My temperature is 99.6 to 100. Sometimes I feel like I'm standing under a hose. I am 60 and this has been going on for 8 years. It started 4 or 5 years post menopause. I put in a ceiling fan which helps, but not much.

Comment from: Wendy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

Hot flashes are ruining my life! The only thing that relieves them is a cool shower, but most of the time the relief is temporary. I have them all day and all night, no rhyme or reason to them. My poor spouse is beside himself. I cannot bear for him to be in the same bed as me because his body heat makes my flashes worse, and he says I keep the bedroom too cold (I have the window wide open even when there is snow outside). They started around 51 and I'm 54 now. I don't know how much longer I can go on like this.

Comment from: monkey, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

For no reason, it is not hot or warm in the house, I break out in a sweat.

Comment from: countryliving, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I am 70 years old, went thru menopause at 44 and did not have hot flashes. Now, I have them. House is not hot. I literally break out in a sweat more on my neck than anywhere else.

Hot Flashes - Treatments Question: How do you manage your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Causes Question: What was the cause of your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Symptoms Question: What are the symptoms associated with your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Alternative Treatments Question: What types of complementary or alternative treatments have you tried to relieve hot flashes?