Patient Comments: Hot Flashes - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Hot Flashes.

Comment from: Caitlin, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 28

For some reason, a lot of hot flashes have sometimes been making me feel sick a lot, but it"s all the time I have hot flashes, and most of the time I feel like I"m going to pass out, and whenever my mom checks my temperature, she says I"m perfectly fine. It"s so weird.

Comment from: Lori, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I'm 54, with a partial hysterectomy done years ago. I have one ovary left. About 2 years ago out of the blue I got hit with terrible hot flashes. The doctor gave me estradiol. Within 3 days they were under control. The last few months though, even on little exertion I am so hot I feel sick. My problem is, these hot waves are going on 24/7. I can't unload the dishwasher without burning up and profuse sweating. I remember my grandmother for years wearing a full apron with no back because she said she was hot all the time. Yesterday it was 3 deg C and I was in my truck with full air conditioning. I don't know how I can continue to work this way. I can handle a flash but this is crazy. The only relief I get is standing in the garage with a sun dress on when it's 2 deg C. I wear sundresses all day. I have to go back to work shortly after a short time off and do not have the luxury of bringing a fan with me.

Comment from: Kay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I am 51 and I suddenly started having severe hot flashes - once every 45 to 60 minutes, all day and all night. I did not get a decent night's sleep for 17 days, and I was starting to unravel. Desperate to try something, as I had read that flax seed, as a treatment for hot flashes, had recorded positive results, I tried it. I got some ground milled flaxseed, had two tablespoons in the morning and two at night. Within two days, the hot flashes were totally gone. Note: flaxseed oil did not work; I tried that first before realizing it had to be the ground, milled flaxseed. The taste is not too good, but it is edible in oatmeal or yogurt, but I would have eaten it plain, it was so worth it to get some good rest.

Comment from: Lola, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

Oh my goodness, I can"t explain how these hot flashes and night sweats affect your life. First off at night before bed I wear a 100% cotton tank top and panties. Of course, around 3:00 a.m. it hits you like a ton of hot charcoal, I roll over and the spot I was sleeping in is literally hot to the touch, I find myself flipping and turning all night. Most mornings I wake up at the foot of the bed. Today I took my first hormone replacement therapy (HRT) pill, wish me luck! I"m sure I need it.

Comment from: didi768, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I started having hot flashes last 3 weeks or so. I am 48. First I get like this tingly feeling and it slowly progresses to 'whip off all my clothes or I will die' type of thing and being in Florida I am soon to suffer from humidity and heat again for months. I am scared of going broke for how much my air is going to be going constantly and we don"t have money for those big bills. I am crying one minute and laughing the next. After the awful hot flash, I get kind of cold and need covers again.

Comment from: tisme, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 07

Hot flashes/flushes are driving me nuts. I sweat from the head and neck, even just walking gently down the hallway and for the sweat black cohosh can only be taken for 6 months. I won't take hormone replacement therapy.

Comment from: Natalie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have been having unusual feelings of a very strong sense of heat starting in my lower legs and slowly moving to my chest. It feels very hot as it rolls upwards. What in the world would cause that! It has happened 9 to 10 times in one month. I am 73 and have already gone through menopause.

Hot Flashes - Treatments Question: How do you manage your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Causes Question: What was the cause of your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Symptoms Question: What are the symptoms associated with your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Alternative Treatments Question: What types of complementary or alternative treatments have you tried to relieve hot flashes?