Patient Comments: Hot Flashes - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Hot Flashes.

Comment from: clou, 45-54 Female Published: June 26

I have experienced hot flashes about every two hours during the day and into the night. I have successfully used a Chinese herbal supplement (capsules) that contains several key herbs for treatment in the past. I used a highly-recommended Chinese herbalist for an initial consult (make sure s/he is licensed in the state where you live). When my husband was unemployed, I stopped the herbs, and the flashes resumed until now. My husband is back to work, and I can't wait to get my herbs again. It took about five days for the herbal prep to kick in, but once it did, I got a good night's sleep, and the flashes went away.

Comment from: lilsparrow, 45-54 (Patient) Published: June 26

Without warning, I suddenly seem to ignite from my core, with intense heat rippling outward, until my skin almost burns, my face turns beet red, and I feel panicky. In that moment, I want to rip off my hair and strip off my clothes while I gasp for breath. What I do is stand up, put my hair up, and wipe myself down with a cool cloth. If I am out, I use hand sanitizer on my neck and face. Night ones are worse because I wake up in a sweaty panic, tossing and turning in misery until it passes. Then I lie in a cold damp mess, shivering under the covers. My husband says "nights are schizophrenic around here" with me flinging our covers off, then hogging them all back again, only to fling them off again an hour later! For these, an open window, ceiling fan, and sleeping in the nude helps. I don't use any herbs at this time, but I do take flaxseed every day. I will be so glad when they end.

Comment from: special K, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I've had hot flashes for 20 years. I had surgical menopause because of endometriosis. I have extremely bad hot flashes. During the day, I sweat like someone poured water over my head. Night sweats are just as bad. I wake up with my bed clothes soaked and wet. I've been on hormone therapy for years, but nothing seems to work. The sweats interfere with my everyday life. It's embarrassing when I'm around friends or just out with my family or fiancé. In the summer it's harder. It's interferes with putting makeup on or even getting dressed up to go out -- by the time I'm dressed I sometimes have to change again because the clothes are sweaty, and my makeup is ruined. I've cut my hair short.

Comment from: slrsam1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I have not had a period for about 7 years now. I have not had any hot flashes until about 6 months ago. They are all in the daytime and they are pretty severe and come with nausea and general weakness and fatigue.

Comment from: too too hot, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I have been experiencing symptoms of menopause for the last 8 months. The hot flashes are driving me crazy.

Comment from: Redsmart1, 45-54 (Patient) Published: August 18

I had a total hysterectomy for cervical cancer about 8 weeks ago and I am now having hot flashes. I thought they would only last a few weeks until my body adjusted to the ovaries missing. I think I was in menopause prior to my surgery. Anyway I am 50.

Comment from: Casey123, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

Mine starts with the same feeling as fear. It's a quick burst of heat and nerve endings igniting, like in fear, then the heat spreads all over, mostly to my face, neck and chest.

Comment from: Afmomdonna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I would describe it as, whew! I am sweating in throughout my head without doing anything to have made me sweat and it makes me so hot I feel almost sick. I had a hysterectomy at the age of 27 due to other issues so expected it before the age of 49 as I am now but did not expect is this extreme. I do have some other symptoms but the worst part for me is definitely the hot flashes! WOW!

Hot Flashes - Treatments Question: How do you manage your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Causes Question: What was the cause of your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Symptoms Question: What are the symptoms associated with your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Alternative Treatments Question: What types of complementary or alternative treatments have you tried to relieve hot flashes?