Patient Comments: Hot Flashes - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Hot Flashes.

Comment from: slrsam1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I have not had a period for about 7 years now. I have not had any hot flashes until about 6 months ago. They are all in the daytime and they are pretty severe and come with nausea and general weakness and fatigue.

Comment from: too too hot, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I have been experiencing symptoms of menopause for the last 8 months. The hot flashes are driving me crazy.

Comment from: Redsmart1, 45-54 (Patient) Published: August 18

I had a total hysterectomy for cervical cancer about 8 weeks ago and I am now having hot flashes. I thought they would only last a few weeks until my body adjusted to the ovaries missing. I think I was in menopause prior to my surgery. Anyway I am 50.

Comment from: Casey123, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

Mine starts with the same feeling as fear. It's a quick burst of heat and nerve endings igniting, like in fear, then the heat spreads all over, mostly to my face, neck and chest.

Comment from: Afmomdonna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I would describe it as, whew! I am sweating in throughout my head without doing anything to have made me sweat and it makes me so hot I feel almost sick. I had a hysterectomy at the age of 27 due to other issues so expected it before the age of 49 as I am now but did not expect is this extreme. I do have some other symptoms but the worst part for me is definitely the hot flashes! WOW!

Comment from: senioreet, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I am 77 years old, had a hysterectomy at age 40, and was subsequently put on HRT therapy. I still am having hot flashes because I stopped HRT (just estrogen) because of concern over possible side effect. My GYN physician has me talking a very small dosage of HRT three times a week, which has helped, but I am still subject to at least one hot flash a day. I was curious to know if any other older women have had similar experiences.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

It seems my nights are consumed with night sweats, then freezing and constant urination. I am 51, and lack of sleep is interfering with my job. Is there an over the counter treatment I can buy as I do not have health insurance and cannot afford to go to a doctor. My stomach has doubled in size and I also have severe pain there very often.

Comment from: Nanners463, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I had a complete hysterectomy approximately 15 years ago. I tried various hormones, to no avail, and on a transdermal estradiol patch .1 for years, but none relieved my hot flash symptoms. I went off the patch in December. I still have the extreme hot flashes and they are reducing my quality of life. I can't go anywhere; it seems, without having hot flashes and getting my clothes completely drenched. The sweat literally drips down my back, my legs, my chest, my face, etc.

Comment from: Sophie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I wake up with hot flashes but the anxiety that accompanies them is what I can't deal with any more. I feel like it is a cyclical thing. Hot flash, anxiety, anxiety causes another hot flash. After I am up and around the hot flashes keep coming, sometimes every 30 minutes. I feel very frustrated and feeling hopeless. I have been on bio-identical HRT for a month now and still having hot flashes. I need to know how to assist my brain to balance the thermostat.

Hot Flashes - Treatments Question: How do you manage your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Causes Question: What was the cause of your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Symptoms Question: What are the symptoms associated with your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Alternative Treatments Question: What types of complementary or alternative treatments have you tried to relieve hot flashes?