Patient Comments: Hot Flashes - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Hot Flashes.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: September 16

I started getting them out of the blue two weeks ago. I'm 51 exercise regularly, (20 miles a week jogging), and eat well--I actually cook meals with ingredients like lentils. I'll get maybe seven hot flashes per day, little mini flashes that last a minute or so and I sweat. But it's kind of neat actually, and I don't see this a problem that needs to be fixed. I am eager to try black cohosh as I've read so much about it.

Comment from: sister_eileen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I had a hysterectomy in 1988 and now, more than 20 years later, I am still plagued with hot flashes and night sweats. They have basically ruined my life because I can't go out of air conditioning during the summer for more than a few minutes at a time or I sweat until I soak my clothes. I have been to numerous doctors to no avail. Anything above 60-65 degrees and I am wringing in sweat. I pray every night for relief, but none has been forthcoming. I don't believe that doctors take this condition seriously.

Comment from: kay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I never know when they will hit me. But I keep a small fan behind my desk at work going all the time. That helps. Hot green tea seems to help. I find that chocolate brings on the flashes also.

Comment from: Karyn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I had a hysterectomy at the age of 29 due to uterine cancer. They took both ovaries. I have been suffering from hot flashes, night sweats, bad dreams and irritability ever since. I sweat profusely and always at the worst time - in public. I cannot cool my body down. I have been on Premarin, but the side effects are bad. I am 34 years old and always feel embarassed about the hot flashes. I avoid hot tea and coffee, caffeine, spicy foods and stress. Nothing helps. It is difficult to get ready in the mornings, especially trying to blow dry your hair only for it to be soaked again. And putting on makeup is useless. My deodorant doesn't even work anymore.

Comment from: Doyle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

In the last two years, I suffered anxiety, mood swings, and other symptoms that almost ruined my marriage. I have recently discovered I am going through menopause. After I was diagnosed, the doctor offered HRT. I was told I became premenopausal in my late 30s. What made me go to the doctor was this chronic tiredness. At the time, I thought I just had a temperature/viral infection. I did not feel comfortable taking HRT. Now I am on a very special oil that I've been on for the last three months. My energy levels have increased. I have no more hot flashes and no side effects.

Comment from: Sweaty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I had a hysterectomy a year ago at age 50 and began having hot flashes within a week. My doctor had let me believe that they would be over within a couple of months, but that hasn't been the case. Last summer I was miserable and embarrassed by my constant public sweating. The hot flashes would begin with a tingling along my jaw. This at least gave me a warning, and I could start peeling off clothes before the heat hit. The flashes are somewhat better this year. I've been taking large amounts of soy isoflavones and black cohosh (I can't use HRT). My quality of life has deteriorated from the hot flashes, mood swings, and nonexistent sex drive, and I wish I had not had the surgery.

Comment from: bubbieone, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

After being recently diagnosed with breast cancer, I too stopped my hormones. All hell broke loose. The hot flashes are so debilitating. I have never been a good sleeper, getting up several times a night, but now I have so many hot flashes and night sweats that I am exhausted. The cancer center recommended venlafaxine. I have only taken it for two days, and they say it will take several weeks. Let's hope!

Comment from: phil, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 26

It is an odd feeling. It's more than being too hot. I suddenly flush in the face sweat on my brow, neck, ears, and especially breast creases. In my case, I often have a feeling of letting go and wanting to faint, but I don't actually faint. On occasion, I feel panicky when this happens, especially on an airplane or in a theater where you cannot cool down easily. I am often standing outside during the night in the garden flapping my pajamas to cool down -- not good when you live in the west of Scotland.

Hot Flashes - Treatments Question: How do you manage your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Causes Question: What was the cause of your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Symptoms Question: What are the symptoms associated with your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Alternative Treatments Question: What types of complementary or alternative treatments have you tried to relieve hot flashes?