Patient Comments: Hot Flashes - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Hot Flashes.

Comment from: Doyle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

In the last two years, I suffered anxiety, mood swings, and other symptoms that almost ruined my marriage. I have recently discovered I am going through menopause. After I was diagnosed, the doctor offered HRT. I was told I became premenopausal in my late 30s. What made me go to the doctor was this chronic tiredness. At the time, I thought I just had a temperature/viral infection. I did not feel comfortable taking HRT. Now I am on a very special oil that I've been on for the last three months. My energy levels have increased. I have no more hot flashes and no side effects.

Comment from: Sweaty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I had a hysterectomy a year ago at age 50 and began having hot flashes within a week. My doctor had let me believe that they would be over within a couple of months, but that hasn't been the case. Last summer I was miserable and embarrassed by my constant public sweating. The hot flashes would begin with a tingling along my jaw. This at least gave me a warning, and I could start peeling off clothes before the heat hit. The flashes are somewhat better this year. I've been taking large amounts of soy isoflavones and black cohosh (I can't use HRT). My quality of life has deteriorated from the hot flashes, mood swings, and nonexistent sex drive, and I wish I had not had the surgery.

Comment from: bubbieone, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

After being recently diagnosed with breast cancer, I too stopped my hormones. All hell broke loose. The hot flashes are so debilitating. I have never been a good sleeper, getting up several times a night, but now I have so many hot flashes and night sweats that I am exhausted. The cancer center recommended venlafaxine. I have only taken it for two days, and they say it will take several weeks. Let's hope!

Comment from: phil, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 26

It is an odd feeling. It's more than being too hot. I suddenly flush in the face sweat on my brow, neck, ears, and especially breast creases. In my case, I often have a feeling of letting go and wanting to faint, but I don't actually faint. On occasion, I feel panicky when this happens, especially on an airplane or in a theater where you cannot cool down easily. I am often standing outside during the night in the garden flapping my pajamas to cool down -- not good when you live in the west of Scotland.

Comment from: clou, 45-54 Female Published: June 26

I have experienced hot flashes about every two hours during the day and into the night. I have successfully used a Chinese herbal supplement (capsules) that contains several key herbs for treatment in the past. I used a highly-recommended Chinese herbalist for an initial consult (make sure s/he is licensed in the state where you live). When my husband was unemployed, I stopped the herbs, and the flashes resumed until now. My husband is back to work, and I can't wait to get my herbs again. It took about five days for the herbal prep to kick in, but once it did, I got a good night's sleep, and the flashes went away.

Comment from: lilsparrow, 45-54 (Patient) Published: June 26

Without warning, I suddenly seem to ignite from my core, with intense heat rippling outward, until my skin almost burns, my face turns beet red, and I feel panicky. In that moment, I want to rip off my hair and strip off my clothes while I gasp for breath. What I do is stand up, put my hair up, and wipe myself down with a cool cloth. If I am out, I use hand sanitizer on my neck and face. Night ones are worse because I wake up in a sweaty panic, tossing and turning in misery until it passes. Then I lie in a cold damp mess, shivering under the covers. My husband says "nights are schizophrenic around here" with me flinging our covers off, then hogging them all back again, only to fling them off again an hour later! For these, an open window, ceiling fan, and sleeping in the nude helps. I don't use any herbs at this time, but I do take flaxseed every day. I will be so glad when they end.

Comment from: special K, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I've had hot flashes for 20 years. I had surgical menopause because of endometriosis. I have extremely bad hot flashes. During the day, I sweat like someone poured water over my head. Night sweats are just as bad. I wake up with my bed clothes soaked and wet. I've been on hormone therapy for years, but nothing seems to work. The sweats interfere with my everyday life. It's embarrassing when I'm around friends or just out with my family or fiancé. In the summer it's harder. It's interferes with putting makeup on or even getting dressed up to go out -- by the time I'm dressed I sometimes have to change again because the clothes are sweaty, and my makeup is ruined. I've cut my hair short.

Hot Flashes - Treatments Question: How do you manage your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Causes Question: What was the cause of your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Symptoms Question: What are the symptoms associated with your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Alternative Treatments Question: What types of complementary or alternative treatments have you tried to relieve hot flashes?