Patient Comments: Hot Flashes - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Hot Flashes.

Comment from: Mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I am 63 and have been diagnosed with DCIS-early stage breast cancer. I was on hormones for probably 12 or more years, with the latest one being Prempro. I was on the lowest possible dose, every other day. Now that I have been diagnosed, I have to wonder if hormones contributed to my cancer diagnosis. I was taken off the Prempro gradually over a 2 week period following my diagnosis. My oncologist started me on tamoxifen, and now I have hot flashes, night sweats, and restlessness at night. He has now given me a generic for Neurontin (100 mg) at bedtime. I took the first one (100 mg) last night, and although it took me a little bit to get “settled,” I slept the whole night through with no after-effects this morning. I started out at 300 mg, but it took more than 12 hours to leave my system, and I was extremely groggy, so I knew I couldn't function on that dosage.

Comment from: ebabe, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

They are back I was rid of them for years, now they are back worse then ever. I have night sweats so bad I am up 2-3 times a night, I have terrible sweats and hot flashes all day. I sweat profusely in air conditioning. Doesn't matter where or when. In fact, I'd rather be outside sweating because I know there's a reason to be sweating, I live in Florida. I'm 61 yrs old and I had a hysterectomy when I was 30, they left one ovary in case it was healthy and said I would benefit from it by not having to take estrogen. So 10 years later that ovary became diseased and they had to remove it, then they put me on estrogen until I went off of it when I was 50 after having two breast biopsies. The flashes and night sweats stopped for a year and came back with a vengeance. I'm about going mad suffering with all this 24-7. I'm going to see a GYN soon and see if she has some suggestions my primary doctor hasn't helped. I've been on and off black cohosh for 3 years, not helping too much this time around.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I had a hysterectomy and began HRT Premarin .625. I had a very good quality of life with few to no hot flashes. Due to the recent studies that show that Premarin increases the chance for heart attack and stroke, both my gynecologist and family doctor have advised that I not take the medication anymore. My dosage was reduced to .45 daily, then decreased over a year until I was totally off Premarin. I have now been totally off Premarin for 2 months. I have multiple hot flashes. I do not sleep well. I never had blood pressure issues at all until I starting decreasing Premarin. Now I am forced to take blood pressure meds. I feel that my quality of life is completely gone. I am 62 and cannot continue without some type of hot flash help! I'm ready to go back on Premarin and take my changes.

Comment from: May, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I am 63 and still have hot flashes, most notably at night. I had breast cancer at 59. I did not go through chemo or radiation. I am healthy, employed, active, and happy. I believe that the breast cancer occurred from hormone replacement therapy prescribed to me for nine years -- four of them in combination form -- to stop my menstrual cycle. When I tried to go off the hormones, I would suffer from extreme hot flashes. Looking back now, I would choose that over breast cancer. I also believe that progestin in hormone replacement is not the same as progesterone (which protects), and that is what caused the breast cancer. Other women need to know this!

Comment from: Dakotagirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I can't accept living with these miserable hot flashes 20 times a day and through the night. I don't smoke or have cancer in my family, but even if I did I would still demand my Prempro. It's about my quality of life. Having severe hot flashes 24/7 is not a life I am willing to accept to live with. Stick up for yourself and do not let these doctors walk all over you because they fear blame for you deciding what your body needs. I know what works and what does not work for me. I do my own research thoroughly and can decide much better than some doctor who saw me for a whole 10 minutes what I need and what risks I am willing to take. Stick up for yourself and claim your life back. I do, and am better off for it.

Comment from: kim, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I started the hot/cold flashes about 2 years ago. I am now 42. My periods were ever changing in the past 2 years and I just prayed that the end was near...Now, I have been without a period for 2 straight months. YIPPEEE!!! I have not had a pap smear in probably 12 years going on 13. Saw no need. Husband dead, daughter grown, and on my own. My sister is 10 yrs older than I am and she still has the flashes, but her period ended over a year ago. Hope a year from now that the period is done for me too. Plan to start taking black cohosh again to see if it will help with the flashes.

Hot Flashes - Treatments Question: How do you manage your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Causes Question: What was the cause of your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Symptoms Question: What are the symptoms associated with your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Alternative Treatments Question: What types of complementary or alternative treatments have you tried to relieve hot flashes?