Patient Comments: Hot Flashes - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Hot Flashes.

Comment from: DDock, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I am having a flash right now as I type this. It's terrible! I can function okay during the day and find relief by turning up the fan or fluffing my shirt out so air gets up there. The only thing that has worked for me at night is to actually get in the shower. I take two cold showers a night on average and that seems to kick me back into a normal pattern for a good amount of time and I can get back to sleep and sleep longer.

Comment from: Caitlin, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 28

For some reason, a lot of hot flashes have sometimes been making me feel sick a lot, but it"s all the time I have hot flashes, and most of the time I feel like I"m going to pass out, and whenever my mom checks my temperature, she says I"m perfectly fine. It"s so weird.

Comment from: Lori, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I'm 54, with a partial hysterectomy done years ago. I have one ovary left. About 2 years ago out of the blue I got hit with terrible hot flashes. The doctor gave me estradiol. Within 3 days they were under control. The last few months though, even on little exertion I am so hot I feel sick. My problem is, these hot waves are going on 24/7. I can't unload the dishwasher without burning up and profuse sweating. I remember my grandmother for years wearing a full apron with no back because she said she was hot all the time. Yesterday it was 3 deg C and I was in my truck with full air conditioning. I don't know how I can continue to work this way. I can handle a flash but this is crazy. The only relief I get is standing in the garage with a sun dress on when it's 2 deg C. I wear sundresses all day. I have to go back to work shortly after a short time off and do not have the luxury of bringing a fan with me.

Comment from: Kay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I am 51 and I suddenly started having severe hot flashes - once every 45 to 60 minutes, all day and all night. I did not get a decent night's sleep for 17 days, and I was starting to unravel. Desperate to try something, as I had read that flax seed, as a treatment for hot flashes, had recorded positive results, I tried it. I got some ground milled flaxseed, had two tablespoons in the morning and two at night. Within two days, the hot flashes were totally gone. Note: flaxseed oil did not work; I tried that first before realizing it had to be the ground, milled flaxseed. The taste is not too good, but it is edible in oatmeal or yogurt, but I would have eaten it plain, it was so worth it to get some good rest.

Comment from: countryliving, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I am 70 years old, went thru menopause at 44 and did not have hot flashes. Now, I have them. House is not hot. I literally break out in a sweat more on my neck than anywhere else.

Comment from: theresa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I just start burning inside and then profuse sweating. I can be sitting still or moving about nothing helps with my hot flashes.

Comment from: Julie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I am 49 and the doctor just told me I am 'about done' with menopause. I didn't even know I started... which was great, I had no symptoms whatsoever except I stopped getting my period for around 6 months. That's why I went to the doctor in the first place. But all of a sudden I have been getting hot flashes now; it creeps up, my neck and face start burning up, I get nauseous and I can't think straight.

Comment from: LeaAnn53, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I am 60. Menopause was at age 46. I had no symptoms at the time. No libido for over 14 years, now suddenly I have urges. Also, hot flashes like crazy.

Hot Flashes - Treatments Question: How do you manage your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Causes Question: What was the cause of your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Symptoms Question: What are the symptoms associated with your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Alternative Treatments Question: What types of complementary or alternative treatments have you tried to relieve hot flashes?