Patient Comments: Hot Flashes - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Hot Flashes.

Comment from: pkpkenyon1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

The night sweats and the bad dreams are horrible! It's bad when you wake up in the morning and your husband has a black eye! I ask "what happened?" He replies "I don't know! I didn't have this when we went to bed!" Yikes! The dreams I have been having are totally weird. I don't remember any dreams that are violent, only the weird ones; that makes me a little freaked out.

Comment from: pammi, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 02

They are terrible! I sweat like a man, I'm so hot I can't stand it, I take a fan almost every where I go, everywhere with an electric outlet. I'm African American, my hair "goes back” and frizzes up, I can't keep my hair done, relaxers just don't work any more. My deodorant cooks off, near the end of the day, I would smell something and realized it was me! I carry a baggy and washcloth and deodorant with me, in my purse. I am up maybe 3-4 times a night, my nightgown is usually soaked, from sweating. I always said I would be glad when menopause started, but boy was I wrong! I would have a period maybe once every 5 months, and even though the period would be very heavy, the other symptoms would stop. I'd be glad for the period.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I have had uterus removed which is called abdominal hysterectomy and then years later I had my right ovary removed. I have had trouble with my left ovary every since. I was given a birth control shot 2 months ago I am 42 I think the shot was called premovara or something with a P. Now for the last month I have severe hot flashes all day and night. I have to change my shirt about 7 times a day. It is summer time and air conditioner is on. I had to turn down to 74 and it is still too cold. Every time I soak my shirt and my hair gets soaked I freeze so back under covers then hot again then take off covers and freeze again. I am exhausted and want to leave my home and run away from husband and dogs. I would have never left my dogs in a million years. Children are grown and doggies are my babies, but lately I would leave everything to just run away but where would I go. I had a pelvic ultrasound 2 days ago and ovary was shrunk so small she could hardly find it. 6 weeks ago it was big as softball. I really feel the shot has put me into premature or full blown menopause. I go back to OBGYN in 6 weeks for another shot. I am going to get blood test to check for menopause before I let them give me a shot. My mother had breast cancer stage 3 and is a 10 year survivor now but they have already told me no hormones and estrogen for me when I have menopause because of my mother. I am miserable and tired hot and cold. I hate it. I thought it only lasted 1 year but after reading about it lasting 5-10 I don't think I can take it that long.

Comment from: Bonnie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I had hot flashes for nearly 5 years, 24hrs of the day. I have tried Clonidine, HRT patches, Venlafaxine, and more HRT patches which caused severe bleeding and clots. I have tried every herbal tablet going for the menopause nothing works. It took a new doctor to decide to do 24 hour Urine Tests to rule out any other reason. I also suffer from severe stress and anxiety. Stress also gives you hot flushes and cold sweats, so I don't know whether I am coming or going. I even did a menopause nondrug trial. This teaches you to deep breathe through a flush and let it flow over you no chance! It just completely ruins your life. I have not had a proper night's sleep for 5 years so am constantly drained.

Comment from: Hot Wet and Tired, 35-44 Female Published: August 17

I used to be regular. Over the last couple of years my cycle is totally out of whack. I could be regular for a month then nothing for two or three months, then a regular cycle of five days clear up and then in two days two weeks it's back on again. There is no regularity at all. Now the last year I have been having night sweats, and not just lightly but totally soaking wet. Bed clothing, sheets, pillows everything. I have spoken to my doctor about all of this. I have even gone to a gynecologist and they are saying that I am too young for menopause. I had osteoporosis at eleven years of age, but they are telling me basically to just bear with it.

Comment from: Bev, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I have suffered from hot flashes more in the last 3 months than I have since I started the menopause which was about 5 years ago. (I am 55). I tried HRT but different ones made some of my symptoms worse, in particular migraine. I also found that soya, which I was using regularly, via foodstuffs, thinking it was helping me, was actually making my migraines worse and harder to treat. As I'm writing this I'm having a flash! They have definitely increased. From 3-4 a day and 1-2 at night, I now have about up to 20 daily and 4-5 nightly! I suppose it's back to the Doctors, though what they're going to do I have no idea.

Hot Flashes - Treatments Question: How do you manage your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Causes Question: What was the cause of your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Symptoms Question: What are the symptoms associated with your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Alternative Treatments Question: What types of complementary or alternative treatments have you tried to relieve hot flashes?