Patient Comments: Hot Flashes - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Hot Flashes.

Comment from: JLArnold, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I have been having hot flashes for about a year. The last few weeks they have been much worse at night and they are always followed by the chills. I feel too hot, then I am too cold with the chills, and I have been getting very little sleep from them. I feel I need to do something to control them because I have very little energy due to no sleep.

Comment from: abuwa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I have been having irregular periods and sporadic hot flashes for a while without really taking notice. Recently at a friend's birthday party I experience a sudden heat attack that paralyzed my whole body. I almost cried for help and it repeated itself at least 4 times within 1 hour and that's when it dawned on me that it must be premenopausal syndrome. Since then I have been experiencing same blinding heats that send flash of needle like prickling heat through my body every day. Sometimes these flashes actually turn my concentration from work and it's really disturbing. I have not seen my doctor yet, still gathering more data before doing so. Other symptoms I have include: trouble sleeping, severe fatigue despite exercise, irregular periods, and mood swings.

Comment from: Lignocaine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I am 53 and started menopause at 36. I've been on Premarin for 17 years. Whenever I try to go off of it the hot flashes get so bad that I end up starting again. My hot flashes seem to go in cycles. I'll have them for a couple months and then they'll be gone for a month. It's like there is a coal furnace in my abdomen and it's been stoked up high. I own 2 remote controlled tower fans and don't know how I would survive without them.

Comment from: flushed, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

In the last week or so I have been experiencing hot dry flushes on my face and chest. Plus I feel hot all over but I don't sweat. My doctor says I'm too young to be going through menopause but I'm 50 years old and haven't had a period since I was 40.

Comment from: helpful advice, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I began getting hot flashes in the first trimester of my pregnancy. My child almost 4 and I"m in the middle of one that has lasted for about 6 hours now. So I believe I"m either pregnant or peri-menopausal, because even my longest ones while pregnant were only a couple of hours. (Only that"s a laugh right?) I thought I"d share a quick, cheap way to make them more bearable with you all. Wet a washcloth and sprinkle peppermint extract across. Thanks to this little trick I barely even sweated pushing my little munchkin into the world, and somehow survived my third trimester falling in the summer (June to August) in the south. Hope it helps!

Comment from: pmw148, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I am 51 and started with hot flashes only at night about four months ago. They gradually became more frequent and are now about every hour during the day. At night, I take one Benadryl and .5 mg klonopin and sleep until about 2-3 and then the flashes start. The burning starts in my face and spreads down to about my waist and I lightly sweat. During the day I just suffer through it because by the time I would remove a sweater or go outside, they would be over and I'd be cold. At night I have a wonderful 'cooling pillow' which has a gel sheet on one side. It gets cool from room temperature. When I get a night flash I put my face on the gel pillow and it helps cool me down. When it passes I put the pillow on the floor so it will be cool for the next one. My face gets beet red and I am usually very pale so use very fair foundation. When I get red, my makeup looks terrible. Misery.

Comment from: DDock, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I am having a flash right now as I type this. It's terrible! I can function okay during the day and find relief by turning up the fan or fluffing my shirt out so air gets up there. The only thing that has worked for me at night is to actually get in the shower. I take two cold showers a night on average and that seems to kick me back into a normal pattern for a good amount of time and I can get back to sleep and sleep longer.

Hot Flashes - Treatments Question: How do you manage your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Causes Question: What was the cause of your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Symptoms Question: What are the symptoms associated with your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Alternative Treatments Question: What types of complementary or alternative treatments have you tried to relieve hot flashes?