Patient Comments: Hot Flashes - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Hot Flashes.

Comment from: Kay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I am 51 and I suddenly started having severe hot flashes - once every 45 to 60 minutes, all day and all night. I did not get a decent night's sleep for 17 days, and I was starting to unravel. Desperate to try something, as I had read that flax seed, as a treatment for hot flashes, had recorded positive results, I tried it. I got some ground milled flaxseed, had two tablespoons in the morning and two at night. Within two days, the hot flashes were totally gone. Note: flaxseed oil did not work; I tried that first before realizing it had to be the ground, milled flaxseed. The taste is not too good, but it is edible in oatmeal or yogurt, but I would have eaten it plain, it was so worth it to get some good rest.

Comment from: didi768, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I started having hot flashes last 3 weeks or so. I am 48. First I get like this tingly feeling and it slowly progresses to 'whip off all my clothes or I will die' type of thing and being in Florida I am soon to suffer from humidity and heat again for months. I am scared of going broke for how much my air is going to be going constantly and we don"t have money for those big bills. I am crying one minute and laughing the next. After the awful hot flash, I get kind of cold and need covers again.

Comment from: tisme, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 07

Hot flashes/flushes are driving me nuts. I sweat from the head and neck, even just walking gently down the hallway and for the sweat black cohosh can only be taken for 6 months. I won't take hormone replacement therapy.

Comment from: Natalie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have been having unusual feelings of a very strong sense of heat starting in my lower legs and slowly moving to my chest. It feels very hot as it rolls upwards. What in the world would cause that! It has happened 9 to 10 times in one month. I am 73 and have already gone through menopause.

Comment from: pkpkenyon1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

The night sweats and the bad dreams are horrible! It's bad when you wake up in the morning and your husband has a black eye! I ask "what happened?" He replies "I don't know! I didn't have this when we went to bed!" Yikes! The dreams I have been having are totally weird. I don't remember any dreams that are violent, only the weird ones; that makes me a little freaked out.

Comment from: pammi, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 02

They are terrible! I sweat like a man, I'm so hot I can't stand it, I take a fan almost every where I go, everywhere with an electric outlet. I'm African American, my hair "goes back” and frizzes up, I can't keep my hair done, relaxers just don't work any more. My deodorant cooks off, near the end of the day, I would smell something and realized it was me! I carry a baggy and washcloth and deodorant with me, in my purse. I am up maybe 3-4 times a night, my nightgown is usually soaked, from sweating. I always said I would be glad when menopause started, but boy was I wrong! I would have a period maybe once every 5 months, and even though the period would be very heavy, the other symptoms would stop. I'd be glad for the period.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I have had uterus removed which is called abdominal hysterectomy and then years later I had my right ovary removed. I have had trouble with my left ovary every since. I was given a birth control shot 2 months ago I am 42 I think the shot was called premovara or something with a P. Now for the last month I have severe hot flashes all day and night. I have to change my shirt about 7 times a day. It is summer time and air conditioner is on. I had to turn down to 74 and it is still too cold. Every time I soak my shirt and my hair gets soaked I freeze so back under covers then hot again then take off covers and freeze again. I am exhausted and want to leave my home and run away from husband and dogs. I would have never left my dogs in a million years. Children are grown and doggies are my babies, but lately I would leave everything to just run away but where would I go. I had a pelvic ultrasound 2 days ago and ovary was shrunk so small she could hardly find it. 6 weeks ago it was big as softball. I really feel the shot has put me into premature or full blown menopause. I go back to OBGYN in 6 weeks for another shot. I am going to get blood test to check for menopause before I let them give me a shot. My mother had breast cancer stage 3 and is a 10 year survivor now but they have already told me no hormones and estrogen for me when I have menopause because of my mother. I am miserable and tired hot and cold. I hate it. I thought it only lasted 1 year but after reading about it lasting 5-10 I don't think I can take it that long.

Hot Flashes - Treatments Question: How do you manage your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Causes Question: What was the cause of your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Symptoms Question: What are the symptoms associated with your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Alternative Treatments Question: What types of complementary or alternative treatments have you tried to relieve hot flashes?