Patient Comments: Hot Flashes - Causes

What was the cause of your hot flashes?

Comment from: Gabriella, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I don"t call them hot flashes anymore, I describe them more like a power surge! I"m not going to allow menopause to control my daily life so I am learning more about my body and how a healthy diet and exercise can help an ongoing disruption in so many women"s lives! A brisk walk in the early morning and a swim in the evening works best for cooling my body down! I sleep much better. My eating habits have changed - I have given up caffeine and chocolate (oh how I miss them). But it has helped me immensely! Always remember to stay hydrated! I take electrolytes supplements in my water, I find when having these horrible hot flashes that my body loses a lot of vitamins and minerals.

Comment from: CDPDEE, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I have been having severe hot flashes night and day for the past several months, after not having them for more than a year. My gynecologist says they do not return after they are gone, and may be related to a thyroid issue. I read the morning paper standing in the garage a few days ago when it was only 7 degrees.

Comment from: krimorris, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I'm 48 and I'm having major hot flashes. I talked to my gynecologist and she put me on venlafaxine.

Comment from: tonya, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

i have had hotf lashes for over 5 yrs now ive tried herbal remedies and no luck i constantly sit n front of a fan.... Is there any relief out there?

Comment from: Lilly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I was eating lunch with a glass of wine and all of the suddened I got really hot, started to sweat. I am 40 and I never experienced hot flashes before.

Comment from: nan tone, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 27

I have had hot flashes for 20 years. It all started after a full hysterectomy. I thought it would get better the older I got. No such luck. I have tried everything that's out there nothing works. So I just soldier on.

Hot Flashes - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Hot Flashes.
Hot Flashes - Treatments Question: How do you manage your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Symptoms Question: What are the symptoms associated with your hot flashes?
Hot Flashes - Alternative Treatments Question: What types of complementary or alternative treatments have you tried to relieve hot flashes?