Patient Comments: Hodgkin's Disease - Diagnosis

What types of tests and exams led to a diagnosis of Hodgkin's disease?

Comment from: fightcancerwithfire, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 05

I am a 34 year old firefighter who noticed a lump on the lower part of the right side of my neck, just above the collar bone. I was referred to a surgeon who did a biopsy of a swollen lymph node. I have early stage II Hodgkin's lymphoma. One of the earliest signs I had was 6 months prior; I had itching without a rash on both of my lower legs, inner thighs and the back of my arms with some facial itching as well. I went to a doctor and a dermatologist who just gave me some general instructions on how to keep my skin clean and properly moisturized. I was also open to the idea this could have been some kind of seasonal allergy I was developing but had never gone through this before. Those symptoms diminished after July but I started to notice more fatigue for several months (September to December) leading up to the lump on my neck (late December). My treatment is 4 months of chemotherapy and the latest scan, taken 2 months in, was clear of the cancer via PET scan which is more detailed than a CT scan. I should be done after 4 months of chemotherapy, not needing any radiation, with low chances of the cancer returning.

Comment from: BE, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 20

I am a 33-year-old male. About six months ago, I noticed some lumps on my neck. I thought I had a sinus infection, something I have dealt with throughout my life. After taking antibiotic, which did nothing to help, I had a CT scan. The scan detected several infected lymph nodes in my neck and one in my chest. After a biopsy of one of the lymph nodes, it was confirmed that I have Hodgkin's lymphoma. I start chemo and radiation in two weeks. Wish me luck.

Comment from: Chris, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I was diagnosed in 2000 at the age of 35. I had a non-painful swollen area above my left breast that within two weeks grew into more of a defined lump. I was having severe night sweats, fatigue and remember just not feeling right. After CAT scan I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma in my chest wall. After a double bone marrow biopsy I did 9 months of chemotherapy and 6 weeks of radiation. No problems since.

Comment from: molly, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 11

My son was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma in 1999 when he was 11 years old. His ONLY symptom was a few painful bumps in his neck. He needed Panadol each night to help him sleep. He displayed no signs of tiredness, weight loss or anything else, though the circles under his eyes were a little darker that normal. A blood test revealed presence of the EB Virus. The doctor assumed (naturally) that he was suffering from glandular fever. Put it down to mother's intuition (never underestimate this) but I suspected it was more serious, so more tests were done and eventually the biopsy confirmed Hodgkins Lymphoma. He had 6 months of chemotherapy at RCH in Brisbane which began exactly 6 months after the first bumps in his neck appeared. He is now a healthy 23 year old.

Comment from: poohbear, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I was diagnosed in 1985 at age 18. I am female; I noticed a painless swelling at my collar bone. The doctor treated for viral infection for 6 months. finally went for second opinion biopsy was done and later was staged 3B. Went through 1 year chemo and 6 weeks radiation. I was lucky because even though I was 18 St. Jude accepted me as a patient. In 2009 had thyroid removed which also had cancer cells. Also found by St. Jude Now 26 yrs later my 21 year old son has enlarged lymph nodes, he has already taken antibiotics. He is scheduled for biopsy September 1st. I am praying there will be other reasons for nodes being enlarged. Please note for all Hodgkin survivors be aware of secondary cancers.

Comment from: Mike, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

I had a large hard lump on the left side of neck. My primary care doctor felt other smaller lymph nodes along my collarbone and referred me to a surgeon for a biopsy. The biopsy results were classic Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Hodgkin's Disease - Symptoms Question: What were the early symptoms of your Hodgkin's disease?
Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Share your Experience Question: Do you, a friend, or relative have Hodgkin's? Please share your experience.
Hodgkin's Disease - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medication, have you received for Hodgkin's disease?
Hodgkin's Disease - Diet and Exercise Question: What diet and/or exercise program do you follow to maintain your weight and good health?
Hodgkin's Disease - Follow-Up Care Question: Regular checkups are vital in the treatment of Hodgkin's lymphoma. What kinds of follow-up care do you receive?