Patient Comments: Hodgkin's Disease - Diagnosis

What types of tests and exams led to a diagnosis of Hodgkin's disease?

Comment from: wil, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

The itching and rash appeared 6 months before we found two firm lumps (the clavicle and neck). The rash was on my ankle, knee and beside my lip. Itching mostly on my legs. The itching symptoms didn't directly lead to a diagnosis, but had me watching closely as I knew something was not right. A physiotherapist found the lumps treating numbness in my arm which was possibly because of a lymph node pushing on the nerve as it went away with the first chemotherapy treatment. Eventually I got a biopsy and was staged as a 2A Hodgkin's lymphoma, nodular sclerosis type. I got that fixed with ABVD and radiation. A year later my body is itchy so I am going to see my oncologist this week.

Comment from: fightcancerwithfire, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 05

I am a 34 year old firefighter who noticed a lump on the lower part of the right side of my neck, just above the collar bone. I was referred to a surgeon who did a biopsy of a swollen lymph node. I have early stage II Hodgkin's lymphoma. One of the earliest signs I had was 6 months prior; I had itching without a rash on both of my lower legs, inner thighs and the back of my arms with some facial itching as well. I went to a doctor and a dermatologist who just gave me some general instructions on how to keep my skin clean and properly moisturized. I was also open to the idea this could have been some kind of seasonal allergy I was developing but had never gone through this before. Those symptoms diminished after July but I started to notice more fatigue for several months (September to December) leading up to the lump on my neck (late December). My treatment is 4 months of chemotherapy and the latest scan, taken 2 months in, was clear of the cancer via PET scan which is more detailed than a CT scan. I should be done after 4 months of chemotherapy, not needing any radiation, with low chances of the cancer returning.

Comment from: Marlene67ca, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I do not have any diagnosis; however, I am worried about Hodgkin's disease. About 6 to eight months ago, I started to experience itching of the scalp to the point that I was sure I had lice. The skin on my face was extremely sensitive, my hair brushing my skin drove me crazy. My doctor told me to take Benadryl regularly until it stopped. The itching calmed down and moved to my stomach just under by breast on my rib cage. I then began having hot flashes day and night (I am 48 so could be menopause). I could not sleep more than a half hour at a time between the hot flashes and itching. My abdomen began to swell. A CT scan showed I had a swollen spleen and lymph nodes. They said it was most likely viral. I also had a colonoscopy last week, and they removed a polyp that they were not worried about and everything else seemed fine. I have been taking hormones and it has helped with the hot flashes. My abdomen is still swollen and hurts when I am in a car, sitting straight or when I wear tight clothes. All my blood tests came out normal about a month ago. I have been sleeping in a Lazy Boy for months now. I Feel tired but have not lost any weight. I have started losing my appetite in the last week or so. I see my doctor soon, but worried he will not take my symptoms seriously. I have not had a cold in years, a little out of breath, but I am also overweight by 30 pounds and out of shape.

Comment from: BE, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 20

I am a 33-year-old male. About six months ago, I noticed some lumps on my neck. I thought I had a sinus infection, something I have dealt with throughout my life. After taking antibiotic, which did nothing to help, I had a CT scan. The scan detected several infected lymph nodes in my neck and one in my chest. After a biopsy of one of the lymph nodes, it was confirmed that I have Hodgkin's lymphoma. I start chemo and radiation in two weeks. Wish me luck.

Hodgkin's Disease - Symptoms Question: What were the early symptoms of your Hodgkin's disease?
Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Share your Experience Question: Do you, a friend, or relative have Hodgkin's? Please share your experience.
Hodgkin's Disease - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medication, have you received for Hodgkin's disease?
Hodgkin's Disease - Diet and Exercise Question: What diet and/or exercise program do you follow to maintain your weight and good health?
Hodgkin's Disease - Follow-Up Care Question: Regular checkups are vital in the treatment of Hodgkin's lymphoma. What kinds of follow-up care do you receive?