Patient Comments: Hodgkin's Disease - Diagnosis

What types of tests and exams led to a diagnosis of Hodgkin's disease?

Comment from: BE, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 20

I am a 33-year-old male. About six months ago, I noticed some lumps on my neck. I thought I had a sinus infection, something I have dealt with throughout my life. After taking antibiotic, which did nothing to help, I had a CT scan. The scan detected several infected lymph nodes in my neck and one in my chest. After a biopsy of one of the lymph nodes, it was confirmed that I have Hodgkin's lymphoma. I start chemo and radiation in two weeks. Wish me luck.

Comment from: Chris, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I was diagnosed in 2000 at the age of 35. I had a non-painful swollen area above my left breast that within two weeks grew into more of a defined lump. I was having severe night sweats, fatigue and remember just not feeling right. After CAT scan I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma in my chest wall. After a double bone marrow biopsy I did 9 months of chemotherapy and 6 weeks of radiation. No problems since.

Comment from: molly, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 11

My son was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma in 1999 when he was 11 years old. His ONLY symptom was a few painful bumps in his neck. He needed Panadol each night to help him sleep. He displayed no signs of tiredness, weight loss or anything else, though the circles under his eyes were a little darker that normal. A blood test revealed presence of the EB Virus. The doctor assumed (naturally) that he was suffering from glandular fever. Put it down to mother's intuition (never underestimate this) but I suspected it was more serious, so more tests were done and eventually the biopsy confirmed Hodgkins Lymphoma. He had 6 months of chemotherapy at RCH in Brisbane which began exactly 6 months after the first bumps in his neck appeared. He is now a healthy 23 year old.

Comment from: poohbear, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I was diagnosed in 1985 at age 18. I am female; I noticed a painless swelling at my collar bone. The doctor treated for viral infection for 6 months. finally went for second opinion biopsy was done and later was staged 3B. Went through 1 year chemo and 6 weeks radiation. I was lucky because even though I was 18 St. Jude accepted me as a patient. In 2009 had thyroid removed which also had cancer cells. Also found by St. Jude Now 26 yrs later my 21 year old son has enlarged lymph nodes, he has already taken antibiotics. He is scheduled for biopsy September 1st. I am praying there will be other reasons for nodes being enlarged. Please note for all Hodgkin survivors be aware of secondary cancers.

Comment from: boris, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I am currently going through chemo (ABVD) for stage II Hodgkin's Lymphoma. My symptoms started as extreme itching and little bumps on my skin. I saw 6 dermatologists who just kept giving me creams for the itching. This lasted for close to a year. I then developed severe lower back pain and my stomach started to protrude, as if I were pregnant, which I wasn't. It was only after this last symptom that I was finally given a CT scan and told that I had cancer.

Comment from: Mike, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

I had a large hard lump on the left side of neck. My primary care doctor felt other smaller lymph nodes along my collarbone and referred me to a surgeon for a biopsy. The biopsy results were classic Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Comment from: chelle, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 05

My son was 10 years old when he was wrestling around and mentioned that his neck hurt. We could feel a huge lump (6 inches long by 3 inches wide) on the left side of his neck. We took him to the doctor who told me it was a growth. He had a biopsy and they called the next day and said it was Hodgkin's disease. He went for 7 months of chemotherapy and 12 weeks of radiation. He's been cacner-free for 18 months now!

Hodgkin's Disease - Symptoms Question: What were the early symptoms of your Hodgkin's disease?
Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Share your Experience Question: Do you, a friend, or relative have Hodgkin's? Please share your experience.
Hodgkin's Disease - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medication, have you received for Hodgkin's disease?
Hodgkin's Disease - Diet and Exercise Question: What diet and/or exercise program do you follow to maintain your weight and good health?
Hodgkin's Disease - Follow-Up Care Question: Regular checkups are vital in the treatment of Hodgkin's lymphoma. What kinds of follow-up care do you receive?