Patient Comments: Hodgkin's Disease - Diagnosis

What types of tests and exams led to a diagnosis of Hodgkin's disease?

Comment from: Chuck77, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 16

I had been dealing with extreme fatigue for about 6 months. I was having real bad chest pains and went to the E.R. thinking that I was having a heart attack. They found that I had fluid built up around my heart and also noticed some enlarged lymph nodes in my neck/collarbone area. I had surgery to remove the fluid from my heart and they did a Biopsy also which came back positive for Hodgkins Lymphoma.

Comment from: 201.90, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I thought I had bronchitis for a few months with uncontrolled coughing and a constant pressure on my chest. After antibiotics didn't help, a chest x-ray was given and that's when they found the tumors. I had a swollen lymph gland behind my collar bone and night sweats. I was diagnosed with stage 3b HL in December. 6 months of AVBD took away mostly everything, but now I have to get a stem cell transplant and higher dose chemo because they're not responding to treatment.

Comment from: 4everthankful, 55-64 Female Published: February 14

In 1992, I had a persistent cough for over 3 months and eventually became extremely fatigued and itchy. Every now and then I would run a low-grade fever. Doctors prescribed antibiotics and cough medicine which were useless. Then I became short of breath. My husband took me to the ER at the local hospital here X-ray revealed a large mass in my chest. After CT-scan, biopsy and blood tests. I was diagnosed with stage IIB HL. I was treated with ABVD for 6 months followed by radiation. I have been in remission almost 20 years.

Hodgkin's Disease - Symptoms Question: What were the early symptoms of your Hodgkin's disease?
Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Share your Experience Question: Do you, a friend, or relative have Hodgkin's? Please share your experience.
Hodgkin's Disease - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medication, have you received for Hodgkin's disease?
Hodgkin's Disease - Diet and Exercise Question: What diet and/or exercise program do you follow to maintain your weight and good health?
Hodgkin's Disease - Follow-Up Care Question: Regular checkups are vital in the treatment of Hodgkin's lymphoma. What kinds of follow-up care do you receive?