Patient Comments: Hodgkin's Disease - Symptoms

What were the early symptoms of your Hodgkin's disease?

Comment from: Irene R., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

In 1981, I first experienced extreme daily tiredness. I thought it was just due to overworking. I then went on to experience a toothache pain in my chest that mainly occurred in bed at night. I also began to notice pain in my neck and chest immediately after drinking half a glass of alcohol. I went back and forth to my general practitioner (GP) for two and a half years with these symptoms, and on my final visit, the GP examined my glands and discovered a large lump above my collarbone. I was sent for a series of X-rays and a biopsy whereupon I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease, stage IIB. I subsequently went for a laparotomy and was told I also had a mass between my heart and my lung.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Disease stage 4 and I did some research. I realize I had had symptoms for over a year. I thought my asthma was getting worse, itchy skin ,sore skin under armpits, tiredness, night sweats, dull ache in my lower back-All symptoms that could be put down to other things, which is so frightening.

Published: July 21

I had a bad cough that lasted for more than a month and a bump on the left side of my chest shaped like a long, low speed bump, over my breast and below my collar bone. Antibiotics finally cured the cough, but not the lump. It itched constantly. With as little as 1/2 a glass of alcohol, the itch intensified on the lump, while internally, it ached or throbbed. Blood tests and chest X-rays were normal. My MRI found the abnormality, and a CT scan confirmed it. The biopsy diagnosed Hodgkin's lymphoma - stage 2.

Published: June 27

Just an overnight itch and no fever at all. Although I experience those sweating, lethargic condition for several weeks and loss of appetite I thought it's only a normal.

Published: June 16

I had swollen lymph nodes that were painless at first and then became very painful to the point I felt weighed down. I also had night sweats and ran fevers.

Published: June 12

Itchy rash x 4 years, heavy sweating and drenching night sweats, left pleural effusion (blood tinged) and peritoneal effusion also blood tinged. Edema in legs.

Published: June 09

The first time I had Hodgkin's lymphoma I had a swelling in my neck in the lymph glands. The second time it occurred I had night sweats, loss of appetite and was incredibly tired, needing a sleep in the middle of the day. The third time I had night sweats, swollen tummy as it had taken over my spleen, weight loss, very tired and in quite a bit of pain.

Comment from: Rosalie, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: March 27

My mother recently died due to Hodgkin's disease. Her symptoms were two hour nose bleeds, fever, itching, tender skin, fatigue, and constant pain. I hope some day that there would be a cure. It was a sudden death. The doctor did not let her know why she was sick she also had lots of water retention. Thanks for giving me a chance to let others know it could be very sudden. It was very sudden for my mother she was 88 yrs old and very spunky till the day I took her for a visit to the doctor and he told us to admit her to the hospital where she was diagnosed. Thank God we were able to bring her home where she died. I had no choice, but to let her go. I hope someday I will know that they find a cure.

Hodgkin's Disease - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests and exams led to a diagnosis of Hodgkin's disease?
Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Share your Experience Question: Do you, a friend, or relative have Hodgkin's? Please share your experience.
Hodgkin's Disease - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medication, have you received for Hodgkin's disease?
Hodgkin's Disease - Diet and Exercise Question: What diet and/or exercise program do you follow to maintain your weight and good health?
Hodgkin's Disease - Follow-Up Care Question: Regular checkups are vital in the treatment of Hodgkin's lymphoma. What kinds of follow-up care do you receive?