Patient Comments: Hodgkin's Disease - Symptoms

What were the early symptoms of your Hodgkin's disease?

Comment from: Grizz., 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 25

On May 17 2011 I was diagnosed with stage 3 Bulk Hodgkin Lymphoma.I received chemotherapy (ABVD) for 6 month every other week. Im glad to say that's all I needed to beat this demon. The side effects were horrible but I'm alive today. On May 17th 2012 "still weak and recovering". I treated myself to a cruise to celebrate a second chance at life! Now June of 2013 I cherish every day. Best of luck to all who fight this cancer. My prayers are with you.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 09

I was diagnosed in 2004 at age 34. My only symptom was a lump just above my collar bone on my left side. After a couple of weeks when it didn't go away, I visited a health clinic. They completed blood tests and ordered a chest X-ray looking either for an infection or possibly lung cancer. No definitive results came back and I was sent for a biopsy that clearly indicated Hodgkin's. I went through six months of ABVD chemo and have been cancer-free since.

Comment from: Varun, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 08

My Hodgkin's lymphoma started with a bad cough and breathing trouble. At first, I didn't take it seriously. I thought it was some allergies. Then, after some weeks of vomiting, I decided to go to the doctor. He ran several tests including a biopsy, which confirmed it was Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma in September of 2008. I had a constant severe backache, and I was tried all the time. I assumed it was because I was working a lot of hours. I noticed one day that I had a lump on the left side of my neck. I didn't think much of it. I just thought I may have pulled a muscle. I ended up having a severe back ache about a week after finding the lump. The back ache was so bad; it felt as if it was crushing my lungs, and I couldn't breathe. I went to the hospital for my back and decided to ask about the lump while I was there.

Comment from: Irene R., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

In 1981, I first experienced extreme daily tiredness. I thought it was just due to overworking. I then went on to experience a toothache pain in my chest that mainly occurred in bed at night. I also began to notice pain in my neck and chest immediately after drinking half a glass of alcohol. I went back and forth to my general practitioner (GP) for two and a half years with these symptoms, and on my final visit, the GP examined my glands and discovered a large lump above my collarbone. I was sent for a series of X-rays and a biopsy whereupon I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease, stage IIB. I subsequently went for a laparotomy and was told I also had a mass between my heart and my lung.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Disease stage 4 and I did some research. I realize I had had symptoms for over a year. I thought my asthma was getting worse, itchy skin ,sore skin under armpits, tiredness, night sweats, dull ache in my lower back-All symptoms that could be put down to other things, which is so frightening.

Published: July 21

I had a bad cough that lasted for more than a month and a bump on the left side of my chest shaped like a long, low speed bump, over my breast and below my collar bone. Antibiotics finally cured the cough, but not the lump. It itched constantly. With as little as 1/2 a glass of alcohol, the itch intensified on the lump, while internally, it ached or throbbed. Blood tests and chest X-rays were normal. My MRI found the abnormality, and a CT scan confirmed it. The biopsy diagnosed Hodgkin's lymphoma - stage 2.

Published: June 27

Just an overnight itch and no fever at all. Although I experience those sweating, lethargic condition for several weeks and loss of appetite I thought it's only a normal.

Hodgkin's Disease - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests and exams led to a diagnosis of Hodgkin's disease?
Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Share your Experience Question: Do you, a friend, or relative have Hodgkin's? Please share your experience.
Hodgkin's Disease - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medication, have you received for Hodgkin's disease?
Hodgkin's Disease - Diet and Exercise Question: What diet and/or exercise program do you follow to maintain your weight and good health?
Hodgkin's Disease - Follow-Up Care Question: Regular checkups are vital in the treatment of Hodgkin's lymphoma. What kinds of follow-up care do you receive?