Patient Comments: Hodgkin's Disease - Symptoms

What were the early symptoms of your Hodgkin's disease?

Comment from: mozza, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I had Hodgkin's 28 years ago and had all the treatments. The pain was in my neck, armpits, glands, and down the front of my chest. After 10 years I was given all clear, but recently I've been having pains in back just below lungs. My water sample and blood count was all fine but I've still got theses pains.

Comment from: Kelly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I didn't feel any different than normal to be honest. No weight loss, no night sweats, nothing but this bump where your leg meets the rest of your body. I saw 9 different doctors/specialists over it. It just kept growing the whole time. It hurt, but I think it was because it was rubbing on my leg. This thing went from the inside of my leg all the way around to my hip. If you can imagine that! The surgeon who was going to do the biopsy didn't think it was cancer, he actually told me that if he had to bet on it, he'd bet against it. A hematologist wanted to see it and when he did, he got right on the phone with the surgeon and said you might want to do this biopsy sooner than later. The surgeon said no. It can wait. I didn't have any typical symptoms of cancer. By the time things were said and done though, it was state 2 Hodgkin's. This was just last year (2011-2012) and after the 6 months of abvd, I guess I'm good. I've had one check up since anyhow :) I did ask my oncologist one day, because my white blood cell count had been going higher and higher for years, if that had a little something, something to do with my diagnosis and he did say yes. The oncologist was wonderful, bless his heart, he's not much older than me (I'm 36) and I can't imagine what it's gotta be like to have to look someone in the face and tell them-this may very well take your life-. They were very aggressive with the chemo. I did not radiation however; I actually did one more dose of chemo instead. (I do not have any children) Might have been for a study or something, they told me they've never done it before for my situation. I watched my Father die from lung cancer when he was 51. (I was 26) In those ten years, they sure have changed things. I wonder sometimes if what did't get me though the mess was that one day-we were out on the water and I got all teary eyed because I wondered if I would get to see these very same things the following summer or not. Right then and there I decided there wasn't much I could do about it either way and said "alright big guy, the ball is now in your court". Some things I guess you just have to hand over. Bless you all and may you all (myself included) live long, happy lives!

Comment from: Bridget, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

Happy to say I was finally diagnosed Stage 2 Hodgkin's Lymphoma! It took a while. The onset of my symptoms began with pain in my right shoulder several minutes after having any kind of alcoholic beverage. This lasted for several months. Once the shoulder pain resolved, I then began to experience INTENSE itching of the skin, this started 2 years ago. I also lost weight and experienced MANY papules on my chest and back. I saw a dermatologist and described my symptoms, she ordered a chest x-ray where a large mass was found in my chest. I'm currently in treatment (ABVD and radiation) but I'm glad to know I'm not crazy and something was wrong with me. Excited about treatment so I can get back to being 100%!

Comment from: Relief, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

When I was 16 years old, I started getting night sweats every day, and they gradually grew more powerful. I also started getting bad fevers, and I was losing a lot of weight, so I went to the doctor. He did blood tests on me, and he never found anything. So, he wanted to do a CT test. After that, he called me saying I had to come back immediately because they found something. So, I went back, and he told me I had cancer, but that he didn't know which one. He referred me to a cancer specialist, and they did many testes and biopsies. They told me I had Hodgkin's lymphoma. I had three weeks of chemo and one month of radiation. Now, I'm cancer-free.

Published: July 28

I first experienced a dull kind of pain on my left underarm and, soon after that, persistent flu-like symptoms (low grade fever, fatigue, coughing). I waited for a couple of weeks and as the fever wasn't going away, I visited my doctor. He gave me a series of blood tests in which everything looked fine except for the level of white bloods, which was higher than normal. The doctor suspected some sort of infection and repeated the tests over the course of three months. As the tests came back with virtually the same results, he referred me to the local hospital. By the time I went to the hospital for examination, I had a swollen lymph node just above my collarbone on the left side. The relatively frequent symptom of itchiness was also present at the time. A needle biopsy confirmed that I had lymphoma (although it was mistakenly identified as follicular Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma). A surgical biopsy about two weeks later established that I had Hodgkin's lymphoma, stage IIB.

Hodgkin's Disease - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests and exams led to a diagnosis of Hodgkin's disease?
Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Share your Experience Question: Do you, a friend, or relative have Hodgkin's? Please share your experience.
Hodgkin's Disease - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medication, have you received for Hodgkin's disease?
Hodgkin's Disease - Diet and Exercise Question: What diet and/or exercise program do you follow to maintain your weight and good health?
Hodgkin's Disease - Follow-Up Care Question: Regular checkups are vital in the treatment of Hodgkin's lymphoma. What kinds of follow-up care do you receive?