Patient Comments: Hodgkin's Disease - Symptoms

What were the early symptoms of your Hodgkin's disease?

Comment from: Bridget, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

Happy to say I was finally diagnosed Stage 2 Hodgkin's Lymphoma! It took a while. The onset of my symptoms began with pain in my right shoulder several minutes after having any kind of alcoholic beverage. This lasted for several months. Once the shoulder pain resolved, I then began to experience INTENSE itching of the skin, this started 2 years ago. I also lost weight and experienced MANY papules on my chest and back. I saw a dermatologist and described my symptoms, she ordered a chest x-ray where a large mass was found in my chest. I'm currently in treatment (ABVD and radiation) but I'm glad to know I'm not crazy and something was wrong with me. Excited about treatment so I can get back to being 100%!

Comment from: Grizz., 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 25

On May 17 2011 I was diagnosed with stage 3 Bulk Hodgkin Lymphoma.I received chemotherapy (ABVD) for 6 month every other week. Im glad to say that's all I needed to beat this demon. The side effects were horrible but I'm alive today. On May 17th 2012 "still weak and recovering". I treated myself to a cruise to celebrate a second chance at life! Now June of 2013 I cherish every day. Best of luck to all who fight this cancer. My prayers are with you.

Comment from: Relief, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

When I was 16 years old, I started getting night sweats every day, and they gradually grew more powerful. I also started getting bad fevers, and I was losing a lot of weight, so I went to the doctor. He did blood tests on me, and he never found anything. So, he wanted to do a CT test. After that, he called me saying I had to come back immediately because they found something. So, I went back, and he told me I had cancer, but that he didn't know which one. He referred me to a cancer specialist, and they did many testes and biopsies. They told me I had Hodgkin's lymphoma. I had three weeks of chemo and one month of radiation. Now, I'm cancer-free.

Published: July 28

I first experienced a dull kind of pain on my left underarm and, soon after that, persistent flu-like symptoms (low grade fever, fatigue, coughing). I waited for a couple of weeks and as the fever wasn't going away, I visited my doctor. He gave me a series of blood tests in which everything looked fine except for the level of white bloods, which was higher than normal. The doctor suspected some sort of infection and repeated the tests over the course of three months. As the tests came back with virtually the same results, he referred me to the local hospital. By the time I went to the hospital for examination, I had a swollen lymph node just above my collarbone on the left side. The relatively frequent symptom of itchiness was also present at the time. A needle biopsy confirmed that I had lymphoma (although it was mistakenly identified as follicular Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma). A surgical biopsy about two weeks later established that I had Hodgkin's lymphoma, stage IIB.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 09

I was diagnosed in 2004 at age 34. My only symptom was a lump just above my collar bone on my left side. After a couple of weeks when it didn't go away, I visited a health clinic. They completed blood tests and ordered a chest X-ray looking either for an infection or possibly lung cancer. No definitive results came back and I was sent for a biopsy that clearly indicated Hodgkin's. I went through six months of ABVD chemo and have been cancer-free since.

Comment from: Varun, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 08

My Hodgkin's lymphoma started with a bad cough and breathing trouble. At first, I didn't take it seriously. I thought it was some allergies. Then, after some weeks of vomiting, I decided to go to the doctor. He ran several tests including a biopsy, which confirmed it was Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma in September of 2008. I had a constant severe backache, and I was tried all the time. I assumed it was because I was working a lot of hours. I noticed one day that I had a lump on the left side of my neck. I didn't think much of it. I just thought I may have pulled a muscle. I ended up having a severe back ache about a week after finding the lump. The back ache was so bad; it felt as if it was crushing my lungs, and I couldn't breathe. I went to the hospital for my back and decided to ask about the lump while I was there.

Hodgkin's Disease - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests and exams led to a diagnosis of Hodgkin's disease?
Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Share your Experience Question: Do you, a friend, or relative have Hodgkin's? Please share your experience.
Hodgkin's Disease - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medication, have you received for Hodgkin's disease?
Hodgkin's Disease - Diet and Exercise Question: What diet and/or exercise program do you follow to maintain your weight and good health?
Hodgkin's Disease - Follow-Up Care Question: Regular checkups are vital in the treatment of Hodgkin's lymphoma. What kinds of follow-up care do you receive?