Patient Comments: Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Share your Experience

Do you, a friend, or relative have Hodgkin's? Please share your experience.

Comment from: Nigel, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

My wife had Hodgkin's Lymphoma when she was 16, I was 17 then. She had her spleen removed and had 6 months of intense radiotherapy from nose to knees. I was then diagnosed with Hodgkin's 10 years later, my spleen was removed and I too had 6 months radiotherapy, had a recurrence after 5 years on, so was given 6 months chemotherapy. I am now 55 years old, and we are both alive and well with three lovely children; I mention them because it was said that we would probably not be able to have children due to our past treatment. It has not been plain sailing as both have had medical issues due to the radiotherapy treatment and both ending up with hormone replacement problems after treatment, but very happy and grateful for our present extended lives.

Comment from: jackie, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 18

My daughter is currently being treated for Hodgkin's with BEACOPP escalated dose every 3 weeks for 6 cycles then PET scan to hopefully avoid radiation. After 2 cycles she was PET negative so we are very excited that the chemotherapy is working. It's hard to see such a beautiful young girl manage her life while on this treatment, it's a long journey. We are relieved to know Hodgkin's disease is treatable and curable but it's very hard and before the treatment it was so devastating for us to watch her visit doctor after doctor to finally be told she has cancer, what a shock, so glad we are now on the road to recovery.

Comment from: danny, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 25

diagnosed hodgkins in 1972, them doctor said changed diagnosis to "we dont know". fast forward 37 years, hodgkins symptoms reappear, this time stage 3b. get 20 chemos "abvd" on 16th treatment chemo drug bleomycin attacked lungs. I now have oxygen bottle 24 hours a day. alive but wonder if treatments go too long just to reassure doctors????

Comment from: gazza, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

I am 49 years old and had multiple lumps on both sides of my neck. I had a biopsy done in September of 2012, which came back as Hodgkin's lymphoma. I had six months of chemotherapy, and then had a PET scan after that. I have two lymph nodes in my chest, so I had 20 treatments of radiotherapy over four weeks. I'm not feeling very confident, as my radiologist said my cure rate has gone down from 95% to 10 to 20% chance of the radiotherapy curing me. I'd like to know if anyone has lived to tell his or her story about being cured.

Hodgkin's Disease - Symptoms Question: What were the early symptoms of your Hodgkin's disease?
Hodgkin's Disease - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests and exams led to a diagnosis of Hodgkin's disease?
Hodgkin's Disease - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medication, have you received for Hodgkin's disease?
Hodgkin's Disease - Diet and Exercise Question: What diet and/or exercise program do you follow to maintain your weight and good health?
Hodgkin's Disease - Follow-Up Care Question: Regular checkups are vital in the treatment of Hodgkin's lymphoma. What kinds of follow-up care do you receive?