Patient Comments: Hoarseness - Experience

Please describe your experience with hoarseness?

Comment from: Frustrated, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 05

My husband has hoarseness of voice for the past 3 years. He has seen at least 6 ENT specialists all giving differing diagnoses and treatment from GERD, spastic dysphonia, postnasal drip with phlegm, sulcus vocalis, ageing and gap in vocal cord (latest). He had speech therapy, Botox injections, antibiotics, phlegm and Chinese medicine, myasthenia gravis medicine (from a physician friend). He is now mistaken for a woman on the phone. He is frustrated and depressed that often we do not understand what he says. I really do not know what to do next.

Comment from: cliver, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 20

I was dusting and cleaning up my house which was closed for the last 2 years. The amount of dust that I inhaled has given me a cough as well as throat pain and I have to drink large amounts of water to keep it wet. This is my condition over the last 2 weeks.

Comment from: naz, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

Since 15 years I have been facing problem in speaking because of hoarseness. As I start the sentence it speeds up my heartbeat. In the middle of the speech my voice is fluctuating.

Comment from: ziel, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 27

My mom is now suffering from hoarseness and it's kind of hard for her to speak even if she wants to. She's always pushing herself to cough but then the phlegm won't go out, so as a result, she had a raspy voice that makes me worry.

Hoarseness - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your hoarseness? Please describe your experience.
Hoarseness - Treatments Question: Please share treatments, including home remedies, that have been effective when you lose your voice.
Hoarseness - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were the signs and symptoms you experienced with hoarseness?