Patient Comments: Hoarseness - Causes

If known, what was the cause of your hoarseness? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: maria, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

Two years ago in 2013 when Seahawks won the Super Bowl, my group of friends went to celebrate after the game and began our own little marching and yelling and screaming 'Sea Hawks'! I lost my voice ever since, and my voice never came back. My voice right now is very hoarse, husky, and raspy. When I tried to sing, when it is a little high note there is no voice. When I laugh it is different. My voice sounds like I'm a man and when I'm tired oh man, it gets worse. It has been over 2 1/2 years.

Comment from: keleee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I have suffered with hoarseness for years. An ENT discovered by looking down my throat with a fiber optic camera that I have vocal cord polyps. He surgically removed one but two grew back! Now he just keeps an eye on them to make sure there is no sign of cancer. The polyps keep the vocal cords from touching so I can strain my voice by whispering! Also coughing can strain my voice.

Comment from: CyndiH, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I've developed what I believe is an allergy to something in fabric (I'm a quilter). After spending more than an hour in my sewing room or in my RV (recreational vehicle) working with fabric, I get hoarse. It's getting worse; I think I'm going to have to cut back on the time I spend quilting and seek medical help to verify what it is in the fabric that's causing my hoarseness.

Comment from: Mr. D-jay, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 19

Well, I am a disc jockey/singer, and whenever I go on stage to sing, after two songs, my voice starts getting hoarse really fast. I don't drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes any more for over seven years now. I do drink a lot of cold drinks. I don't believe it is anything really serious. However, I need to know what kind of over the counter medicine or remedies I can take to help my voice on stage.

Comment from: JChilds, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I suffered from chronic hoarseness after I began teaching, but it would clear mid-year. After having mercury debris settle in my throat following a filling replacement I've been hoarse daily ever since.

Comment from: helper, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 22

I treat my hoarseness with no talking, steam, anti-inflammatory medicines like Motrin three times a day, warm salt water gargles, tea with honey, fresh ginger root and lemon.

Comment from: margaux, 19-24 (Patient) Published: July 28

I'm working at a call center and I'm singing too, maybe I over use my voice that's why it causes hoarseness. It's been 8 months since I suffer from this kind of hoarseness in my voice, I can't sing a lot, and I can't use it well at my work. I'm too worried because I don't know how to get back my normal voice.

Comment from: lndwelch, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

While vacationing I did a lot of snorkeling. After day one I developed a small mouth ulcer. Four days later I spent the whole day snorkeling, including a night snorkel with manta rays during which I inhaled a lot of salt water. That night my mouth was really sore and I had a sore throat, as well as couldn"t talk. The next day my mouth was covered in mouth ulcers - this was February 15th. It wasn"t getting better so on February 19th I saw a doctor who prescribed numbing medicine. The sore throat went away first - then the mouth sores finally cleared up the beginning of this week (Feb 24). The loss of voice and hoarseness are still with me and almost feels like it"s getting worse. Other than no voice I feel fine, no fever or soreness. I do have to clear my throat a lot because of a constant tickle.

Hoarseness - Treatments Question: Please share treatments, including home remedies, that have been effective when you lose your voice.
Hoarseness - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hoarseness?
Hoarseness - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were the signs and symptoms you experienced with hoarseness?