Patient Comments: Hoarseness - Causes

If known, what was the cause of your hoarseness? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: keleee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I have suffered with hoarseness for years. An ENT discovered by looking down my throat with a fiber optic camera that I have vocal cord polyps. He surgically removed one but two grew back! Now he just keeps an eye on them to make sure there is no sign of cancer. The polyps keep the vocal cords from touching so I can strain my voice by whispering! Also coughing can strain my voice.

Comment from: CyndiH, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I've developed what I believe is an allergy to something in fabric (I'm a quilter). After spending more than an hour in my sewing room or in my RV (recreational vehicle) working with fabric, I get hoarse. It's getting worse; I think I'm going to have to cut back on the time I spend quilting and seek medical help to verify what it is in the fabric that's causing my hoarseness.

Comment from: Mr. D-jay, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 19

Well, I am a disc jockey/singer, and whenever I go on stage to sing, after two songs, my voice starts getting hoarse really fast. I don't drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes any more for over seven years now. I do drink a lot of cold drinks. I don't believe it is anything really serious. However, I need to know what kind of over the counter medicine or remedies I can take to help my voice on stage.

Comment from: JChilds, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I suffered from chronic hoarseness after I began teaching, but it would clear mid-year. After having mercury debris settle in my throat following a filling replacement I've been hoarse daily ever since.

Comment from: margaux, 19-24 (Patient) Published: July 28

I'm working at a call center and I'm singing too, maybe I over use my voice that's why it causes hoarseness. It's been 8 months since I suffer from this kind of hoarseness in my voice, I can't sing a lot, and I can't use it well at my work. I'm too worried because I don't know how to get back my normal voice.

Comment from: verji, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I am facing issues in my voice since 1 year. I'm not sure why my voice quality is decreasing and why it seems like my voice is not like before. People think I'm having throat infection, but it's been 1 year and I'm unable to diagnose what it is and how to treat it.

Comment from: lndwelch, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

While vacationing I did a lot of snorkeling. After day one I developed a small mouth ulcer. Four days later I spent the whole day snorkeling, including a night snorkel with manta rays during which I inhaled a lot of salt water. That night my mouth was really sore and I had a sore throat, as well as couldn"t talk. The next day my mouth was covered in mouth ulcers - this was February 15th. It wasn"t getting better so on February 19th I saw a doctor who prescribed numbing medicine. The sore throat went away first - then the mouth sores finally cleared up the beginning of this week (Feb 24). The loss of voice and hoarseness are still with me and almost feels like it"s getting worse. Other than no voice I feel fine, no fever or soreness. I do have to clear my throat a lot because of a constant tickle.

Comment from: Carol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had the flu, the first few days I hardly coughed then started coughing a lot, the episodes of coughing were sometimes very painful to my throat. I started getting hoarse and it kept getting worse until I couldn't talk at all. I think when I coughed so hard, I've injured my vocal chords.

Hoarseness - Treatments Question: Please share treatments, including home remedies, that have been effective when you lose your voice.
Hoarseness - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hoarseness?
Hoarseness - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were the signs and symptoms you experienced with hoarseness?