Patient Comments: Hoarseness - Causes

If known, what was the cause of your hoarseness? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: lndwelch, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

While vacationing I did a lot of snorkeling. After day one I developed a small mouth ulcer. Four days later I spent the whole day snorkeling, including a night snorkel with manta rays during which I inhaled a lot of salt water. That night my mouth was really sore and I had a sore throat, as well as couldn"t talk. The next day my mouth was covered in mouth ulcers - this was February 15th. It wasn"t getting better so on February 19th I saw a doctor who prescribed numbing medicine. The sore throat went away first - then the mouth sores finally cleared up the beginning of this week (Feb 24). The loss of voice and hoarseness are still with me and almost feels like it"s getting worse. Other than no voice I feel fine, no fever or soreness. I do have to clear my throat a lot because of a constant tickle.

Comment from: Carol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had the flu, the first few days I hardly coughed then started coughing a lot, the episodes of coughing were sometimes very painful to my throat. I started getting hoarse and it kept getting worse until I couldn't talk at all. I think when I coughed so hard, I've injured my vocal chords.

Comment from: expecting a miracle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

It's been over 10 years since I'm suffering with this hoarse voice. I know this is because of misuse of my vocal cords in an attempt to sing. I've been to several ENT specialists, allergists and herbalists and tried all kinds of remedies from suggestions from concerned people all over the world, without any relief.

Comment from: edward, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 04

I have persistent laryngitis with hoarseness.

Comment from: Billo, 65-74 (Patient) Published: December 06

Radiation treatment to lung causing scar tissue was the cause of my hoarseness.

Comment from: Bunnie, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 05

I had a bad sinus infection, ears, throat and sinus pressure points. It was all in my head and everything felt as if it was on fire. Everything in my throat was red and swollen. It left me hoarse, sometimes my voice is o.k. in the morning and later on the hoarseness is back. Nothing hurts and infection is gone.

Comment from: chuck, 75 or over Male Published: April 08

laryngitis developed from overuse of voice from rehersing for music show. Need quick temp fix to resolve hoarseness for performance tomorrow night.

Hoarseness - Treatments Question: Please share treatments, including home remedies, that have been effective when you lose your voice.
Hoarseness - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hoarseness?
Hoarseness - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were the signs and symptoms you experienced with hoarseness?