Patient Comments: Hoarseness - Causes

If known, what was the cause of your hoarseness? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: BillA, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 13

Wow, I couldn't believe it, my voice got changed from drinking tonic water which contains quinine. After about half an hour consuming 2 glasses of tonic water, the symptom started and then subsided about an hour later. It's perfectly repeatable, but I think I am done drinking large amounts of tonic.

Comment from: Stephen R, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 17

The cause of my hoarseness is laryngopharyngeal reflux due to slightly herniated esophageal muscle. Elevated head of bed, generic of Gaviscon when rarely needed, more ginger in diet, Increased hydration, and reduced stress all help.

Comment from: maria, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

Two years ago in 2013 when Seahawks won the Super Bowl, my group of friends went to celebrate after the game and began our own little marching and yelling and screaming 'Sea Hawks'! I lost my voice ever since, and my voice never came back. My voice right now is very hoarse, husky, and raspy. When I tried to sing, when it is a little high note there is no voice. When I laugh it is different. My voice sounds like I'm a man and when I'm tired oh man, it gets worse. It has been over 2 1/2 years.

Comment from: keleee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I have suffered with hoarseness for years. An ENT discovered by looking down my throat with a fiber optic camera that I have vocal cord polyps. He surgically removed one but two grew back! Now he just keeps an eye on them to make sure there is no sign of cancer. The polyps keep the vocal cords from touching so I can strain my voice by whispering! Also coughing can strain my voice.

Comment from: CyndiH, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I've developed what I believe is an allergy to something in fabric (I'm a quilter). After spending more than an hour in my sewing room or in my RV (recreational vehicle) working with fabric, I get hoarse. It's getting worse; I think I'm going to have to cut back on the time I spend quilting and seek medical help to verify what it is in the fabric that's causing my hoarseness.

Comment from: Agnes, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

While speaking for 2 to 3 min or so my voice changes and gets hoarse, in public mainly. I wonder if it is due to fear or is health related.

Comment from: helper, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 22

I treat my hoarseness with no talking, steam, anti-inflammatory medicines like Motrin three times a day, warm salt water gargles, tea with honey, fresh ginger root and lemon.

Comment from: Mr. D-jay, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 19

Well, I am a disc jockey/singer, and whenever I go on stage to sing, after two songs, my voice starts getting hoarse really fast. I don't drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes any more for over seven years now. I do drink a lot of cold drinks. I don't believe it is anything really serious. However, I need to know what kind of over the counter medicine or remedies I can take to help my voice on stage.

Hoarseness - Treatments Question: Please share treatments, including home remedies, that have been effective when you lose your voice.
Hoarseness - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hoarseness?
Hoarseness - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were the signs and symptoms you experienced with hoarseness?