- Heartburn Slideshow: Foods to Eat, Foods to Avoid
- Digestive Myths Slideshow: Common Misconceptions
- GERD Quiz: Test Your Digestive Diseases IQ
- Patient Comments: Hoarseness - Causes
- Patient Comments: Hoarseness - Treatments
- Patient Comments: Hoarseness - Experience
- Find a local Ear, Nose, & Throat Doctor in your town
Quick GuideOral Health: Dry Mouth Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment
How is hoarseness prevented?
Hoarseness can be prevented in some instances, for example:
- Avoid situations that require excessive strenuous voice use, and if a person needs to project their voice, use a microphone if possible.
- Voice therapists or singing teachers may be helpful in certain cases to assist individuals with vocal training and voice modification.
- Smoking cessation can prevent hoarseness or the development of cancer of the larynx.
- Individuals with hoarseness caused by gastroesophageal reflux (GERD) can benefit from medications and dietary modification (such as avoiding alcohol, caffeine, and spicy foods).
Medically reviewed by Martin E Zipser, MD; American Board of Surgery
MedscapeReference.com. Acute Laryngitis Treatment and Management.