Patient Comments: Hives - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hives.

Comment from: Havefaithingod, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 15

Our 3 month old son got hives from drinking infant water with fluoride added. We are finding out that fluoride is very poisonous and should not be given to babies.

Comment from: Cat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I have suffered from hives on and off for a while. It was really bad this weekend, it was a lot worse this time, even on my face. It made my eyes all puffy. It is the worst outbreak I have had.

Comment from: Angie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have been experiencing hives every morning for just about a month now. I went to see an allergist, and I am not allergic to anything. He has diagnosed me with spontaneous urticaria. He tells me this is an immune disease and to take Aerius once a day. The Aerius helps with the hives, but as soon as I wake up in the morning I am still covered.

Comment from: latoya, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I have had hives from May of this year and it has been a terrible experience. The itching, and the swelling of my eyes, lips, face, hands, feet, and everywhere is embarrassing. I took prednisone and it worked just a short while. I took citrine, no use. The only thing that gives me some amount of ease is Allegra which is expensive. I am overweight so things I eat that has a certain food coloring in it (red) trigger it and tight clothing or anything that puts pressure on the skin. I am worried. I don't know what to eat. I need help.

Comment from: HELP AT LAST, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I developed red, very itchy spots on my legs last week. The doctor said bites and prescribed a steroid and antihistamines. My physical therapist said the hives were from chigger bites. They live in grasses and woody areas and are so small you can't see them. I went to my pharmacist and he gave me something called 'Chigger Away.' It is not found on the shelves. You have to ask for it. It is used by the military and hunters. Try it, it really works.

Comment from: Karie210, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

On July 23rd I was at a warehouse (no climate control), the weather had been extremely hot, in the 100s, when I noticed bumps appearing on my chest. Within an hour my forehead became itchy. I went into the restroom and discovered welts all over forehead and chest. That evening at home, the glands behind my ears became enlarged, I had blurred vision, headache, welts on scalp, forehead, side of nose, back of neck, chest and between breasts. The welts ranged in different sizes from a dime size to as large as a dollar coin! The next morning I went to urgent care. Doctor put me on steroid, antibiotic, and a pill for itch. It did not work! The rash on scalp has gone. But the hives on side of nose and everywhere else has gotten worse. I resigned my job because the heat aggravates it and now I am working in AC. I break out into uncontrollable sweats. Embarrassing! I have tried rubbing alcohol to dry them out. It worked on the scalp and the back of my neck. And then drown the hives with calamine lotion. Cortisone and other creams aggravate hives. I recently found a medication from a prior bacterial infection, cephalexin, and I have decided to try it. I have 7 days' worth. Fingers crossed! I started taking it today. I feel for anyone that has to deal with this! Also I was told when taking antibiotic for bacterial infection, to eat yogurt. It helps prevent diarrhea.

Comment from: Kfmw, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

Hopefully those of you with chronic hives will read this. I have had hives for almost 2 years now. I have been through all sorts of medical tests and pills. I take a Zyrtec, Allegra, and ranitidine morning and night and still have hives. They started after a very bad bout of vomiting and diarrhea. In the past few months I have finally found from someone who listened to me that it is something inside me that is causing them, not something external. Try getting yourself checked for an abundance of yeast, candida and do a cleanse. Avoid sugar, pastas, breads, etc. as much as possible and see if you get some relief. It is making a big difference in my life.

Hives - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for hives?
Hives - Symptoms Question: What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms?