Patient Comments: Hives - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hives.

Comment from: lyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

The worst case of hives for me, face swollen up, and large patches on backside, arms, hands back of legs. I think I'm going to scratch myself to death. Nothing helps.

Comment from: glenda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I woke up one morning about 7 years ago covered in an itchy rash. Doctor said it was hives, gave me a shot, and they cleared up. Then they returned, so more shots, prednisone, cold compresses, allergist, etc., and nothing worked. Then I was taking a hot shower, accidentally almost scalded myself but I noticed the hives had stopped, so I turned the hot water to very hot, but not scalding, and for a split second sprayed each hive or patch of hives. They stopped itching. This effect stayed working for several hours. Now when the hives return each spring I take my Allegra, ranitidine and Singulair but they don't work as well as the hot showers. I take two or three a day and I'm itch free all over. Be careful not to scald yourself. My allergist told me he read years ago that heat makes the body produce natural antihistamines to prevent the scalding. This is why it works. A hand held shower is very useful; you can buy one for around USD 30 and just screw it onto where the fixed shower head was. As I say test the water heat, experiment with what works for you and don't scald yourself.

Comment from: Corona, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I get hives in different areas; sometimes swollen lip and tongue, top of hand or fingers, feet, etc., when I eat. It is not any one specific food. I have lost weight. I have had this problem for the last two years. At first I thought it was high blood pressure medicine Diovan but it was changed to metoprolol medicine.

Comment from: Havefaithingod, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 15

Our 3 month old son got hives from drinking infant water with fluoride added. We are finding out that fluoride is very poisonous and should not be given to babies.

Comment from: Cat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I have suffered from hives on and off for a while. It was really bad this weekend, it was a lot worse this time, even on my face. It made my eyes all puffy. It is the worst outbreak I have had.

Comment from: Angie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have been experiencing hives every morning for just about a month now. I went to see an allergist, and I am not allergic to anything. He has diagnosed me with spontaneous urticaria. He tells me this is an immune disease and to take Aerius once a day. The Aerius helps with the hives, but as soon as I wake up in the morning I am still covered.

Comment from: latoya, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I have had hives from May of this year and it has been a terrible experience. The itching, and the swelling of my eyes, lips, face, hands, feet, and everywhere is embarrassing. I took prednisone and it worked just a short while. I took citrine, no use. The only thing that gives me some amount of ease is Allegra which is expensive. I am overweight so things I eat that has a certain food coloring in it (red) trigger it and tight clothing or anything that puts pressure on the skin. I am worried. I don't know what to eat. I need help.

Hives - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for hives?
Hives - Symptoms Question: What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms?