Patient Comments: Hives - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hives.

Published: June 03

I am a 35 year old woman suffering with hives. My story seems unique in that I get them every 7 years and they last for 1 whole year!! Yup, like clockwork! I am miserable again and covered all over. I am now on a strong does of Atarax and still, no relief!! This is my 5th cycle of horrible hives in my life and no one seems to be able to find (1) the reason or (2) the cure. Anyone else suffer the 7 year itch like me?

Published: June 02

I've been breaking out with hives since I was 9! Here the past 2 years it has been every few days. I get them in my hands and face and more often all over my body! I take Benadryl and Zantac 150 every 4 hours trying to avoid them but nothing works. I have wound up in the emergency room several times after they had lasted 48 hours or more and no relief was in sight. These breakouts have cost me 3 jobs and it's getting really old.

Published: June 02

It is about 2 months now and my conditions to which I attribute to physical hives has just gotten worse. At first I thought I had dry skin. About a month into itching episodes I noticed it was out of the ordinary and lotion didn't help. I finally realized something was wrong when I was always scratching my palms and bottom of my feet, my shoulders and hips. The worst episode that made me search out an answer was when my entire back itched like crazy, everywhere i scratched lightly it raised in the line where I scratched and in addition little bumps and patches started to swell. A month has gone by since that episode and the itching continues but always moves about to various locations. Buttocks, groin, hips and hands and feet are the main areas, often tummy too. The itching last for about 20 minutes then fades. I can take Benadryl and control an outbreak of itching. I have been out in public when my whole body went crazy like I needed to get up and dance crazy and that is when I take an antihistamine. I have not seen a doctor but worry about related immune disorders since these symptoms are so odd for me and I have never had food allergies. I am considering questioning my doctor but I am otherwise feeling fine so perhaps I have one of the longer lasting cases. It's not fun and so strange. I have tried to limit my diet to see if something I eat is the culprit, like milk, but it has proven difficult to make a true test.

Published: June 02

My hives started in February on the left side of my jaw. They were a little patch that would come and go but in April after a very stressful time they became full blown all over they come and go all over my body. I feel a burning tingling sensation then in a few moments it looks as though I have been clawed. I had the same thing happen a few years ago but they went away using Hydroxizine for a few weeks. This time nothing has worked the only thing I have found to suppress then is taking a Chlor-tab four times a day it takes the itching and burning feeling away until the next dose. It has gone on for so long now I don't know if they will ever go away. My doctors are bewildered.

Published: June 02

My adult daughter has had hives for eleven months now....every day.....frequently her face and lips are swollen and the red welts are on all areas of her body including soles of the feet and palms of her hands. They often seem worse at pressure points where clothing is constricting and warm. Tests have not revealed any allergen. Generic Claritin works for a little while to relieve the itch.

Published: June 02

I'm seventeen years old, I've never been allergic to anything. About a month ago, I attended my sister's birthday party. It was outside. Ever since then I've been scratching like crazy! Yesterday morning I woke up with huge welts on my legs below the knee. I took some Benadryl and put hydrocortisone on my legs and soaked in the tub of cool water. Within minutes they disappeared. I fell asleep and 3 hours later, I woke up. They weren't below the knee anymore, they're now on my thighs, but even worse. As if they relocated. I took some more Benadryl and put some more hydrocortisone on them and fell asleep once more. I woke up this morning with them below my knee again. Strange, I know. The doctor said it would continue for a week or so.

Published: May 30

My hives just appeared out of nowhere. It is painful, and very itchy. I'm all swollen; it is all on my face. I can't see out of my right eye. The Dr. said it was just an allergic reaction to something I handled in the yard. I've had them for 3 days now. They aren't going away. I'm miserable with them. My face looks awful.

Hives - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for hives?
Hives - Symptoms Question: What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms?