Patient Comments: Hives - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hives.

Published: June 09

I have always had hives growing up, since the age of 4. I lived in Chicago, Ill during those episodes. My mother moved us to Texas by the time I was 9 to see if it was the weather or the food that would cause the reaction. Oddly enough in Texas I did not have a reaction at all. We had such a fun time hive free. Now in my 30's live in California and still no reactions. Recently I had to travel to the United Kingdom for work, and guess what? I broke out in hives from head to toe! I am allergic to Benadryl and cannot take anything containing it. To relieve some discomfort due to the itching I would sit in a cold tub of water. When I saw my boss in the morning for work, he could see my hives and swollen lip. He offered me an antihistamine and it helped. I took a Zantac and the itching stopped and the hives went away. The hives can really stop you in your tracks. So, if you travel always take the necessary things you might need even if it has been years since a last breakout.

Published: June 06

The hives first appeared on my legs only, then just arms and legs and now they are everywhere, even the palms of my hands and the soles of my feet. The itching is nearly unbearable. I have had every skin test, lab test, skin biopsy, and even X-rays all to no avail. I have tried everything from Benadryl to Decadron without relief. These spots have changed my life! I get them from heat, pressure, stress, and fatigue. The only area that I can find continuous relief is the soles of my feet when soaked in very cold water.

Published: June 06

I took lamisil and started experiencing hives. My grandmother told me to use powder to calm the hives. The powder works instantly. After putting the powder on I also took a Benadryl. With the combination of the powder and the Benadryl I am dealing with the hives. I have not had them for six weeks.

Published: June 06

I started getting hives when I was 15 and now I am 23 and they still are here they go away for awhile and then they come back in full force my lips eye's and hands, feet. I have tried every method in the book and nothing works for me except for Prenazone which is very hard to get cause of the long term affect but it is the only thing that works for me and my mom had them for 12 years and one day they just went away I went to so many doctors and no one knows what the cause is except for maybe I inherited it from my mother so the way I look at it is I got 7 years down and hopefully only another 5 to go.

Published: June 05

I get a bad case of them every year, around this time of year, the first time I am out in the sun for an extended period of time. This year it was my daughter's soccer tournament. I use sunscreen religiously all year, and change brands often, so I don't think it could be an allergy to any particular sunscreen, cosmetic, food, etc. I think I may be allergic to sun. Oddly enough, the hives are always in the same places - big patches covering my forearms (top only) and smaller patches on my upper arms (also the top only), and a big patch on my upper chest. They have never been on my legs or my face or my torso. It starts out as tiny hard bumps under my skin - it almost feels like grains of sand under my skin. The next day the area is red and very hot and the bumps begin getting bigger. They spread out and become fluid-filled blister-like bumps. They are bright red and quite hot to the touch, and I begin to feel like I have a fever. Topical Benadryl and calamine lotion help a little. Taking Benadryl helps a little. What feels the best to me is to soak in a plain water, tepid bath for as long as I can stand to. The blister spots are starting to rupture and dry up, and actually feel better at this stage - the itching is less intense and the heat is starting to go away. In another day or so, I will start using a scrub and a heavy-duty moisturizer. The patches where the hives occur will look discolored for several months. Each time this happens I wonder if I should start on a preventative course of Benadryl when I know I will be out in the sun for the first time. Then I forget and it happens again. I am ready to move to Ireland, where it is virtually impossible to get a sunburn.

Published: June 04

I broke out with hives one night and most likely will attribute it to the iridescent makeup powder that I put on for fun. I did get carried away and put a lot. It has been 6 days and the hives have not gone away. My hives are very small (like prickly heat bumps) and it is all over the body. It itches very much. Also, my face is swollen. I am taking Zyrtec and applying Calamine lotion.

Hives - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for hives?
Hives - Symptoms Question: What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms?