Patient Comments: Hives - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hives.

Published: June 12

I've been getting hives since 2003. The hives I've been experiencing are very chronic. I get them mostly on my hands and feet. When it appears on my feet, it's really bad. To the point of not being able to walk. It seems like the pain and the itching comes deep from within the bottom of my feet and gets worse as the day goes on. It feels like I'm walking on knots. Very painful. It last for about 2 days. I've tried Zyrtec, Prednisone, Claritin, Benadryl, Allegra and a steroid creme prescribed by my Allergist and NON of these products worked. I've even been to an Acupuncturist for 4 months. Nothing. This is interfering with my place of employment because when the hives flare up on my feet, I have to go home. The itching and pain are so great, that I'm physically drained and get a fever. I've been to 2 dermatologists and 2 allergists. Neither could tell me how to get rid of this except then prescribing the medication I mentioned. I had relief for about 6 months a year ago, otherwise, I get them every week.

Published: June 11

When I think back I have been getting hives since I was a child. As I get older the hives get worse and worse. I started taking an over-the-counter antihistamine about 15 years ago and apparently my body became immune to it a few years back. I had to start taking prescription medicine (Zyrtec). I've been taking that for the last 5 years or so. Zyrtec just recently went OTC and now I'm becoming immune to it too! I used to take it every 48 hours because it does make me drowsy. Now I need to take it every day. The itching and hives are unbearable especially now with the heat. I'm going to see a new allergist next month. Hopefully I will gain some new insight on this condition. Also, I've long ago changed soaps, detergents, lotions, etc. to fragrance-free, hypoallergenic.....didn't really help. I still itch and break out in hives.

Published: June 11

I have had hives on my scalp for over 15 years. They usually present themselves after working or golfing in the sun. I wear a hat when outside. I take fexofenadine but it does not help much. Since I live in Florida and golf year round I am bothered by them most of the time. I am a 73 year old well nourished male. My weight is 162 and I exercise six days a week for approx. 1/1/2 hours.

Published: June 11

For the past 4 years, every summer I get a rash on the outside and side of my elbow, also above and below the elbow. Last year it spread to both my arms and hands. Its lasts all summer until the fall and I have no idea why it only comes in summer or why it comes at all.

Published: June 11

I've had hives for 2 weeks now. A week ago i went to the doctor and got antihistamine pills and a cream. The pills work well but completely knock me out. The cream doesn't work at all. The bumps are gone from my arms (my arms feel smooth) and the rash is mostly gone but the itching is still as horrible as it was. Now the rash and bumps have spread to my chest and neck. I'm taking Claritin now for the daytime and then taking the pills I got from the doctor at night. I've found that sticking some aloe vera gel in the fridge is the most helpful when i wake up itchy in the night.

Published: June 11

I started out with just red patches that burned and itched on my forearms. That went away and I started getting random hives on my legs first thing in the morning. The random hives turned into full blown hives on my legs in a couple of weeks. Now (a few months later) I've been waking up with hives literally from my toes to my eye lids. Huge red welts that itch like mad. I had allergy tests and came back with no allergies at all, not even dust. My doctor suggested Claritin - no effect. Reactine - no effect, Benadryl - no effect and it makes me sleepy. Now I'm trying the Reactine again with Zantac as an H2 blocker, and we'll see if that helps.

Published: June 10

I was at work, cleaned up some water from the floor, fish tank water, at first it was my right ear that began to itch and swell now a good part of my body including bottom lip , eyes and face, don't know what happend.

Published: June 09

I have been suffering from hives this year since the 27th of May. The last two years I did not have any hives, but this year, it is unbearable. I write down everything thing that I eat, and drink. Then the hives would start very late at night, between 12 midnight until the later part of the morning. I take Benadryl, I use creams, rubbing alcohol. It is very unbearable and frustrating. I'm reluctant to go to an allergist because the last time I went to an allergist, they wanted to give me shots and did not know what I was allergic too.

Hives - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for hives?
Hives - Symptoms Question: What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms?