Patient Comments: Hives - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hives.

Published: June 11

I've had hives for 2 weeks now. A week ago i went to the doctor and got antihistamine pills and a cream. The pills work well but completely knock me out. The cream doesn't work at all. The bumps are gone from my arms (my arms feel smooth) and the rash is mostly gone but the itching is still as horrible as it was. Now the rash and bumps have spread to my chest and neck. I'm taking Claritin now for the daytime and then taking the pills I got from the doctor at night. I've found that sticking some aloe vera gel in the fridge is the most helpful when i wake up itchy in the night.

Published: June 11

For the past 4 years, every summer I get a rash on the outside and side of my elbow, also above and below the elbow. Last year it spread to both my arms and hands. Its lasts all summer until the fall and I have no idea why it only comes in summer or why it comes at all.

Published: June 11

I started out with just red patches that burned and itched on my forearms. That went away and I started getting random hives on my legs first thing in the morning. The random hives turned into full blown hives on my legs in a couple of weeks. Now (a few months later) I've been waking up with hives literally from my toes to my eye lids. Huge red welts that itch like mad. I had allergy tests and came back with no allergies at all, not even dust. My doctor suggested Claritin - no effect. Reactine - no effect, Benadryl - no effect and it makes me sleepy. Now I'm trying the Reactine again with Zantac as an H2 blocker, and we'll see if that helps.

Published: June 10

I was at work, cleaned up some water from the floor, fish tank water, at first it was my right ear that began to itch and swell now a good part of my body including bottom lip , eyes and face, don't know what happend.

Published: June 09

I have been suffering from hives this year since the 27th of May. The last two years I did not have any hives, but this year, it is unbearable. I write down everything thing that I eat, and drink. Then the hives would start very late at night, between 12 midnight until the later part of the morning. I take Benadryl, I use creams, rubbing alcohol. It is very unbearable and frustrating. I'm reluctant to go to an allergist because the last time I went to an allergist, they wanted to give me shots and did not know what I was allergic too.

Published: June 09

I have always had hives growing up, since the age of 4. I lived in Chicago, Ill during those episodes. My mother moved us to Texas by the time I was 9 to see if it was the weather or the food that would cause the reaction. Oddly enough in Texas I did not have a reaction at all. We had such a fun time hive free. Now in my 30's live in California and still no reactions. Recently I had to travel to the United Kingdom for work, and guess what? I broke out in hives from head to toe! I am allergic to Benadryl and cannot take anything containing it. To relieve some discomfort due to the itching I would sit in a cold tub of water. When I saw my boss in the morning for work, he could see my hives and swollen lip. He offered me an antihistamine and it helped. I took a Zantac and the itching stopped and the hives went away. The hives can really stop you in your tracks. So, if you travel always take the necessary things you might need even if it has been years since a last breakout.

Published: June 06

The hives first appeared on my legs only, then just arms and legs and now they are everywhere, even the palms of my hands and the soles of my feet. The itching is nearly unbearable. I have had every skin test, lab test, skin biopsy, and even X-rays all to no avail. I have tried everything from Benadryl to Decadron without relief. These spots have changed my life! I get them from heat, pressure, stress, and fatigue. The only area that I can find continuous relief is the soles of my feet when soaked in very cold water.

Published: June 06

I took lamisil and started experiencing hives. My grandmother told me to use powder to calm the hives. The powder works instantly. After putting the powder on I also took a Benadryl. With the combination of the powder and the Benadryl I am dealing with the hives. I have not had them for six weeks.

Hives - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for hives?
Hives - Symptoms Question: What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms?