Patient Comments: Hives - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hives.

Published: June 16

I have had hives since childhood but they would go away with antihistamines. At age 30 I was diagnosed with chronic urticaria with immense swelling from angioedema and the hives themselves. Welts about 6 inches across. This bout lasted 6 months. Two years later it came back twice as bad and lasted one year nonstop. My allergist knows I'm allergic to so many things indoors and outdoors and that I can't escape most triggers. He always prescribes 40 mg. of prednisone and sometimes initial injections of Medrol and Kenalog at the onset. I am very depressed but glad to have lived to share my story. I nearly died both times so now at the first signs of a breakout I must begin steroid therapy right away and be mindful of my symptoms. I'm thankful for the support of others. Idiopathic chronic hives with angioedema leading to anaphylaxis needs more intense research.

Published: June 16

I have had hives now for 6 months the doctors have done all of the test and they have come back all clear. I am now doing a Chinese remedy now which is helping to calm them down, and have slowly started to work out when I eat my hives come up. I just haven't found out yet what exactly causes hives.

Published: June 16

3 years ago after the birth of my daughter I began to get hives. I was still in the hospital with her when the bottoms of my feet started to swell. My second night home both of my eyes swelled shut and my lips swelled up. Gradually the hives decreased in size but not in frequency. Through my own research and process of elimination I've concluded that they are physically induced and stress related. I've cut out processed food, and now drink green tea and lots of water. This has helped but I still get them. I no longer take antihistamines, they don't work for me. For really bad outbreaks I soak in a tub of lukewarm water with baking soda. I wear as many natural fiber clothes as I can and keep things loose fitting. I keep hoping that I'll wake up one morning and I'll be hive free - at least for a day.

Published: June 12

My son is 5 years old and today 6/11 my husband and I took him to this water sprinkler in a park and after being no more than 20 minutes he broke out in hives all over his body from chin to toes it is amazing I could not even feel his body I ran to the pharmacy and got Benadryl and gave him some but this problem has slowly been getting worse it started with just small bumps here and there and over a little time, all over his body and its not only with water but cold weather as well and with mosquito bites he swells all around the bite quite a lot. It really concerns me now. I mentioned this to the doctor at the time and he said it was an allergic reaction and to just give him Benadryl. I really do not know what to do because now I am even afraid to take him to the beach like a normal child.

Published: June 12

I've been getting hives since 2003. The hives I've been experiencing are very chronic. I get them mostly on my hands and feet. When it appears on my feet, it's really bad. To the point of not being able to walk. It seems like the pain and the itching comes deep from within the bottom of my feet and gets worse as the day goes on. It feels like I'm walking on knots. Very painful. It last for about 2 days. I've tried Zyrtec, Prednisone, Claritin, Benadryl, Allegra and a steroid creme prescribed by my Allergist and NON of these products worked. I've even been to an Acupuncturist for 4 months. Nothing. This is interfering with my place of employment because when the hives flare up on my feet, I have to go home. The itching and pain are so great, that I'm physically drained and get a fever. I've been to 2 dermatologists and 2 allergists. Neither could tell me how to get rid of this except then prescribing the medication I mentioned. I had relief for about 6 months a year ago, otherwise, I get them every week.

Published: June 11

I have had hives on my scalp for over 15 years. They usually present themselves after working or golfing in the sun. I wear a hat when outside. I take fexofenadine but it does not help much. Since I live in Florida and golf year round I am bothered by them most of the time. I am a 73 year old well nourished male. My weight is 162 and I exercise six days a week for approx. 1/1/2 hours.

Published: June 11

When I think back I have been getting hives since I was a child. As I get older the hives get worse and worse. I started taking an over-the-counter antihistamine about 15 years ago and apparently my body became immune to it a few years back. I had to start taking prescription medicine (Zyrtec). I've been taking that for the last 5 years or so. Zyrtec just recently went OTC and now I'm becoming immune to it too! I used to take it every 48 hours because it does make me drowsy. Now I need to take it every day. The itching and hives are unbearable especially now with the heat. I'm going to see a new allergist next month. Hopefully I will gain some new insight on this condition. Also, I've long ago changed soaps, detergents, lotions, etc. to fragrance-free, hypoallergenic.....didn't really help. I still itch and break out in hives.

Hives - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for hives?
Hives - Symptoms Question: What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms?