Patient Comments: Hives - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hives.

Published: June 18

First hives started after camping, they were true insect bites... then more would show up - thought that the mosquitos were just continuously biting me after we got back home so I started using "Off" and keeping myself covered. It's now been over a week and I keep getting more and more of them. The outbreaks are definitely getting worse. They used to be one here, one there... now they are in big clusters sometimes becoming one huge irregular hive. Tonight I found them all over my shoulders the backs of my thighs. No change in diet, weather, detergent... THEY ITCH LIKE CRAZY and don't disappear for a couple of days.

Published: June 18

I'm 26 years old now and I've been having hives since last year. My life has changed because I don't feel healthy anymore. The hives don't bother me as much as the swelling of my lips, eyelids, the tip of my fingers and my feet. Everyday when I wake up I look at the mirror to see where the hives and the swelling decided to station in my body. It's horrible!!! I don't know what to eat anymore. I don't know what to take either. Nothing works. I get them more during my menstrual cycle.

Published: June 18

My daughter, 10, came down with hives this a.m. I took her in to the nearest ER, we were out of town. She had been on amoxicillin for 9 days for strep. Before we left the house, I gave her Benadryl. Upon arrival at hospital she was given a form of "Pepcid"-famotidine and prednisolone plus a prescription for these. She has been on amoxicillin before, and Tylenol with codeine, Motrin and Tylenol children's. She suffered a broken arm and we used the meds for pain. Thankfully her hives faded with in a few hours. They were all over and we both were quite concerned.

Published: June 16

I have had hives since childhood but they would go away with antihistamines. At age 30 I was diagnosed with chronic urticaria with immense swelling from angioedema and the hives themselves. Welts about 6 inches across. This bout lasted 6 months. Two years later it came back twice as bad and lasted one year nonstop. My allergist knows I'm allergic to so many things indoors and outdoors and that I can't escape most triggers. He always prescribes 40 mg. of prednisone and sometimes initial injections of Medrol and Kenalog at the onset. I am very depressed but glad to have lived to share my story. I nearly died both times so now at the first signs of a breakout I must begin steroid therapy right away and be mindful of my symptoms. I'm thankful for the support of others. Idiopathic chronic hives with angioedema leading to anaphylaxis needs more intense research.

Published: June 16

I have had hives now for 6 months the doctors have done all of the test and they have come back all clear. I am now doing a Chinese remedy now which is helping to calm them down, and have slowly started to work out when I eat my hives come up. I just haven't found out yet what exactly causes hives.

Published: June 16

3 years ago after the birth of my daughter I began to get hives. I was still in the hospital with her when the bottoms of my feet started to swell. My second night home both of my eyes swelled shut and my lips swelled up. Gradually the hives decreased in size but not in frequency. Through my own research and process of elimination I've concluded that they are physically induced and stress related. I've cut out processed food, and now drink green tea and lots of water. This has helped but I still get them. I no longer take antihistamines, they don't work for me. For really bad outbreaks I soak in a tub of lukewarm water with baking soda. I wear as many natural fiber clothes as I can and keep things loose fitting. I keep hoping that I'll wake up one morning and I'll be hive free - at least for a day.

Published: June 12

My son is 5 years old and today 6/11 my husband and I took him to this water sprinkler in a park and after being no more than 20 minutes he broke out in hives all over his body from chin to toes it is amazing I could not even feel his body I ran to the pharmacy and got Benadryl and gave him some but this problem has slowly been getting worse it started with just small bumps here and there and over a little time, all over his body and its not only with water but cold weather as well and with mosquito bites he swells all around the bite quite a lot. It really concerns me now. I mentioned this to the doctor at the time and he said it was an allergic reaction and to just give him Benadryl. I really do not know what to do because now I am even afraid to take him to the beach like a normal child.

Hives - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for hives?
Hives - Symptoms Question: What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms?