Patient Comments: Hives - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hives.

Published: June 23

I am in a hive outbreak now and have been for three weeks. I have experienced this before; it is miserable. I have visited dermatologists and allergists and no one can diagnose what it is. The only thing that helps is prednisone. Benadryl makes me sleepy, and doesn't work fast enough. It seems as if the hives sit dormant for about five years for me and then appear and stick around for a few months and then go away. I just wish there were something out there to make them go away!

Published: June 20

I sometimes break out in small red hives in my nape area for no particular reason. If I am nervous or extremely angry I will break out in large, red, boil looking hives along my forearm. I have always wondered if it could be an allergy to adrenaline. I was diagnosed with allergies and asthma at 18 months old. But I only seem to have symptoms to mold, nervousness and anger.

Published: June 20

I am 26 and got hives from scalp to toes for one week, had swollen lips and trouble swallowing went to ER and got an iv with 4 meds and by the next morning they went away. Then my 19 month old got them on the following afternoon, still ongoing, and scary.

Published: June 19

For the very first time in my life I have had the horrific experience of "hives." Coincidentally, I am also fighting a battle to ban the use of pesticides up and down the coast of Main where summer residents from "away" apply the same toxic pesticide/fertilizer combination to their lawns that many golf courses use and where it is a documented fact that grounds keepers suffer high incidents of cancers, skin diseases, prostate ailments, etc. These chemicals also kill fish, birds, bees and domestic pets. We should be looking at the use of pesticides as the culprit in diagnosis ing "hives." Even my dog is suffering from skin ailments for which she is being treated with steroids. How stupid are we to allow this poisoning to go on?

Published: June 19

I started itching late one evening, woke up to go to work and noticed that I was rashy EVERYWHERE! They sent me home, I went to the ER right after that. I was put on prednisone. And now stuck with a huge bill because I have no health insurance.

Published: June 18

First hives started after camping, they were true insect bites... then more would show up - thought that the mosquitos were just continuously biting me after we got back home so I started using "Off" and keeping myself covered. It's now been over a week and I keep getting more and more of them. The outbreaks are definitely getting worse. They used to be one here, one there... now they are in big clusters sometimes becoming one huge irregular hive. Tonight I found them all over my shoulders the backs of my thighs. No change in diet, weather, detergent... THEY ITCH LIKE CRAZY and don't disappear for a couple of days.

Published: June 18

I'm 26 years old now and I've been having hives since last year. My life has changed because I don't feel healthy anymore. The hives don't bother me as much as the swelling of my lips, eyelids, the tip of my fingers and my feet. Everyday when I wake up I look at the mirror to see where the hives and the swelling decided to station in my body. It's horrible!!! I don't know what to eat anymore. I don't know what to take either. Nothing works. I get them more during my menstrual cycle.

Published: June 18

My daughter, 10, came down with hives this a.m. I took her in to the nearest ER, we were out of town. She had been on amoxicillin for 9 days for strep. Before we left the house, I gave her Benadryl. Upon arrival at hospital she was given a form of "Pepcid"-famotidine and prednisolone plus a prescription for these. She has been on amoxicillin before, and Tylenol with codeine, Motrin and Tylenol children's. She suffered a broken arm and we used the meds for pain. Thankfully her hives faded with in a few hours. They were all over and we both were quite concerned.

Hives - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for hives?
Hives - Symptoms Question: What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms?