Patient Comments: Hives - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hives.

Comment from: Susie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

For the past 6 months, I've had horrible cases of hives weekly. They were on my midsection mostly, especially where my clothes were tight. Waistline of jeans, where my bra is, etc. Today they're on the bottom of my arms and behind my armpits. The doctor has given me ranitidine, Vistaril, Benadryl to no avail. He gave me a topical fungus cream saying that it may work sometimes. He did a biopsy and blood work. It showed up this morning with a vengeance. I've switched detergents, stopped medications and I'm itching like mad. It's now in a place that would show unless I wear long sleeves. Is it possible that an unbalanced PH could cause this!

Comment from: Kim, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I had a hysterectomy 2 1/2 years ago. About four months later I broke out in hives, during the allergy season. They never went away. I was taking Zyrtec to control them, but it became less effective over time and I they finally broke through despite the medication. I'm now taking Zyrtec and hydroxyzine and am on Plaquenil. My doctor considers it auto immune despite the fact that all my tests are normal. I am hoping for remission, but not holding my breath.

Comment from: scaryone68, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I get hives from physical touch like a scratch or burn or simply by applying too much pressure to an object (like using a screwdriver, opening a twist off top on a beer bottle, or carrying the plastic grocery bags around my wrists). I've had this over sensitive skin reaction since I was a teenager and it happens at least weekly, but in the last 5 years I have started having huge amounts of swelling in various body parts that itch kind of like hives. Body parts it has happened to include tongue (usually only one side), lips (both upper and lower lip but at different times), the pads of my fingers (varies which finger but never a pinky), and the ball of my foot (feels like your standing on a big smooth stone). These weird hive/swelling events are huge and usually clear up with ice and antihistamine within a few hours, but the swelling is alarming to see (especially the lips). I look like I have been smacked in the mouth with a baseball bat. The doctor always says, "I don't know what caused it", and it's gone before I can get an appointment so he only sees a picture. I feel better now after learning it has a name (physical urticaria and angioedema) and it doesn't mean I have contracted some rare disease. Reading that it happens to others and is not life threatening (unless tongue blocks airway anyway) makes me feel much better. I thought I might just be allergic to life, parts of it anyway, just wasn't sure which part/s.

Comment from: Kamal, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I am suffering from urticaria since last almost 15 years, I live in India and every six months the weather changes in this part of the world, half year summers and half year winters. The winter season is very difficult for me, as I can't do exercise, brisk walk, running, jogging, wear warm clothes, enter any room with heater on, etc. as I feel thousands of needles pricking my whole body, and my whole body gets extremely hot, the temperature around my face always remain hot during entire winter season. People joke about me and think that I am street smart kind of a person who does not wear warm clothes during cold weather as the temperature remains as low as 4 - 10 degrees.

Comment from: ger, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I developed them after I had a cast removed from my left wrist, it was strange. Said left hand was extremely itchy with all the skin peeling off. The blotches were all over my body, I am going on my third week with them. The itching was the worst I have ever had. At first I thought it was a fungal infection since I have candida under my chest and athlete's foot, so I started taking yeast cleanser capsules plus lots of garlic, zinc, and acidophilus. Also I washed all my clothes in fragrance free detergent. I just started taking Zyrtec 10mgs daily which is helping.

Comment from: Sagi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have had hives for about 4 months. I am not sure if it is yogurt or some other food that has triggered the allergy. Initially the hives were longish lumps and would go off within 1 hour, but now the hives are spots, more itchy and last longer, some even for a day. Doctor gave me betamethasone cream and oral Glencet, but they have become less effective after using for 2 months. Now I apply a hot pad on the hives. This helps diminish the itch tremendously and also reduce the stubborn hives.

Hives - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for hives?
Hives - Symptoms Question: What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms?