Patient Comments: Hives - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hives.

Comment from: Jan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I have been waking up with a rash most mornings for almost 1 year. I talked to my doctor once about it early on but it wasn't visible at the time of the appointment so that led to nowhere. The rash presents itself mostly on my forearms, the backside of my upper arms, armpits, torso sides under my upper arms, the sides and nape of my neck, and inside of my upper thighs. I find I've been scratching in the early morning hours when my body is warm in bed. No bedbugs or allergies to bedding. I treat with a hot shower which helps diminish the itch tremendously and sprinkle generously with Gold Bond medicated (gold bottle) powder. Sometimes my forearms and crooks of my elbows feel itchy before bed and I use the Gold Bond to help prevent the rash from starting. I don't take oral medications for this.

Comment from: benjamin, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

I am experiencing hives twice a week.it appears more often after dinner and usually last one to two hours after taking TELFAST 120 mg or ARTIZ

Comment from: Scotty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

On Feburary 2013 I suddenly began swelling in my face but I wasn't alarmed, I thought it was just a slight case of stress. But pretty soon I found my throat was shutting down and not breathing right. I called my girlfriend and she immediately came out with a nurse, they rushed me to ER then went by ambulance to a Level 3 trauma hospital. I had a team of 3 doctors and was in ICU. And it was caused by medicine I had been on for years. So be careful.

Comment from: Cool and Hot, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 25

I bathe on every alternate days and clean my limbs daily. I did not have any prior diseases related to skin, liver, kidney, etc. I had flu before some days (which might have occurred due to some allergy). The flu was over on its own. One day, when I was sitting I got minor itch on my back, which I scratched. Then, the area of skin became red with a small patch. Itching started around skin of neck and shoulder, which I slightly scratched. After around half an hour, every patch disappeared. Next morning, when I got up and washed my face with cold water, I felt warm on my face as it got dry. Then, I got itch on the back of my ear, then on neck, shoulder, chest, back etc. The cycle of itch-scratch-patch went on and disappeared after an hour. Third day, I got similar itch and rashes on my legs. On the morning of fourth day, I got it on my chest, back, and buttocks. I took pictures of each. On the fifth day, when I visited Doctor, he declared it as urticaria with dermatographism and prescribed antihistamines which I had started on my own on the fourth day, :-). I guess I developed auto-immune-disease following the allergen induced flu.

Comment from: john, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

I have been experiencing hives and angioedema for over 25 years. These were not well controlled by a variety of antihistamines that I had been on. Ten years ago I finally found an allergist who specialized in these conditions. He placed me on Doxipan 25 mg, 4 times a day. Doxipan is an antidepressant but has very strong antihistamine properties. It is over 100 times stronger than Benadryl and is very effective in stopping hives. I take Zyflo CR which is very effective in reducing the angioedema. Because it can cause liver damage, it is necessary to have regular blood tests. Singulair also works and it does not require blood tests, but is not as effective during periods of increased symptoms. Although these last two medications are generally for asthma, angioedema is caused by a similar mechanism. I hope this information is helpful to others who have similar conditions.

Published: June 25

I am currently suffering my first experience with hives. I woke up one morning, and out of the blue, I was covered in them from my shoulders to my feet. I tried calamine lotion and Benadryl. My face swelled up a couple times, and I went to the urgent care clinic, where I was given a steroid shot and an Rx for hydroxyzine and Zantac. I'm taking those twice a day, and I'm exhausted constantly. I haven't found a doctor who thinks they can help me. I guess I'm on my own with these meds. I just hope the hives go away soon. They are always the worst in the morning, so I think it's something in my bed, although I've switched out everything since the hives started.

Hives - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for hives?
Hives - Symptoms Question: What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms?