Patient Comments: Hives - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hives.

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I got hives 6 months ago. I have had a very bad case of them taking over 50% of my body since then. At that time I had a physical, my thyroid was normal, and I was taken off of Synthroid (levothyroxine), my thyroid medicine, even though previously I was told I had Hashimoto's by an endocrinologist. Hashimoto's does not go away so I should have known better than to believe my regular doctor. I also stopped taking Zoloft. I think the withdrawal of these medicines has caused me to have this condition. I had allergy testing and I am not allergic to anything. Then I had a skin biopsy with a dermatologist and it came back negative for cancer and for lupus. I am going back to the endocrinologist today in hopes of getting back on Synthroid in hopes that it will work. Just know that all thyroid testing is not precise. Hashimoto's can cause hives and you need to see endocrinologist for correct diagnosis. The old TSH test is not reliable.

Comment from: youi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I ate a tuber known as sweet potato, cooked in mutton broth. A few days later I started feeling very itchy, I scratched it and it got worse. It has now been 1 week and 3 days the sight is repulsive. It's like a rash of gross pimple looking things. It is so gross, it's itchy, and I've been sweating. I've taken hot baths and showers just to know now that I should not have. This is 3rd day into this and was then told I had hives. It is so itchy, and the sight is horrendously repulsive, not to mention the way it's spreading up and down my body. I'm agitated and irritated but have no problems breathing. I'm able to eat perfectly normally, drink, and smoke. They fade then return, I'm thinking because of the hot water. They are purple and my skin looks scarred. I hate hives; my poor skin.

Comment from: Mickey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I have been suffering for the past month with hives on my feet, hands, butt, legs, and arms. They start as a raised welt about the size of a nickel. Once I scratch they grow to size of a plate. On three occasions it has affected my face, however it doesn't itch on my face. But my lip, jaw, and tongue blew up. I took 2 Benadryl, 2 hours later took another one, and 2 hours later took 2 more. Within 6 hours symptoms subsided. Face back to normal in about 24 hours. I tried holistic approach, did 24 hour Epsom salt drink detoxification. But didn't really help. Epsom salt baths helped sooth while in the water. I just did some research on candida overgrowth. I will try to cleanse and do diet changes and update results.

Comment from: Colleen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I break out in hives when I work a night shift, usually between 6 - 10 pm. Hives are on my forearms, arm pits, lower back, buttocks back of thighs and sometimes my feet, eyelids and lips. After I get home, I take a shower the hives start to go away. Doesn't happen when I am not working. Very strange.

Comment from: Lcarter, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I started breaking out with hives on May 27, 2014. At first I thought it was bug bites that I got when weeding outside after it rained and the lawn was mowed. By the next day my arms were covered. I went to the emergency room and they prescribed Pepcid, Benadryl and prednisone. I ended up back there in two days because I had a bad reaction to prednisone and the Benadryl. They gave me another antihistamine, hydroxyzine, gave me some lotion, and told me to keep taking the Pepcid. Two days later it was so bad I had to back. They put me on Decadron, ranitidine, hydroxyzine and an ointment. I went back to the doctor, my regular doctor, a little over a week later. My arms had cleared up pretty good, he had me stay on everything, but now, after my arms are almost all clear, I am breaking out on my legs.

Comment from: terri, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

About 6 weeks ago I woke up covered with hives. I thought it was due to stress and lack of rest as a distressing situation was going on in my life. About the 4th week, I finally went to the doctor and was given prednisone which initially seemed to be helping but in the end did nothing. I went back to my family doctor... blood work came back normal. I am taking Zantac and Zyrtec but they are not helping. The hives cover my whole backside, my chest, stomach, and abdomen, arms, legs, and feet. They are on the bottom of my feet which is painful. I woke up with a fat lip and hives on my face this morning. I have found a cream called fluocinonide that is helping with the itching.

Hives - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for hives?
Hives - Symptoms Question: What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms?