Patient Comments: Hives - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hives.

Published: June 23

I am experiencing my third bout of hives. The first time was in 1980. I was traveling on an extended vacation. Mount St Helen erupted and I was covered in hives within two to three days. They lasted for about a year. The second episode occurred after we had Hurricane Isabel. They were extremely severe, scratching until my body was covered with scabs secondary to bleeding from digging to control the itching. I went on multiple medications including prednisone, which caused problems with my diabetes. I took Ranitidine to knock them out. Then, approximately six weeks ago, within 30 miles from our home, we had tornado come through. Suddenly I am covered in hives. They are head to toe. The itching is most intense on my shoulders and trunk of body plus the ankles. I have been on Ranitidine for maintenance since then.

Comment from: dimples of sta rosa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I've been through this urticaria for about 1 year and 6 months on and off. I'm sick and tired of finding ways to cure this skin disease I have, at present I take Xyzal antihistamine and yet there are no changes.

Comment from: Sam, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I have suffered from urticaria for at least 10 years now. I have to take anti-histamines every day, when I don't, I flair up all over my body. It is so frustrating and the thought of having this for the rest of my life is so depressing! I am however grateful that I have never had my throat swell closed on me!

Comment from: dmojo1957, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I was stung by 2 yellow jackets on August 17th. I broke out with a bad case of hives and even my lips swelled up on August 27th.

Comment from: N.a.n.a., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I have been taking antibiotics for a urinary tract infection (UTI) for 6 days and today I just started itching and welts began to appear. Within about 2 hours I was covered in hives, from my scalp to my ankles. I got Benadryl and cortisone cream and the relief lasted a couple of hours and then it was back full force. I have never experienced this before.

Comment from: Jan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I have been waking up with a rash most mornings for almost 1 year. I talked to my doctor once about it early on but it wasn't visible at the time of the appointment so that led to nowhere. The rash presents itself mostly on my forearms, the backside of my upper arms, armpits, torso sides under my upper arms, the sides and nape of my neck, and inside of my upper thighs. I find I've been scratching in the early morning hours when my body is warm in bed. No bedbugs or allergies to bedding. I treat with a hot shower which helps diminish the itch tremendously and sprinkle generously with Gold Bond medicated (gold bottle) powder. Sometimes my forearms and crooks of my elbows feel itchy before bed and I use the Gold Bond to help prevent the rash from starting. I don't take oral medications for this.

Comment from: benjamin, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

I am experiencing hives twice a week.it appears more often after dinner and usually last one to two hours after taking TELFAST 120 mg or ARTIZ

Comment from: Scotty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

On Feburary 2013 I suddenly began swelling in my face but I wasn't alarmed, I thought it was just a slight case of stress. But pretty soon I found my throat was shutting down and not breathing right. I called my girlfriend and she immediately came out with a nurse, they rushed me to ER then went by ambulance to a Level 3 trauma hospital. I had a team of 3 doctors and was in ICU. And it was caused by medicine I had been on for years. So be careful.

Hives - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for hives?
Hives - Symptoms Question: What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms?