Patient Comments: Hives - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hives.

Comment from: Sagi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have had hives for about 4 months. I am not sure if it is yogurt or some other food that has triggered the allergy. Initially the hives were longish lumps and would go off within 1 hour, but now the hives are spots, more itchy and last longer, some even for a day. Doctor gave me betamethasone cream and oral Glencet, but they have become less effective after using for 2 months. Now I apply a hot pad on the hives. This helps diminish the itch tremendously and also reduce the stubborn hives.

Comment from: Bella, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

My allergy started about 25 years ago. I have seen over 3 scores of doctors, dietitians, priests, have done everything to stop the hives. The doctor describes it as Urticaria. I am taking about 4 to 5 medication a day. Nothing seems to be working.

Comment from: sooz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I have been experiencing nasty hives and extreme scalp itching for nearly a year. I take Benadryl at night but it does little to help and I am always awakened and kept awake by my itchy scalp. At this point, I'm losing my mind.

Comment from: LILMUNCHK, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

Any itch that I get will welt up with hives. Once the itch starts it does not stop and it can be anywhere on my body. Usually these areas turn red and the area gets hot.

Published: June 23

I am experiencing my third bout of hives. The first time was in 1980. I was traveling on an extended vacation. Mount St Helen erupted and I was covered in hives within two to three days. They lasted for about a year. The second episode occurred after we had Hurricane Isabel. They were extremely severe, scratching until my body was covered with scabs secondary to bleeding from digging to control the itching. I went on multiple medications including prednisone, which caused problems with my diabetes. I took Ranitidine to knock them out. Then, approximately six weeks ago, within 30 miles from our home, we had tornado come through. Suddenly I am covered in hives. They are head to toe. The itching is most intense on my shoulders and trunk of body plus the ankles. I have been on Ranitidine for maintenance since then.

Comment from: dimples of sta rosa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I've been through this urticaria for about 1 year and 6 months on and off. I'm sick and tired of finding ways to cure this skin disease I have, at present I take Xyzal antihistamine and yet there are no changes.

Comment from: Sam, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I have suffered from urticaria for at least 10 years now. I have to take anti-histamines every day, when I don't, I flair up all over my body. It is so frustrating and the thought of having this for the rest of my life is so depressing! I am however grateful that I have never had my throat swell closed on me!

Comment from: dmojo1957, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I was stung by 2 yellow jackets on August 17th. I broke out with a bad case of hives and even my lips swelled up on August 27th.

Comment from: N.a.n.a., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I have been taking antibiotics for a urinary tract infection (UTI) for 6 days and today I just started itching and welts began to appear. Within about 2 hours I was covered in hives, from my scalp to my ankles. I got Benadryl and cortisone cream and the relief lasted a couple of hours and then it was back full force. I have never experienced this before.

Hives - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for hives?
Hives - Symptoms Question: What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms?