Patient Comments: Hives - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hives.

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had what seemed to be a bite on my wrist on June 1, which was really itchy. I scratched it. Then I got small red circular patches on my hands that were white in the middle and had a red ring around the edges. Those spread to 80% of my body. I was itchy all summer after that, my head would get mounds on it and would itch every time I slept or I would break out into a sweat. I would get cold chills and then feel hot as blazes, I remember changing the thermometer on the house from heat to a/c all summer long. I could not sleep because of itching. I went to an allergist and was given a steroid shot. I went to a dermatologist and got a skin biopsy which came back clear. I got a sonogram of my abdomen and that came back okay. My blood test supposedly ruled out lymphoma or leukemia. I was given prednisone which did not work. My allergy testing came back negative except for a mild reaction to ragweed. I am not allergic to cats or dogs, I stopped eating all fermented products and dairy products and citrus. I went on a low histamine diet, turkey, soy milk and bananas. I read about vitamin D3 relieving hives and started taking 4,000 IUs of that and it has helped a bit but I had a lot of hives this past weekend and now my mom has them. So now I am really wondering what this is. I am starting to think it is caused by a virus. Vitamin D3 daily 4,000 helped me. I am now thinking it is caused by the Epstein-Barr (mononucleosis) or cytomegalovirus.

Comment from: Charlene, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

Exactly 10 years ago I got hives. After many doctors it was determined that I had chronic hives, but all the tests came back negative. After 10 months and many different medicines, they went away. Now, 10 years later they are back! Again all the tests are negative and none of the medicines help. I was actually taking 8 pills a day at one time. My primary care physician (PCP) and allergist both say, 'cause unknown' and we will never find out. They get worse at night. I am so tired of itching and wearing a bra is torture.

Comment from: Karen T, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

How does hives feel? It feels like I have gotten sunburned, rolled in the grass and gotten poison ivy, and then the bees start stinging! I developed hives about six months ago. First there were very few bumps, mostly just areas of itching, redness and burning. As the bumps started increasing, I saw my doctor who referred me to an allergist. I am now on a regimen of Allegra, Xyzal, Zyrtec and Zantac. I add Benadryl and prednisone when it is out of control. Episodes have lasted up to 12 hours. I started Xolair injections two months ago but no improvement yet. I have seen an endocrinologist because my thyroid antibodies are elevated. We plan to try low dose thyroid medication to see if that might help. I would not wish this on my worst enemy! I am a 62 year old retired nurse/grandmother who carries an EpiPen, a bottle of liquid Benadryl and ice packs whenever I leave the house. There is no way to know when a breakthrough will occur and all plans change quickly!

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I got hives 6 months ago. I have had a very bad case of them taking over 50% of my body since then. At that time I had a physical, my thyroid was normal, and I was taken off of Synthroid (levothyroxine), my thyroid medicine, even though previously I was told I had Hashimoto's by an endocrinologist. Hashimoto's does not go away so I should have known better than to believe my regular doctor. I also stopped taking Zoloft. I think the withdrawal of these medicines has caused me to have this condition. I had allergy testing and I am not allergic to anything. Then I had a skin biopsy with a dermatologist and it came back negative for cancer and for lupus. I am going back to the endocrinologist today in hopes of getting back on Synthroid in hopes that it will work. Just know that all thyroid testing is not precise. Hashimoto's can cause hives and you need to see endocrinologist for correct diagnosis. The old TSH test is not reliable.

Comment from: youi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I ate a tuber known as sweet potato, cooked in mutton broth. A few days later I started feeling very itchy, I scratched it and it got worse. It has now been 1 week and 3 days the sight is repulsive. It's like a rash of gross pimple looking things. It is so gross, it's itchy, and I've been sweating. I've taken hot baths and showers just to know now that I should not have. This is 3rd day into this and was then told I had hives. It is so itchy, and the sight is horrendously repulsive, not to mention the way it's spreading up and down my body. I'm agitated and irritated but have no problems breathing. I'm able to eat perfectly normally, drink, and smoke. They fade then return, I'm thinking because of the hot water. They are purple and my skin looks scarred. I hate hives; my poor skin.

Hives - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for hives?
Hives - Symptoms Question: What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms?