Patient Comments: Hives - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hives.

Comment from: Gin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I started to feel sick in July of 2014. I suddenly got a very dry mouth, to the point where I could not make spit. This went on for about 3 days along with nausea and anxiety. After that, it went away, then about a month later it happened again. Same symptoms. Then on Labor Day weekend, I took an Imitrex for a migraine headache. About 20 minutes later I had hives. I am allergic to sulfa, so I looked up Imitrex and found out it has a sulfa derivative. I went to family doctor and was put on prednisone, Zyrtec and Pepcid AC. Prednisone worked, but 2 days after the last dose, hives came back again. I went through this again in October, and the allergist put me on 4 Allegra, hydroxyzine and Benadryl along with the prednisone. Needless to say, I am all drugged out. Hives have returned, but I am able to keep them at bay by doubling up on antihistamines. They won't put me on any more prednisone. I'm curious if Imitrex has something to do with it.

Comment from: BDSims, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

We go out walking in various places full of nature quite a lot. But apparently something bit me on one of the excursions. I have these itching hives that appear in an area of my body, like my inner thigh, then the next day it's on my lower leg, next day or so it's on my right foot. They last several days, it is on my abdomen, swelling my old stretch marks from childbearing. These things itch like crazy and are quite sensitive to touch so I have to leave my pants open and my shirt has to be loose. Now it is forming under my left arm! I am going nuts dealing with this and hesitate to go to the doctor, because I don't want to take any medicine.

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had what seemed to be a bite on my wrist on June 1, which was really itchy. I scratched it. Then I got small red circular patches on my hands that were white in the middle and had a red ring around the edges. Those spread to 80% of my body. I was itchy all summer after that, my head would get mounds on it and would itch every time I slept or I would break out into a sweat. I would get cold chills and then feel hot as blazes, I remember changing the thermometer on the house from heat to a/c all summer long. I could not sleep because of itching. I went to an allergist and was given a steroid shot. I went to a dermatologist and got a skin biopsy which came back clear. I got a sonogram of my abdomen and that came back okay. My blood test supposedly ruled out lymphoma or leukemia. I was given prednisone which did not work. My allergy testing came back negative except for a mild reaction to ragweed. I am not allergic to cats or dogs, I stopped eating all fermented products and dairy products and citrus. I went on a low histamine diet, turkey, soy milk and bananas. I read about vitamin D3 relieving hives and started taking 4,000 IUs of that and it has helped a bit but I had a lot of hives this past weekend and now my mom has them. So now I am really wondering what this is. I am starting to think it is caused by a virus. Vitamin D3 daily 4,000 helped me. I am now thinking it is caused by the Epstein-Barr (mononucleosis) or cytomegalovirus.

Comment from: Charlene, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

Exactly 10 years ago I got hives. After many doctors it was determined that I had chronic hives, but all the tests came back negative. After 10 months and many different medicines, they went away. Now, 10 years later they are back! Again all the tests are negative and none of the medicines help. I was actually taking 8 pills a day at one time. My primary care physician (PCP) and allergist both say, 'cause unknown' and we will never find out. They get worse at night. I am so tired of itching and wearing a bra is torture.

Comment from: Karen T, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

How does hives feel? It feels like I have gotten sunburned, rolled in the grass and gotten poison ivy, and then the bees start stinging! I developed hives about six months ago. First there were very few bumps, mostly just areas of itching, redness and burning. As the bumps started increasing, I saw my doctor who referred me to an allergist. I am now on a regimen of Allegra, Xyzal, Zyrtec and Zantac. I add Benadryl and prednisone when it is out of control. Episodes have lasted up to 12 hours. I started Xolair injections two months ago but no improvement yet. I have seen an endocrinologist because my thyroid antibodies are elevated. We plan to try low dose thyroid medication to see if that might help. I would not wish this on my worst enemy! I am a 62 year old retired nurse/grandmother who carries an EpiPen, a bottle of liquid Benadryl and ice packs whenever I leave the house. There is no way to know when a breakthrough will occur and all plans change quickly!

Hives - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for hives?
Hives - Symptoms Question: What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms?