Patient Comments: Hives - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hives.

Published: May 30

Since the first week of March, I have been experiencing itchy, red streaks that appear and disappear from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet. The streaks come in go with in minutes. Prior to a breakout, I can feel the heat and know exactly where the hive will show up. I have been to a dermatologist 6 times and tried a variety of medications that still have not made the situation any better. He concluded that I was experiencing stress. The only medication/vitamins that I take are, 60 mg of Cymbalta a day (for anxiety) and one a day vitamins. My diet nor cleaning supplies have changed over this time. This morning while attending a meeting, my director jumped up and said, "Are you alright?" I said, "No." It felt as though someone was in front of meet passing there fingernails in my skin from the top of my head to my feet. Everyone in the room looked at me and gasped. They could feel the heat several inches away from my body and stared at the long streaks that covered my face. Paramedics were called. By the time they reached the office the hives turned pink. I was brought to the doctor who has been in practice 20 years. He and his nurse sat with me for an hour and watched in front of their eyes scratches like hives appear down my arms, legs and face and disappear within minutes. Tomorrow morning they are planning on running blood work on me because I had one thyroid removed December 2007. The doctor will also check to see if I am beginning Menopause (I am 46 yrs. old) If this rules out he said he thinks I need to see a psychiatrist, not that I am crazy but to see if my cells are giving off a histamine through my blood stream (Some sort of in balance) The doctor said that in his experience, he has seen hives like this on patients, but the hives last a few days, not just appear and disappear before the naked eye. This situation is starting to interfere with my work and my family. The itching is worse than pain.

Published: May 29

I have had hives since February. They started at work. I think I got bit by a bug since later on the bugs were found to be in my phone, and I felt a bite at the back of my neck and then the hives started. I didn't think they were related at the time. The bugs were found later. I was on prednisone in the emergency room, and my entire office was stripped. I got itchy at work and hives at work. The hives continue. They come and go but mostly come. It is distressing. I hope they go away soon. I have been on a course of prednisone. The acute phase is over, but I continue to have hives regularly. Anything can trigger it heat, sun, mosquito bites or anything. I am 56 and have never been sick or allergic to anything, but I had a lot of stress in the last six months.

Published: May 23

I have been dealing with hives since February and it is now the end of May. I have had an allergy test done and blood test...no conclusion. It is very depressing not knowing what the cause is. I have become obsessed to the point I am eating nothing but one meat and rice, washing clothes five times without soap and taking showers without soap! I am still breaking out in hives. All this is unhealthy because I am trying to breastfeed my seven month old and take care of other children. I know something is going on with my body and no one knows. The hives pop up on my lip, hands, torso, but never on my legs.

Comment from: d.dunay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

For the past three days, I've had red, raised spots that itch very little. They start on my stomach, go down my arms, onto my back, and down legs. It starts at about 6 p.m. and, they disappear by 10 a.m. I do not take any medication, and I haven't changed my diet.

Comment from: Cindi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

For nearly three years, I've had measle-like hives. I have seen an allergist, GP and a dermatologist. My allergist has done testing and said I'm allergic to cats, dogs, dust mites, and mold. I have taken numerous rounds of prednisone to control the horrible itching and rash. I do not want to take this the rest of my life for obvious reasons, including liver damage and weight gain. I tried allergy shots and when they tried to increase the level, I got worse hives. I just want my life back. I am on Benadryl and another prescription at night for the itching. Some nights I wake up scratching anyway. Is there anything else I can do?

Hives - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for hives?
Hives - Symptoms Question: What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms?