Patient Comments: Hives - Treatment

What was your treatment for hives?

Comment from: Cured, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I suffered from chronic hives about 10 years ago. I woke up with hives every morning and anytime I had pressure put on any part of my body. After going to an allergist he found that I had hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's disease. I was put on Claritin for about 6 months while the doctor followed up with regular appointments. After I was hive free for a long period of time he slowly took me off the Claritin and I am still hive free today. The Claritin will make you very sleepy at first but you will adjust if you stick with it. Good Luck!

Comment from: Esther, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 09

In 2008 almost the whole year, I had hives and it was the first time. They were on and off. When I took loratadine (Loridin) in 2009, they went but in the last quarter of 2012, they were back. I tried to use the same medication but it could only take away symptoms temporarily. For about 5 months, I have been using raw garlic morning and evening and it works well for me. Also cetirizine was working well for me, for every 1 1/2 days each tab, but only because I wanted to avoid it as it could make me sleepy. Hope you try it out. Good luck.

Comment from: Heather, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was on holiday in Turkey in 2001 when I first started to get a strange reaction. I would feel weak and then my lips started to swell. When we returned home I then started to break out in huge hives and sometimes swelling under the skin. I was sent to numerous specialists and no reason for the hives was found. I tried all the usual drugs mentioned by other people and then one day in 2005, I met a person who had the same problem. She was put on a 5 day dose of prednisone 50mg. a day. At the end of that dose I was then put on hydroxyzine and ranitidine. I took this medication, 1 tablet each morning and evening. This finally worked. I eventually was able to wean myself off this medication and for the past 5 years was hive free - until late this summer when suddenly the hives returned, no known cause. I am trying the same treatment as before but this time I am not getting the same result.

Comment from: mikey2872, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I get hives during the summer/fall every year. I use OTC Allegra or store generics as maintenance and it seems to keep the hives at bay. I then use Benadryl as the itching breaks through the effect of the Allegra.

Comment from: Angie, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

I've been experiencing embarrassing itchy red bumps on my skin. Then I googled it and found out I probably have "hives". I never had these before until I moved and that same week I moved they started appearing. It's not severe. But the weird thing is that if I scratch myself, a couple of minutes later I see that the marks are like red and raised like hives except that they have a certain shape. I could actually write my name on my skin with these weird hives! I haven't gone to the doctor because I'm afraid they might give me a medicine that can get addicted. I've been through that before and I don't want it to happen again.

Comment from: mandy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I discovered two lumps in my breast. I'm currently waiting for a scan for the last 6 weeks. I have now developed a very sore nipple and I can now feel some more lumps. The tissue behind my nipple is also hard.?

Comment from: Cami53, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I've had allergies my entire life = eczema, asthma, hives, angioedema. (I'm 76 yrs. old.) Was getting allergy shots for 20 yrs. but stopped when I moved to another city and started seeing another allergist who didn't prescribe allergy shots. Then I started having angioedema of my lips (had it sporadically throughout my life). Allergist initially prescribed Allegra 60 mg. bid; didn't control them; then Axid; then Vospire; then doxepin. When I didn't have any episodes for about 6 months, he would discontinue 1 medication; then they reoccurred plus had some episodes of giant hives so was put on prednisone for only 5 days. Now I've been on the 4 medications for about 2-1/2 yrs. with only one episode of idiopathic angioedema of lips.

Hives - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hives.
Hives - Symptoms Question: What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms?