Patient Comments: Hives - Treatment

What was your treatment for hives?

Comment from: M, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 03

My daughter who is now 32, developed chronic daily hives when she was about 12. Absolutely horrible. They presented every day in the afternoon, and gone by morning. They itched like crazy. We went to numerous specialists for about a year and half until one remembered a connection between hives and low/borderline low thyroid function. She went on a low dose of thyroid hormone and the next day, no hives! She hasn't had them since! This does run in families, however, my husband's niece now has the exact symptoms, as did my husband as a child, who never knew what the cause was. Get to an endocrinologist and have your thyroid checked! Even if it's just borderline low.

Comment from: Paul, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I'm a 35 year old male with hypothyroidism. My doctors cannot pinpoint the reason as to why I get hives but I attribute it to hypothyroidism and a malfunction in hormones. I seem to get hives after meals and more often so in the winter. I use Allegra and in most cases it works. When I have a major attack I use hydroxyzine gel 10 mg. The hydroxyzine works wonders but it knocks you out. It is a very powerful but a quick solution to quashing my hives. If I have a bad attack and my lips swell up, I will dissolve one of the hydroxyzine pills under my tongue for faster absorption.

Comment from: Carrie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I suffer from acute hives, I've been dealing with them for over 30 years and have been hospitalized from them. Reactine is the only thing that helps me and I've tried everything. Reactine works so fast I can watch the hives going down on my skin within 20 minutes. Since using it I haven't even had to have adrenaline shots. Get the extra strength you won't be sorry.

Comment from: Better Now, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

Fifteen years ago I had an osteotomy of the hip. Hives ran in my family but other than an occasional hive or two that was about it. After my surgery I began to have swelling of the lips and eyes, which developed into hives from the top of my head to my toes. I saw internal medicine physician, allergist, etc., who were baffled. I took Zyrtec every 12 hours to keep them in control. Finally, after two years, an emergency room physician gave me prednisone, which worked. However, a hand surgeon suggested that it may have been caused by the screws in my hip which may contain nickel that most people are allergic to.

Comment from: Kay, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

For over two years I would wake up every morning with swollen eyes and lips and itchy hives on my hands and feet. I went to many doctors but they could not help. Someone suggested it could be from the new toothpaste I was using which had tartar control ingredients in it. I stopped using tartar control toothpastes and the swelling stopped. Apparently there is something in that toothpaste that I was reacting to. It stayed in my mouth overnight and thus got into my blood stream. Glad I figured it out. No more swollen face!

Comment from: mandy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I discovered two lumps in my breast. I'm currently waiting for a scan for the last 6 weeks. I have now developed a very sore nipple and I can now feel some more lumps. The tissue behind my nipple is also hard.?

Comment from: henry, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

Lots of bottled water helped me for hives. I had 3 16 oz. bottles a day at least and I also went to dollar tree and found a liquid diphenhydramine and it worked; best part it was only a dollar. I tried Claritin and all it did was keep me up all night. I also used an athlete's foot cream so I am not sure which was best. I also used the hot water when I itched badly then followed it with cool water.

Comment from: Natural remedy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

Hives can be cured with natural remedies. It happened to me and was an awful experience. Juice ginger and lemon, and drink kefir and kombucha. Eat lightly, so you clean your digestive system. Wash with apple cider vinegar and try to remain calm, it will all go away.

Hives - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hives.
Hives - Symptoms Question: What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms?