Patient Comments: Hives - Treatment

What was your treatment for hives?

Comment from: Kb, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 18

The result of my liver blood test is ALT 89, and I am scheduled for an ultrasound. I don't have a clue what causes this elevation from the standard range of 54. I am not a drinker nor taking any Tylenol. But I do like my green tea.

Comment from: Dorothy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

What works for me for hives until medication starts to kick in is Paxyl, a sunburn relief spray. My son pointed out that it has lignocaine in it. You could probably just buy some lignocaine spray but if you don't have any on hand try the Paxyl, just one short spray works really well.

Comment from: kriti, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

Urticaria or hives can be cured by Ayurveda. Take celery seeds and jaggery in equal proportions and grind them together. Eat one table spoon daily twice a day, morning and evening or night but empty stomach. Celery seeds can be easily purchased from any Indian grocery store. Do this for 2 to 3 months and it will be cured forever! Besides this, also apply sesame oil on affected area. Also grind mint leaves with sugar in equal quantity and store this paste. Every day take one tablespoon of this paste and mix in water and drink twice a day. I am sure this will help! I was suffering from urticaria, tried multiple medicines but this worked wonders for me. Also there are some foods which aggravate the condition, figure out such foods and stop eating them. In my case it was coffee, figure out yours.

Comment from: acha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I had bone marrow biopsy performed today at the cancer hospital and it did hurt during the procedure. However after the procedure there was no pain. The real pain was there for about one minute and that was not unbearable. When it was done the first time five months ago there was no pain but I had severe pain for a few hours afterwards. This is a good test for diagnosis and treatment of blood cancers and if I have to do it again I will do it willingly.

Comment from: M, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 03

My daughter who is now 32, developed chronic daily hives when she was about 12. Absolutely horrible. They presented every day in the afternoon, and gone by morning. They itched like crazy. We went to numerous specialists for about a year and half until one remembered a connection between hives and low/borderline low thyroid function. She went on a low dose of thyroid hormone and the next day, no hives! She hasn't had them since! This does run in families, however, my husband's niece now has the exact symptoms, as did my husband as a child, who never knew what the cause was. Get to an endocrinologist and have your thyroid checked! Even if it's just borderline low.

Comment from: mel1028, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

I am having severe pain in the elbow and when I burp I have severe knife stabbing pains in my elbow. I cannot straighten my arm. I am left handed and it is my left elbow. I take care of my grandsons daily, and one is a year old.

Comment from: Paul, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I'm a 35 year old male with hypothyroidism. My doctors cannot pinpoint the reason as to why I get hives but I attribute it to hypothyroidism and a malfunction in hormones. I seem to get hives after meals and more often so in the winter. I use Allegra and in most cases it works. When I have a major attack I use hydroxyzine gel 10 mg. The hydroxyzine works wonders but it knocks you out. It is a very powerful but a quick solution to quashing my hives. If I have a bad attack and my lips swell up, I will dissolve one of the hydroxyzine pills under my tongue for faster absorption.

Hives - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hives.
Hives - Symptoms Question: What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms?