Patient Comments: Hives - Treatment

What was your treatment for hives?

Comment from: DebB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I have had chronic hives for approximately 15 years...they too came out of no where. One allergist thought it was related to dust mites, the other thought it was triggered by something in my diet. I have been taking 10 mg of Doxepin every 2-4 days and it keeps them under control. I have not increased the dosage and try to wait as long as possible to take one, as I don't like taking medication. My regular doctors have not had a better option, since this works, they keep re-filling my prescription. This drug makes you dopey, so you're to take it before bed. Sometimes my hives are amplified by stress or by something rubbing up against my skin i.e. a rough towel. Hope this helps someone.

Comment from: Ash, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I started to have hives three days ago. I had to take medicine and put cold water and lotion on it. Today, my younger sister got hives and we figured out that we have been eating lots of chocolate. We go to school and drink chocolate milk and once I get back in the class I break out into these itchy hives. Today, I had to go home early because I had some medicine and only a little bit went away. My mom told me to stop eating stuff that has chocolate in it. On Tuesday we will be going to the doctor.

Hives - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hives.
Hives - Symptoms Question: What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms?