Patient Comments: Hives - Treatment

What was your treatment for hives?

Comment from: kim61, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 21

My hives started 5 months ago. It was horrible. Then I had angioedema. I kept getting hives and still have them. The allergist tested me, and I am allergic to potatoes. Well, I finally found out why I am stil getting them even though I have not eaten potatoes. My vitamins and my Allegra have potato flour in them. I bought Zyrtec as it doesn't have potato in it. I hope tomorrow I wake up hive free. I researched potato starch and it's in a lot of food. I really miss eating pizza and Chinese food.

Comment from: Beav177, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I have had hives for almost a year now. I take 3 reactine pills a day prescribed by my allergist. My skin produces too many histamines so until my body gets rid of it I could have these hives up to 2 years or more.

Comment from: Libbit, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I've had hives for at least 5 years now. Sometimes it's worse than other times. I've found cool showers, mineral ice and Benadryl Ready Tabs work the best. Not scratching helps, but is sometimes impossible not to do. Don't touch it! It drives me nuts! There should be some way to get rid of it altogether.

Comment from: Katie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I have had hives on and off for three years. I recently was precribed Zyflo CR. It is really working. Hope this information helps.

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I had hives for about a year ten years ago and now they are back. I find for me eating anything acidic like oranges, tomatoes and any food containing these like ketchup greatly increases the hives so I try to eat very bland foods. Also immersing my feed in a pan of cold water while watching TV, etc brings a lot of relief. Although I have heard Advil can cause hives I find this is one of the best ways to relieve the itching. I am hoping soon for another 10 year span without them when they finally go away.

Comment from: Sheri, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

Had hives off and on for 23 years. Unknown cause. Shortest time 6 months and longest 2 1/2 years. I am now 40. Each episode gets worse and worse attacking everywhere and causing breathing difficulties. My hives are resistant to Zantac, Doxepin, Benedryl, Aerious and Reactine. I still take them all in various doses...and get some relief because I am so doopy. Prednisone always works and gets me a break...60mgs with a slow 1-2 month fade. In the past Plaquenil worked for one bought of hives then didn't the next bought. Danazol 600mgs worked last time and I am trying it again.

Comment from: ikon, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I have had angioedema and pressure induced urticaria for a couple years. The only relief I got was with prednisone but that sent my blood sugar up to high, as I am a diabetic this was not a good thing. My diabetes doctor and family doctor came up with the idea of using "Singulair" as the antihistamines the allergy specialist suggested were not helping. It has been 3 weeks and I have had pretty good results so far. Doing things at work that would normally result in urticaria and nothing is happening so am hopeful this stuff is doing the trick. Bonus is you take 10 mg a day and not to bad of side effects from what I have read and they are cherry flavor chewables. I don't have asthma and never have but curious to know what properties in Singulair take care of my angioe and urticaria.

Comment from: Myriad2, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I was diagnosed with Chronic Autoimmune Urticaria (hives) just over a year ago. I have suffered from them off and on since I was in middle school (I'm 28 now) but never knew the cause until seeing my most recent allergist. I was put on steroids and antihistamines, but my hives continued to be out of control. My doctor then decided to put me on Cyclosporine (an immuno-suppressant) to see if we could get them under control. I was on the Cyclosporine for about 3 months and have been hive-free for over 6 months now.

Hives - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hives.
Hives - Symptoms Question: What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms?